Home

Post-Football bitterness...

This is a discussion on Post-Football bitterness... within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-13-2007, 10:47 AM   #33
All Star

Aggies7's Arena

OVR: 39
Re: Post-Football bitterness...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soldier
I never got to play defense. The coach said I was too important to the offense.

I tried explaining to him that I didn't care about how it affected the team, I just wanted to play defense because I'm a ****ing soulja.
Yea I was a 3 year starter at QB in high school, and like you never played Defense. But it was good for me because during defensive practice and drills, I would watch film and try to get a good read on the defense.

There is nothing better than coming to the line and knowing exactly how the defensive backs are going to react to a 7 (post corner), and then to roll out and look off the safety and hit the backside 8 (post).

Film helped me a lot, not only against teams, but to watch my own games so I could work on technique. By my junior year I stated off setting my feet before the snap because it would help me get into my drop quicker.

But I cant say I am bitter for the simple fact that I had an offer to play D-2 football and had a D-3 program (Salisbury) interested (I dont think D-3 programs can offer football scholarships, correct me if I am wrong but that is what my high school coach told us during the recruiting process), but I turned them down, due to a knee injury that would have required surgery.

Colorado Avalanche
Colorado Rockies
Old 11-13-2007, 11:13 AM   #34
Banned

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggies7
But I cant say I am bitter for the simple fact that I had an offer to play D-2 football and had a D-3 program (Salisbury) interested (I dont think D-3 programs can offer football scholarships, correct me if I am wrong but that is what my high school coach told us during the recruiting process), but I turned them down, due to a knee injury that would have required surgery.
Did you happen to play in Frederick, PG, or Montgomery county?
Old 11-13-2007, 11:24 AM   #35
All Star

Aggies7's Arena

Quote:
Did you happen to play in Frederick, PG, or Montgomery county?
Yea Montgomery County

The two that recruited me were:
D-2 Carson Newman
D-3 Salisbury

Where did you play?

Colorado Avalanche
Colorado Rockies

Last edited by Aggies7; 11-13-2007 at 11:28 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-13-2007, 11:34 AM   #36
Banned

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggies7
Yea Montgomery County

The two that recruited me were:
D-2 Carson Newman
D-3 Salisbury

Where did you play?
I played at Urbana. Aside from the steroid use and a strange amount of legal troubles for an area that nice, we had a pretty decent program.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:39 AM   #37
All Star

Aggies7's Arena

Quote:
I played at Urbana. Aside from the steroid use and a strange amount of legal troubles for an area that nice, we had a pretty decent program.
Yea yall were a powerhouse. But yea legal troubles definately around that area and I think they are still going on, but I wont mention any names. Great program up there.

Anyways I dont want to get all that far off topic. But yea I cant be bitter, I mean injuries happen, I didnt feel surgery was worth playing at a D-3 school, so I didnt play in college, but I am not bitter, however would love to get into coaching.

Colorado Avalanche
Colorado Rockies

Last edited by Aggies7; 11-13-2007 at 11:42 AM.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:57 AM   #38
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
I agree with this. There were a few visits I had even on the JuCo level and there were some blantant things. I had the 40 time, strength on the bench, and better grades but I'm not that tall. I was only 5'11 1/2 220 and still am. With spikes on I'm 6'0 . But anyways, there were guys coming in that were 6'2, 6'3, 6'4 230 lbs, had the same 40 time and maybe two less reps on the bench and their grades were not ideal. But who do you think had the upper hand? I was first team all state with Derrick Brooks in High School but it did not matter. Sometimes there are some things that do go on that make you wonder. But anyways, I got my shot and am damn happy for it. But my right knee reminds me of those days even now
You know what they say. You can't coach "size". I think too much emphasis is put on measurables and not enough is put on guys who can flat out play.

We had a kid who played corner, he was short, and he ran slow 40 times, couldn't jump. His measurables were terrible.

But the thing is, when the lights went on, he was a whole different player, and he was probably one of the best defensive backs I have ever seen. He ended up leading California in intercpeption at the juco level and went on to play at the next level.

Hell you don't have to look any farther than Jeff Garcia. You watch him in practice and you think "This guy can't play a lick". When the lights go on, he's a totally different player.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:40 PM   #39
MVP

cch99's Arena

OVR: 9

[quote=bkrich83;2037900564]You know what they say. You can't coach "size". I think too much emphasis is put on measurables and not enough is put on guys who can flat out play.

I agree 100%. You see this all the time in Pro Sports. That's why a guy can be drafted late and be better than a 1st Round Pick. They base so much on the combine and then you have busts or guys who never live up to the hype. Say, like a Mike Mamula.

When I was in HS and played Basketball I was 5'11" and weighed 125. I was a stick. I had the slowest suicide time and the worst vertical leap on the team. And yet after the season I was second team-all league. The guy I mentioned earlier who was the coach's son told me his Dad didn't play me when I was on JV because I was too thin. Yet in the last game freakin game of the year he got so fed up with how poor the one kid was playing he put me in the last two mimuties of a game we were trailing by like 9. I scored 5 points and had two steals. I think that's how I started getting playing time my Junior year because the Varsity Coach was watching the end of the game from the locker room door.

So yeah, if a guy has game let him play. Just because someone's not your prototypical requirements for a position doesn't mean he can't get it done. Look at Charles Barkley. The guys was what 6'6" and played PF in the NBA and is a Hall-of-Famer. He didn't have the size height wise and was kind of fat coming out of Auburn yet he was a great player. That is more frustrating to me then anything is when people don't get a chance based potentail over getting the job done.

Last edited by cch99; 11-13-2007 at 12:47 PM.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:38 PM   #40
UGH, next year

cjonesfan921's Arena

OVR: 28

Wiffleball is my ****ing sport. If it was an actualy pro sport, I'd definitely make it. I'm like Sheffield with the bat, since the bat is so light, I even have the bat waggle. In high school gym, I batted 1.000, yes I am awesome.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »