Home

Odds of another Arena Football League Game?

This is a discussion on Odds of another Arena Football League Game? within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
FIFA 21 Review
Tennis World Tour 2 Review
Doug Flutie's Maximum Football 2020 Review
Poll: Which next-gen console are you going to purchase? (Click to vote)
View Poll Results: Odds of another Arena Football game
0% - 20% 12 60.00%
21% - 40% 3 15.00%
41% - 60% 3 15.00%
61% - 80% 1 5.00%
81% - 100% 1 5.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-27-2008, 04:42 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
Odds of another Arena Football League Game?

What are the odds that there will ever be another Arena Football League game?
NCAA Football: Nebraska and Virginia Tech
NCAA Basketball: North Carolina
NBA: I HATE NBA!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-01-2008, 08:53 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 7
Re: Odds of another Arena Football League Game?

The sad part about this is this is one game that probably translates to a video game best. Real NFL is slow and methodical and video game football is too fast and gimicky (Madden); Real NHL is a lot slower with less one timers and big hits than its video game companion; and basketball players do not cycle the ball as quickly or do five million spins and jukes en route to another highlight reel slam. But Arena actually translates well...there are long bombs for TDs about every third play; there are hits that knock a guy over the board; and there are rapidly called plays.

The problem is, the EA version was as watered down as you can get. Only put out on last gen consoles with a sequel that was only a roster update and then on PS2 only, it was doomed to fail. Add to that no announcers, no draft, and no franchise options and you have a game that is DOA. And now, in typical fashion, EA will sit on its license and not produce a game all while not allowing anyone else to make one either.

I realize the AFL is not as big as Baker wanted to think it was...no one bought the trading cards or the preview magazines so they are gone. Fair enough. Franchises aren't worth $20M so teams fold quickly. Got it. But to think that there is no video game because EA is just sitting on the license and when they did produce a game it was only for last gen with limited options really makes me ask what the AFL was thinking letting that company showcase its product in the digital environment. If EA actually produced a next gen game with commentary, franchise options, and good music and graphics, I think it would sell. But sadly, we may never know.

P.S. I voted for the 0-20 option.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »