Home

Times are a changing (my love for the NFL)

This is a discussion on Times are a changing (my love for the NFL) within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-30-2008, 11:25 AM   #1
Hall Of Fame

Brandwin's Arena

OVR: 50
Times are a changing (my love for the NFL)

It started about a year or so ago and each year has gotten stronger, my love for the NFL is not as strong as it once was, but my love for college football has grown and grown and I'm not sure why.

I have always loved the NFL and the San Francisco 49ers, every since I was a child. I have always enjoyed College football as well, just not nearly as much as the NFL, but the last few years that has changed. I have followed College Football more and more and the NFL has received less time from me. I hardly followed any of the offseason in the NFL, from free agency to the draft, the NFL offseason got little attention from me. One could say, well maybe it's because the Niners are so horrible now and I would agree, if the team I followed in college wasn't Baylor.

So I am not sure why the change and its not a bad thing, just thought I would share.

I dunno too much
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-30-2008, 11:37 AM   #2
Livin' the dream

Stumbleweed's Arena

OVR: 39
Re: Times are a changing (my love for the NFL)

Yeah, I don't have any real allegiances anymore in the NFL and have basically checked out completely as of last season. Didn't even watch the whole Super Bowl last year actually.. no playoff games, maybe 1 regular season game (Broncos)... I honestly think that most of it was due to Madden being the only NFL game and me simply not being very interested in it the past few years. This year's looks a lot better so I might check it out and re-ignite my interest in football.. But yeah, I'm not necessarily a Broncos fan, but I root for them just because I live in Denver -- them sucking lately has been part of the reason, but I honestly don't know 95% of the new players (in the last 2-3 years) and have missed most free agency moves.. so I need Madden to get me back on board hah..

NBA owns.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:49 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

Brandwin's Arena

OVR: 50

Don't get me wrong I still enjoy the NFL a ton. I watched a lot of games last year (didn't have Directv so I didn't see many NIner games) but come Sunday I was in front of the TV. I actually watched quite a few Cowboys games.

Its just that I don't seem to follow it as closely as I used to. I still follow and I still enjoy the NFL, just not as much I guess.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:45 PM   #4
F**tb*ll F*n*t*c

Fetter21's Arena

OVR: 30

I'm kinda with you on this one Dookie, my interest in college football has been growing over the past 5 years, and now it might actually have pulled even with my love for the NFL (something I never thought would happen). Finding myself with less time and more responsibilities I find myself able to fit in about 2 games per week. I always try to find a way to watch the Raiders, but with the other one I find myself picking a great college game to watch, rather than another game from the NFL.

One thing that could be attributing to this is the parity in the NFL, I think that might have something to do with it. There are many great things about parity, such as the fact that getting a few breaks here and there teams that were horrible the past season could turn into playoff teams, or at least .500 teams the next season. So parity is great for giving everyone in the league hope about their own team.

However I think there are also areas that parity hurts the NFL's hype, there's something to say about knowing who the top dogs, and who the people at the bottom are going to be each year. Sure you get some sense of that with teams like the Pats, Colts, Chargers, and Cowboys, but I'd say for the most part the fact that all the teams are pretty much within key 3rd down conversion, or a turnover here and there of each other, and that could hurt the league. That's something that college football offers with all the major schools like USC, Florida, Ohio State, Texas and all the other major schools that you know will be top calibur programs every year. You're gonna get some games where you get to watch these programs just demolish schools of lesser calibur, which I think is fun to watch every now and then, but then you also get to look forward to these big matchups. I know there is some sense to that in the NFL, but not quite like college football.

kinda like you, I'm not quite sure what it is, but I think this might be a factor that draw in some interest for the college game.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:55 PM   #5
Just some dude...

BobbyColtrane's Arena

OVR: 15

the BCS shenanigans have actually moved the needle in the other direction for me. i didn't watch a single BCS game last year.

i love the NFL and the NBA. college sports, eh, not so much.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »