Home

CFL 1 pt?

This is a discussion on CFL 1 pt? within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-05-2007, 03:19 PM   #1
All Star

OVR: 24
CFL 1 pt?

I know the rules on the one point, which I can't believe you can miss a fg in ot and still win, but anyways, I was watching the Calgary/Edmonton game and my question is, on the missed field goal from about 35 yds, the Edmonton player fielded it in the back of the endzone and took a knee. Could someone please explain why they don't try to run it out and elect to give Calgary a point?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2007, 03:27 PM   #2
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53
Re: CFL 1 pt?

I didn't watch the game but usually if they're running around in the endzone and then proceed to concede the point it's usually done for

A) to milk time off the clock

or

B) they were trying to get out of the endzone but there were too many defenders around

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 08-05-2007, 06:59 PM   #3
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
I didn't watch the game but usually if they're running around in the endzone and then proceed to concede the point it's usually done for

A) to milk time off the clock

or

B) they were trying to get out of the endzone but there were too many defenders around
But why not try and get out anyway, even if you get tackled? I guess if you fumble then they would be credited a TD, right? I don't know. It was just like weird, there wasn't anyone around him.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:19 PM   #4
NYG_Meth

VanCitySportsGuy's Arena

OVR: 23

SPTO left out the biggest reason. Teams will often give up the point to get better field possession. When you give up the 1pt, you get the take the ball at where the other team tried the FG. I forgot if it's the yard where they kick the ball or where the ball is snapped.

For example if the other team is kicking a long FG, it's usually better to give up the 1pt and take the ball at your own let's say 39 yard line than not giving up 1pt and starting your drive at the 5 yard line (assuming your returner can't get a decent return).
Old 08-06-2007, 07:57 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 14

yup points for failure in the cfl, your never out of a game here, its almost as bad as basketball where the team with the ball last wins,lol.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2007, 08:04 PM   #6
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianflow
SPTO left out the biggest reason. Teams will often give up the point to get better field possession. When you give up the 1pt, you get the take the ball at where the other team tried the FG. I forgot if it's the yard where they kick the ball or where the ball is snapped.

For example if the other team is kicking a long FG, it's usually better to give up the 1pt and take the ball at your own let's say 39 yard line than not giving up 1pt and starting your drive at the 5 yard line (assuming your returner can't get a decent return).
That makes sense then. I can understand that. I don't like the fact you can win in OT with a kick through the endzone whether it makes or misses though. But this is a fun league to watch and is easy to really get into. It's becoming addicting to watch. I haven't watched since the Flutie days, but with it being on DirecTV every week, I'm really enjoying it.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:42 AM   #7
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by highheatkingsb
That makes sense then. I can understand that. I don't like the fact you can win in OT with a kick through the endzone whether it makes or misses though. But this is a fun league to watch and is easy to really get into. It's becoming addicting to watch. I haven't watched since the Flutie days, but with it being on DirecTV every week, I'm really enjoying it.
They don't have to run it out of the endzone on those things though. At the end of regulation if a team misses a field goal with no time left, the team that catches it will often kick the ball back out of the end zone like a punt. They don't care if the other team gets the ball back (with no time left) but they don't want to give up that point to lose. Its like a game of hot potato sometimes.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:35 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by highheatkingsb
I don't like the fact you can win in OT with a kick through the endzone whether it makes or misses though.
Don't forget that the OT system is similar to the NCAA system though. So the only way you can win on a missed FG in OT is if the other team doesn't score at all with their possession.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »