Home

Maximum Football

This is a discussion on Maximum Football within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-14-2007, 02:26 PM   #1
Timbers - Jags - Hokies

The GIGGAS's Arena

OVR: 55
Maximum Football

I've been thinking about creating my own football league in a video game, but I'm not sure... does anyone have it, and if so, what do they think about it?

Member: OS Uni Snob Assoc.
OS OT Post Champ '11

Twitter: @TheGIGGAS_OS
Xbox Live: TheGIGGAS
3DS: 1349-7755-3870
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-16-2007, 04:49 AM   #2
Timbers - Jags - Hokies

The GIGGAS's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: Maximum Football

Come on now, I know someone's had to have tried this game...

Member: OS Uni Snob Assoc.
OS OT Post Champ '11

Twitter: @TheGIGGAS_OS
Xbox Live: TheGIGGAS
3DS: 1349-7755-3870
Old 06-16-2007, 09:35 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 9

I have it and played it a few times it was very buggy but they have released a few patches for it and some of the animations were hard to take but it seems it tried to be a front page sports football clone. I haven't logged a lot of time with

it but i may dig it out again just to see if i can stomach it sorry i couldn't give you much help but i just haven't played it much
Old 06-16-2007, 01:49 PM   #4

ubernoob's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by The GIGGAS
I've been thinking about creating my own football league in a video game, but I'm not sure... does anyone have it, and if so, what do they think about it?
I suggest staying far far away.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:53 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubernoob
I suggest staying far far away.
Agreed, if you start running now, you may be able to escape the black hole of suck that is Maximum Football
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-21-2007, 11:22 PM   #6
MVP

CarryTheWeight's Arena

OVR: 30

I have it, and it truly is a unique title...in some ways more than others. The way the user can mix rules of Canadian, American and Arena football when setting up a league, for me, is the real thing that sets this game apart from others out there. A totally customizable rule set is something console football, especially UNLICENSED console football, needs...2K? You listening? NFL Xtreme 2 on PSX did the same thing a long time back, but only was confined to NFL rules (such as downs and distance). The only thing that's really missing is the possibility of having 100-yard Arena football, but it's technically impossible due to the arena model provided.

Sure, the animations are probably the worst thing the game has going for it. Its running seems like a two-year old doing a bad two-step and the walking back to the huddle takes forever on my end. The game also runs very slowly on powerful machines, for some reason, but patches have fixed those performance quirks. The graphics aren't half bad as people think, though...it's between PS1 and PS2, but I never really made a big deal out of it. Dave Winter worked on most of the game himself, so it's really something to be appreciated in its finer points. The addon community is amazing for this game...my Arena league was abandoned a long time ago but was a great experience making jerseys for the teams I did make jerseys for. For some, its negatives really bring down its positives, but the game surely has potential...and it looks to be actually staying in development with the patches that have really dramatically changed some features of the game.

Here are some screens of my abandoned Arena league and some other jerseys I've done. Once again, not entirely beautiful graphically, but it does its job for a (mostly) one-man production:

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »