Home

Post-Football bitterness...

This is a discussion on Post-Football bitterness... within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-13-2007, 04:22 PM   #41
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64
Re: Post-Football bitterness...

[quote=cch99;2037900663]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
You know what they say. You can't coach "size". I think too much emphasis is put on measurables and not enough is put on guys who can flat out play.

I agree 100%. You see this all the time in Pro Sports. That's why a guy can be drafted late and be better than a 1st Round Pick. They base so much on the combine and then you have busts or guys who never live up to the hype. Say, like a Mike Mamula.

When I was in HS and played Basketball I was 5'11" and weighed 125. I was a stick. I had the slowest suicide time and the worst vertical leap on the team. And yet after the season I was second team-all league. The guy I mentioned earlier who was the coach's son told me his Dad didn't play me when I was on JV because I was too thin. Yet in the last game freakin game of the year he got so fed up with how poor the one kid was playing he put me in the last two mimuties of a game we were trailing by like 9. I scored 5 points and had two steals. I think that's how I started getting playing time my Junior year because the Varsity Coach was watching the end of the game from the locker room door.

So yeah, if a guy has game let him play. Just because someone's not your prototypical requirements for a position doesn't mean he can't get it done. Look at Charles Barkley. The guys was what 6'6" and played PF in the NBA and is a Hall-of-Famer. He didn't have the size height wise and was kind of fat coming out of Auburn yet he was a great player. That is more frustrating to me then anything is when people don't get a chance based potentail over getting the job done.
Yup. How many "workout warriors" do we see come through the combine, get drafted high and then immediately show they can't play have we seen?

Running for times in a t-shirt and shorts is a whole lot different than playing at game speed.

At least imo.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-13-2007, 04:33 PM   #42
Banned

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Yup. How many "workout warriors" do we see come through the combine, get drafted high and then immediately show they can't play have we seen?

Running for times in a t-shirt and shorts is a whole lot different than playing at game speed.

At least imo.
I'm not a fan of workout warriors, but I'll take them most of the time over the too slow, too small players (especially too slow), especially on the high school going to college level. There's just way too much difference between the quality of competitions in high school to accurately judge a player purely on on-field results.

Even if the workout warriors are busts, they'll typically at least be good at something. The giant OL can typically at least run block, and a really fast player can be used in some capacity. A player who is too slow is typically worthless.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:59 PM   #43
Hall Of Fame

NYJets's Arena

OVR: 26

I think we all agree that politics do go on in pretty much all levels of sports, but I mean eventually if you are really, really good, you'll get your shot. I've been the victim of politics in sports too, and it cost me some playing time in baseball in high school.....but that's it. It's not like I was going to play D1 in college, or probably anywhere in college. If I was really good enough, no politics were going to keep me off the field and from getting a shot.

I mean, it sucks when it happens, but I really doubt there's many All Americans riding the bench in high school because the coach doesn't like you.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:56 PM   #44
MVP

cch99's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soldier
I'm not a fan of workout warriors, but I'll take them most of the time over the too slow, too small players (especially too slow), especially on the high school going to college level. There's just way too much difference between the quality of competitions in high school to accurately judge a player purely on on-field results.

Even if the workout warriors are busts, they'll typically at least be good at something. The giant OL can typically at least run block, and a really fast player can be used in some capacity. A player who is too slow is typically worthless.
When you think about all the levels of College Sport, D1, D2, D3, Juco, Community College there is room some where for people with good talent even if they don't have all the physical tools.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:57 PM   #45
MVP

cch99's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJets
I think we all agree that politics do go on in pretty much all levels of sports, but I mean eventually if you are really, really good, you'll get your shot. I've been the victim of politics in sports too, and it cost me some playing time in baseball in high school.....but that's it. It's not like I was going to play D1 in college, or probably anywhere in college. If I was really good enough, no politics were going to keep me off the field and from getting a shot.

I mean, it sucks when it happens, but I really doubt there's many All Americans riding the bench in high school because the coach doesn't like you.
Wholeheartedly Agree.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-14-2007, 01:08 PM   #46
DC
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakfan162

Scored 4 TDs. HS MVP. Coulda gone pro...
My man Al
Old 11-17-2007, 12:31 AM   #47
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46

I have a great story that proves there is rampant politics in high school sports. I was a catcher, I played jv as a freshman and then my sophmore year i played varsity, but my coach was good friends with a new freshman's parents who also was a catcher. I threw out 64% of runners steeling and hit .484 my freshman year at the jv level. this kid comes up and i swear to God he is 5'5'' 115 lbs, no arm whatsoever. and he couldnt hit the ball out of the infield to save his life. All of the sudden he is the starting catcher. and im chewing pine with my ***. Our best pitcher and good friend of mine who got drafted by the white sox threw 94. when this kid caught him his glove would fly off sometimes when the ball hit it. it was amazing.

so after 4 or 5 games this pitcher went to the coach and said you gotta play PJ he is much better. so then we started splitting time. by the time the season ended his ba was .000 he threw out 0% of the runners. Junior year rolls around and im like hey how about i move to third base. My coach lughed at me and said you arent an infielder. so once again we split time behind the plate. Practice started for our senior year and i went to the coach and told him i expect to get the majority of playing time behind the plate this year. He told me and i quote "then you must be transfering schools." I was prtty much in shock, so the next day i went into his room he taught in and threw my uniform at him and said find another player to Di#k around.

The next year I walked on at Kent State and made the team. My freshman year i played in 8 games all at 3rd base. Unfortunatly though that offseason i blew out my arm throwing and couldnt play again.

Sorry this was so long but this is the ultimate case of politics in hs sports. I prob could have had a scholarship or even been drafted. I was very angry and bitter for a long time, but i have moved on and it doesnt bother me anymore.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:05 AM   #48
MVP

Rainey's Arena

OVR: 16

The only bitterness I have is my freaking size. I have(had) decent athletic abilities, but for somebody like me who is 5'7, you have to have extraordinary abilities to make an impact on the college level and I just didn't have that kinda talent. So, I'll just remember my high school years fondly of being a star athlete and try to forget those two humbling attempts at trying to play college ball... lol

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »