Home

Tecmo Bowl is sooooooo much fun!

This is a discussion on Tecmo Bowl is sooooooo much fun! within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-12-2007, 01:49 AM   #9
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Tecmo Bowl is sooooooo much fun!

I was a big TSB fan, and wonder if a modern day version could work? A version a little more realistic than the 1991NES version, but faster paced and less complex than the sims of today.

A game that would be quick to learn....perhaps 4 buttons instead of 10+ that we see with sims. With no penalties or presnap adjustments, and a more basic playbook that would facilitate quicker playcalls. Basically to increase the amount of time actually running plays.

But while the game would be simple to play, it would be true to the sport. Players won't catch on fire or do WWE body slam tackles. QB's won't be able to throw 100 yards. Punting and field position would be important. QB completion % and yards would be realistic as would running stats. A good running game would set up play action, and a screen would work against a blitz etc. In 30 minutes a full game could be played ending with a realistic score. While the controls and playbook would be scaled back, the action on the field would be varied unlike pure arcade games that quickly get repetive.

Without all the intracacies, it would be easier to QC the game. And ideally there would be no money plays, yet all plays in the playbook would have a chance of success.

Now that I am used to the complex games we have today, I am not sure if I would really get into a modern Tecmo.....but I sure would give it a shot.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:29 AM   #10
MVP

FunkDockta27's Arena

OVR: 17

Heck I used to join online leagues for tecmo superbowl....been a few years since i done that tho...

ah those were the days tho

i was in 3 leagues...sucked at 2 of them, was whoopin it up in the third tho...

my favorite was the one for the original tsb...i used to tear people up with Dexter Carter...could run like all day with him...one season i drafted Bo Jackson...plan didnt work...guess its because i caught these guys off guard running with Dexter...out of the shotgun...the one play where it gets snapped right to the HB...

goin on ebay this weekend now to find me a good NES and TSB now....woo hoo!!!!

Ill teach my daughter how to play that cuz like the guy above was saying too many buttons and stuff now, its too rough to teach a 7 yr old girl (even tho she really WANTS to play NCAA 08 as Daddys Gators) all the controls...tho i was working with her pretty hardcore on MLB 07 The Game...definately her fathers kid lol

FIFA12 PS3
St Pats 44 pts; 2nd place

NCAA14 PS3
Career W-L: 50-39
NoTex 2013 CUSA Champs
Old 09-22-2007, 03:35 AM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 2

I've spent six years playing Tecmo Super Bowl on the NES, in total, throughout my life. I'm starting a seventh now that a friend of mine found a copy of it sitting at the edge of a table at the very front of a book fair on its last day. What providence!

It makes a great "gateway game". A friend of mine -- who barely knows football as a sport -- transitioned through TSB to 2k5 one drunken night . . . it was a Dr. Phil-worthy breakthrough. TSB has always, to me, been the most pure-fun football gaming experience. Even people who don't know football can play it.

(Of course, I'm a bona-fide gridiron stat-nerd myself, and I love 2k5. It's just a much tougher game to teach.)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-22-2007, 04:43 PM   #12
Timbers - Jags - Hokies

The GIGGAS's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardot
I was a big TSB fan, and wonder if a modern day version could work? A version a little more realistic than the 1991NES version, but faster paced and less complex than the sims of today.

A game that would be quick to learn....perhaps 4 buttons instead of 10+ that we see with sims. With no penalties or presnap adjustments, and a more basic playbook that would facilitate quicker playcalls. Basically to increase the amount of time actually running plays.

But while the game would be simple to play, it would be true to the sport. Players won't catch on fire or do WWE body slam tackles. QB's won't be able to throw 100 yards. Punting and field position would be important. QB completion % and yards would be realistic as would running stats. A good running game would set up play action, and a screen would work against a blitz etc. In 30 minutes a full game could be played ending with a realistic score. While the controls and playbook would be scaled back, the action on the field would be varied unlike pure arcade games that quickly get repetive.

Without all the intracacies, it would be easier to QC the game. And ideally there would be no money plays, yet all plays in the playbook would have a chance of success.

Now that I am used to the complex games we have today, I am not sure if I would really get into a modern Tecmo.....but I sure would give it a shot.
Well you've got a shot in 2008.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/05/11/te...turns-in-2008/

http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Sto...0851.49147.htm

I just recently started a season in TSB for SNES... as the Redskins. How the **** did I beat the Lions with Barry and the Cowboys with Emmitt... I will never know.

Mark Rypien is a f'n beast, though.

Member: OS Uni Snob Assoc.
OS OT Post Champ '11

Twitter: @TheGIGGAS_OS
Xbox Live: TheGIGGAS
3DS: 1349-7755-3870
Old 10-11-2007, 12:26 PM   #13
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by The GIGGAS
Well you've got a shot in 2008.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/05/11/te...turns-in-2008/

http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Sto...0851.49147.htm

I just recently started a season in TSB for SNES... as the Redskins. How the **** did I beat the Lions with Barry and the Cowboys with Emmitt... I will never know.

Mark Rypien is a f'n beast, though.
I hope they release it for the PS3 and it has the old school flavour. I would definately give it a rental to see if it captures the old magic.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »