Home

online football manager

This is a discussion on online football manager within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-03-2008, 05:01 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
online football manager

I know of only 2 online football management games, one is Deeproute in which you have a closed league system and Grid-Iron which uses an open league system enabling you to play against managers from the whole world. I'm quite partial to the second (the idea of playing against the best from the whole world appeals to me) so I'll go with that one

IMHO there are several things that are important in an online management game.
1. the ability to create a formation/tactics and watch the game live (be it with 2d representation or with a text viewer - the later is true for Grid-Iron)
2. Control over players (buying/selling and training)
3. Miscellaneous small features that draw you to the game even when there is no games scheduled - for me (in GI) this is the youth pull and the building and upgrading of facilities and stadium (nice graphical representation of the stadium is a big bonus here)
4. Probably the most important one for me, a good community. Here GI hasn't disappointed me. Although the community is still fairly small compared to the great management games (hattrick comes to mind) it's got that "homely" feel to it. In my opinion a civilized discussion environment (with some spice to top it off) is always a good thing.

Anyway, if I sparked your interest you can check it out at http://www.grid-iron.org

And feel free to ask here if you have some questions about the game
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-12-2008, 06:22 PM   #2
Pro

kwpit79's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: online football manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane001
I know of only 2 online football management games, one is Deeproute in which you have a closed league system and Grid-Iron which uses an open league system enabling you to play against managers from the whole world. I'm quite partial to the second (the idea of playing against the best from the whole world appeals to me) so I'll go with that one

IMHO there are several things that are important in an online management game.
1. the ability to create a formation/tactics and watch the game live (be it with 2d representation or with a text viewer - the later is true for Grid-Iron)
2. Control over players (buying/selling and training)
3. Miscellaneous small features that draw you to the game even when there is no games scheduled - for me (in GI) this is the youth pull and the building and upgrading of facilities and stadium (nice graphical representation of the stadium is a big bonus here)
4. Probably the most important one for me, a good community. Here GI hasn't disappointed me. Although the community is still fairly small compared to the great management games (hattrick comes to mind) it's got that "homely" feel to it. In my opinion a civilized discussion environment (with some spice to top it off) is always a good thing.

Anyway, if I sparked your interest you can check it out at http://www.grid-iron.org

And feel free to ask here if you have some questions about the game
I just signed up. Apparently I'm on a waiting list. Hopefully doesn't take too long. Have you checked out sportsims.net? It's a text-based management game that's free and a blast to play.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:41 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 6

I have tried SportSims.net too and I agree with kwpit79 it is great fun. OS did a review of it and gave it a 9 of 10. It is a great game!

Last edited by solson; 12-30-2008 at 03:43 AM.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:29 PM   #4
MVP

Matt Diesel's Arena

OVR: 20

I did the same for grid-iron.org. On a waiting list so we will see.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:24 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 4

i got on the waiting list too,
seems like this game will be coooooooo

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-31-2008, 01:17 PM   #6
MVP

Matt Diesel's Arena

I got approved but I dont know. It seems like it was made by people who know European football. It is like Football Manager with just American football clothes. It really has no semblance of how any level of football works in the US. Who has youth teams in football? The training skills are attacking-defending-kicking-tactics-fitness. Sounds like soccer. My QB can not only play QB, he can also play defensive line and kick returner!

It has bids, club transfers, etc. Everything you see in soccer. Kills it for me really. No FA, draft, etc.

My offensive lineman should not be able to play cornerback. Dumb.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:42 PM   #7
MVP

Matt Diesel's Arena

OK. By far, deeproute.com is the better of the two. IMHO of course. More like American football. It draws you in better. The only thing it doesnt have is exact play calls and 2D replay. It does have like a gamecenter replay and detailed logs. I like how there is a grading stat for lineman, FA signings, drafts and contract negotiations. Its more GM, than coaching in a sense.

Once it has private leagues and such, it will be even better.

I am in a league that has some openings if anyone want to check it out. Its league 26 FYI. I think there are 6 or so teams left.

Last edited by Matt Diesel; 01-05-2009 at 03:44 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:05 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 0

New game american football.Really is very good!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »