Home

Wouldn't be GREAT if EA bought VC...

This is a discussion on Wouldn't be GREAT if EA bought VC... within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
FIFA 21 Review
Tennis World Tour 2 Review
Doug Flutie's Maximum Football 2020 Review
Poll: Which next-gen console are you going to purchase? (Click to vote)

Old 08-22-2007, 02:13 AM   #17
All Star

HMcCoy's Arena

OVR: 35
Re: Wouldn't be GREAT if EA bought VC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Ronin
Uhm, guys...?
VC did Madden 94 and 95, and the first Bill Walsh game (they also did a baseball game and NHL's 95 & 97 for EA)

They fell out when VC couldn't get the game up and running for the PS1 debut with Madden 96, the only year it didn't release on every platform. They had planned to create football gaming's 1st 3D engine, but they had some issues, meaning no Madden for PS1's first year, which opened the door for the Gameday series to get some run. VC and EA parted ways, while Tiburon, (who had been brought in to take over the SNES/Genesis versions of 96 while VC tackled the PS), was aquired fully and Madden 97-98 went back to the same ol' sprites. Gameday was able to do 3D by Gameday 98, and Madden followed with Madden 64 and then finally a 3D PS1 Madden in 99. As usual, VC was 2-3 years ahead of the curve then, and they remain so today.

I imagine that EA lost a ton of money by not coming out with the PS1 version, and this was probably the end of any and all aggressive football game innovations, and the main reason why to this very day Madden lives by incremental, manageable year to year improvements, instead of the sweeping changes we all would love to see. They'll never again let a Madden-less year go by, and when they break records every year in sales, why bother with envelope-pushing? I hate it, but it makes alot of sense considering they've already been burned once. I'll bet that wa one tense stockholder meeting back in 96, lol.

VC packed up their 3d engine and took it to Sega...the rest being history as they say. I always thought it ironic that had VC gotten that 1st 3D Madden ready on time, we'd probably still be playing VC-created Maddens to this day, and all the Madden zombies that won't even try the 2k games would be happily playing them right now anyway.

[deep, deep sigh....]

Last edited by HMcCoy; 08-22-2007 at 05:52 AM.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:09 AM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 3

Hank? Is that you? Great post! Nice to meet someone else who remembers videogame history - before some guy at EA started editing their Wikipedia entries. Interesting that it apparently never occurred to EA that it would be cheaper to either: 1) Buy Visual Concepts themselves; or 2) Actually make a decent game; than 3) Spending 300 Million bucks out of hand to get the NFL license exclusively. Yeah. I'm sure those guys still have jobs.

Red Ronin
A giant robot constructed on the authority of S.H.I.E.L.D. and the U.N. by Stark Enterprises, the original RED RONIN was created to stop the global menace perpetuated by the continued existence of Godzilla. He failed.

[Red Ronin's posts are Closed Captioned for the Humour Impaired.]
Old 08-22-2007, 04:31 AM   #19
All Star

HMcCoy's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Ronin
Hank? Is that you? Great post! Nice to meet someone else who remembers videogame history - before some guy at EA started editing their Wikipedia entries. Interesting that it apparently never occurred to EA that it would be cheaper to either: 1) Buy Visual Concepts themselves; or 2) Actually make a decent game; than 3) Spending 300 Million bucks out of hand to get the NFL license exclusively. Yeah. I'm sure those guys still have jobs.

Red Ronin

Yeah...funny how they've wiped the VC developed games from the memory banks and claimed Tiburon did them, while every Visual Concepts company profile shows those Maddens and Walsh on their resume. Want more irony?

The "If it's in the game, it's in the game" slogan was born with VC's Madden 94. According to Wiki, in VC's stint as football devs, they also introduced:

-Full stat tracking
-no passing windows
-Flip play
-Play-call mode
-automatic or manual-pass catch mode
-audibles
-reverse angle replay
-onside kicks
-four weather conditions (fair, windy, rain and snow)
-three different quarter lengths (5, 10 and 15 minutes)
-hurry-up offense
-Bluff play

I really wonder if anyone can honestly point to any 2-year span of Madden that added more significant on-the-field additions than VC did back then.

Last edited by HMcCoy; 08-22-2007 at 04:37 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »