Home

Football And Video Games

This is a discussion on Football And Video Games within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-23-2007, 01:54 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Football And Video Games

Hey all of you at Operation Sports! I've got a quick question for ya...I've been playing video game football for awhile now (2k, Madden, even the old Front Page Sports for those that know what I'm talking about...Heck, even Tecmo Super Bowl). I've gotten by pretty decently over the years, winning slightly more than losing, but I honestly don't understand the game of football as much I should. What I do know are the little quirks in the various games that can be used (throwing a bomb in older versions of madden), but I don't have a good grasp of the strategy involved in playing a game.

Normally this wouldn't bother me, but with the Madden series (and 2K when it was big) started putting a little more emphasis on knowing the fundamentals of the game as an edge in winning. I'm wondering where I can go or what I can read to understand the game a little better and maybe get a grasp on why certain matchups work better than others and how to read certain plays to be able to adapt to situations. I know I could just go to the bookstore and pick up some random books, but I thought I'd throw it out to the people and get your opinion on what I should do. Thanks!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-23-2007, 11:01 PM   #2
MVP

TheGamingChef's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Football And Video Games

Best thing to do, honestly, is just watch the game. You will see and hear everything you need to know.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:17 PM   #3
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22

If you still have your old 2K5 copy, you can check out a little bit of football fundementals in the in game manual.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:02 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

Listen to quality announces who know how the game is played-Phil Simms, Dan Dierdorf. Primarily, 90% of the plays in any given NFL game are short plays of no more than 10 yards. What creates the separation is the level of talent of the players, and the more talented players can complete the big play. Philosophies vary by team, and different philosophies have worked in the past. Typically, Super Bowl winners have one of the top defenses, if not the top one in the NFL, while having at least an average offense (this example is best shown in the Baltimore Ravens and Tampa Bay Buccaneers Super Bowl victories). The idea that offense wins games and defense wins championships generally holds true. Aside from that, it really differs by team how the game is played.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »