Home

Five Key Things to Improve Non-Licensed Football Games

This is a discussion on Five Key Things to Improve Non-Licensed Football Games within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-16-2008, 12:43 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Five Key Things to Improve Non-Licensed Football Games

Operation Sports writer Caley Roark checks in today with an article discussing five key aspects non-licensed football games could improve to be competitive with Madden. Check out the article and give us your thoughts!

Quote:
"Like a film studio trying to make a movie with no A-list stars, video game publishers have an difficult task when it comes to releasing an unlicensed football game. In both cases, it's not impossible to create a quality product by any means, but conventional wisdom says not to expect record-breaking sales. So, what can game publishers do to create the next Blair Witch Project of non-NFL football games?"
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-16-2008, 01:39 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 10
I was expecting more from this article. Why not go the total customization route? Games such as Baseball Stars did this years ago. What about thinking outside the box and putting fun factor ahead of all else. What about adding some drama and excitement with the use of cinema screens that adds tension to a game ala Tecmo Bowl. To me I rather play Tecmo Superbowl from back in the NES days becasue it's just plain fun and exciting to play. The football games of today are just more of the same and are sometimes to complicated and intimidating to play. Keep the game simple, part arcade for the fun factor and part simulation for the NFL feel and you'll have a winner on your hands. Make the game stand out in the crowd of more of the same with such things as the presentation aspects of the game such as cinema screens for a more dramatic and exciting feel. I've been dreaming about the day when a new Tecmo football would be made and I could again spend endless hours playing the game of football on my television. I can't say that I've done that for years.

Last edited by rm217; 05-16-2008 at 03:44 PM.
Old 05-16-2008, 02:59 PM   #3
MVP

yamabushi's Arena

OVR: 37
Hers the 5 things they need(specifically APF);
1. Franchise
2. Customization
3. Franchise
4. Franchise
5. Franchise
Old 05-16-2008, 06:34 PM   #4
Greatness Personified

J_Posse's Arena

OVR: 23
I actually agree with alot the points made in this piece. Developers need to think outside the "box," so to speak, and create a new and fully realized experience with a generic pro football title. I'm hoping we get a solid attempt from someone in the near future.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:10 PM   #5
Pro

acarrero's Arena

Gameplay is most important, but I would focus on improving the "context" part. You can create a fictional league with a lot of detail, especially in this next gen era.

I would have about 10 superstars that you really get to know, guys like a Randy Moss-type reciever, but obviosuly different in some way. A Jerome Bettis-like RB who can run over anybody. Imagine the ads for the game. Commercials could be like "Introducing JJ Blake" witth an in-game and cut-scene montage of he flash dual-threat quarterback for he Cincinnati Redbears (?). Do that for several players and teams. You could also use real athletes or actors to portray some of these fictional players and coaches. For example (in a real high budget version of this game), Pacino could play the coach of the Miami Sharks with Jamie Fox as the voice of their QB.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-18-2008, 02:05 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 24
The first console game that tries to go the total customization route will get sued by the NFL.
2K knew this, that's why they didn't do it with APF ... which is a damn shame.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:50 PM   #7
S**c*d* P**l C*-Ch*mp**n

OVR: 40
Re: Five Key Things to Improve Non-Licensed Football Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave374
The first console game that tries to go the total customization route will get sued by the NFL.
2K knew this, that's why they didn't do it with APF ... which is a damn shame.

Not true,, As long as the company doesn't provided NFL license iems they will be fine.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:51 PM   #8
MVP

Heres what APF needs
Make 2K5 generic. Expand on its customization.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »