Home

Black College Football - The Xperience: What's Behind the Name?

This is a discussion on Black College Football - The Xperience: What's Behind the Name? within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 10:25 AM   #57
Banned

OVR: 5
Re: Black College Football - The Xperience: What's Behind the Name?

Noble,

I grew up in Stuttgart, AR--about 30 miles from Pine Bluff, home of UAPB. So yeah, I know the campus and have a lot of friends who went there.

Rockchisler: Riiiiight. I offer an alternative viewpoint and that means I'm automatically uneducated. If you are going to insult someone's educational level, at least use decent grammar.

I would love for either one of you to tell me where I'm so off base to say that the term HBC is outdated and unnecessary. It's fine to disagree with me, but calling me uneducated or out of touch or whatever is ridiculous. If that is the best you can do, you are better off not trying.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:26 AM   #58
bup
Rookie

OVR: 1
those who think this game is racist then you're very wrong. Doug Williams didn't make this game because it's ''black.'' He just wants people to see and feel the meaning of black college football, since EA SPORTS's NCAA FOOTBALL took out black teams such as Southern Jaguars and Grambling Tigers; but just the whole entire division 2 colleges.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:30 AM   #59
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pike
No, at this point in history you are not. No one attending Grambling or UAPB has been excluded from anywhere else. And true, no is being excluded from these schools by any rule or regulation.

But it is common sense that, all other things being equal (academics for instance)---if I'm a white person, I'm not going to be nearly as comfortable going somewhere that designates itself as a "Black" College. And of course then the question is, is that my fault or the school's. I don't know exactly, but I tend to think it's the schools fault, because they are the one introducing this element, not me as the white student.

The same goes for churches. Here in the south, we still have churches they call themselves 'Black' churches. And all over the country, black fraternities do not participate in the Inter-Fraternity or Pan-Hellenic councils of their schools, but rather in their own 'black fraternity' organizations.

Like I said, the list goes on. But the theme is the same: black people have gone from being segregated, to segregating themselves. And I think that is sad--though not entirely their fault as a culture to be sure.

At this point, I simply think it is antiquated to have these labels in a time when we are lead by a black man named Obama.

My whole point in this, is that these schools need to drop the label. It began in an entirely different time and place, and has no more significance now than the Rebel flag does (which has, for years, been mislabled and abused as a symbol of racism--which it is certainly not. Anyone who has truly studied the Civil War knows that racism was a tiny, tiny fraction of the issues which lead to the conflict. The Union did NOT go to war with the South to free the slaves--it was simply a small part of the package that, over time, was crafted into the central theme of the conflict. I will challenge anyone to debate that historical fact. The average white Southerner at the time lived in conditions that, while not as bad as most black people of the time, was still very deplorable and only worsened after the war.)

Well first I never meant at this point in history, I was talking about origins. Which is why I used HWC instead of just White colleges. I don't want to get into a civil war or the an argument on the current state of racism in America, because that's getting pretty far from the focus of the site.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:32 AM   #60
Banned

I don't think the name is racist at all.

And Noble, I get where you are coming from and I appreciate the PM. Certainly a much better viewpoint than the tack that rockchisler took.

By no means to I mean to wipe away 2 centuries worth of slavery, racism, and segregation. That's not my intention with my posts.

In any case, I'm sorry I've pushed this topic in such a controversial direction.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:37 AM   #61
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by raz77
Well first I never meant at this point in history, I was talking about origins. Which is why I used HWC instead of just White colleges. I don't want to get into a civil war or the an argument on the current state of racism in America, because that's getting pretty far from the focus of the site.
Name me one school that is designated as Historically White. Would you accept the title if Ole Miss called itself a historically white school?

Of course not. You'd have all kinds of protests if Ole Miss did that. And for what it is worth, I'd call it just as wrong and unnecessary as I am doing here.

As for the guy calling NCAA "White College Football", that's sad, inaccurate, and wrong. Especially for a game with black men on the cover. And frankly, these schools bend over backwards to attract minority students. You only need to read about the Michigan case if you need proof.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-11-2009, 10:47 AM   #62
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Name me one school that is designated as Historically White. Would you accept the title if Ole Miss called itself a historically white school?

Of course not. You'd have all kinds of protests if Ole Miss did that. And for what it is worth, I'd call it just as wrong and unnecessary as I am doing here.

As for the guy calling NCAA "White College Football", that's sad, inaccurate, and wrong. Especially for a game with black men on the cover. And frankly, these schools bend over backwards to attract minority students. You only need to read about the Michigan case if you need proof.
Why would they have needed to designate themselves historically white back then when they were the majority of colleges?
Old 07-11-2009, 11:12 AM   #63
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by raz77
Why would they have needed to designate themselves historically white back then when they were the majority of colleges?
No idea what you are saying there. So basically, you can't answer my question. Fair enough.

So, if Ole Miss designates itself as 'Historically White', you are cool with that? I wouldn't be.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:08 PM   #64
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
No idea what you are saying there. So basically, you can't answer my question. Fair enough.

So, if Ole Miss designates itself as 'Historically White', you are cool with that? I wouldn't be.
The problem is you don't want to understand what he is saying. Its just typical of some Americans who try to create controversy. Ill take your example of Ole Miss. Governor Ross Barnett stood in the ****ing doorway of your beloved Ole Miss, and denied black Mississippians admission to the college. THIS WAS 1962!!! For well over a couple of centuries most, if not all, colleges were still ALL WHITE. You have a handful of HBU that sprung up after the civil war to, brace yourself, educate black people. If the colleges were not there, the disparities would be extremely bleak today. The fact is that most colleges in history didnt have to say historically white because they were by de facto. Lastly, do yourself a favor and get a magazine from the late 60's early 70's where there is boarding school, or military school ads. Most had to put "open enrollment" because up to that point, they didnt accept blacks. HBCU served a purpose, and still do and this game just celebrates that.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »