Home

BCFX review on OXM website

This is a discussion on BCFX review on OXM website within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-01-2009, 03:09 AM   #25
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38
Re: BCFX review on OXM website

So after the first night, if I had to summarize this game, I'd say it fuses the Xs and Os of early 2K football (2K1 -2K3) with the turn-on-a-dime, arcade gameplay of Tecmo Super Bowl.

I have no doubt that it would be a blast against a human player, but man, the CPU is just a horrible opponent.

If you've got some local opponents to play against, give this one a shot for sure. If not, you'll probably want to pass.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2009, 08:14 AM   #26
Rookie

Dollar Theater's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheetah50
^^^^^ Everyone may have their own experience with this game, but I've not had the issues that you've mentioned. Like you, I'm still exploring. The one thing that puzzled me about your report is you indicated that the music and crowd was so loud to the point of not hearing the commentary. You failed to mention that both of those aspects of the game have sliders to control each. The music and crowd noise can be adjusted.

As far as supporting a "small dev company", it goes much deeper than that when you have a generation of family members that have attended and graduated from HBCU's. This response is not a flame. The game has MANY options to be tweaked to your pleasure.........IMO.
I don't take it as a flame, no worries.

Everyone has their differing opinions on it. Maybe you haven't run into any of the issues yet. If so, that's great. I really do hope this game does well so they can polish some things and bring it back next year.

I think the overlying point I was trying to make was what wEEman said in his last post... "If you've got some local opponents to play against, give this one a shot for sure. If not, you'll probably want to pass."

The CPU just isn't a very good opponent and do strange things a lot which takes themselves out of plays. I do love the halftime stuff though. Fun as hell.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:39 PM   #27
Banned

2krules's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wEEman33
Ok, if you were getting this to play against the CPU, don't even bother.

In only my second game of playing the CPU on the highest difficulty I've realized that I can literally score a touchdown every time I have the ball in my hands.

Just run laterally to the sidelines, turn upfield, and you've got an easy six since the pursuit is so poor.

I'm sure this wouldn't be an issue in head-to-head games, but it's obvious that the CPU just isn't up to task.

On defense, you can also just call engage eight every time and the CPU doesn't know how to handle it without taking a sack or a loss on a run play.
I play 99 % of my football games against the CPU, so that worries me. But I can get this game for around 15 dollars. If I just avoid picking certain plays, do you think the gameplay and halftime show would be enjoyable enough for $15?
Old 10-01-2009, 03:21 PM   #28
Hall Of Fame

It's not just certain plays that make playing the CPU a total cakewalk, it's the fact that you can literally run around their entire team for a TD anytime you get the ball in your hands with a decent RB/WR.

I tried just letting Doug Williams call all my plays for me last game and I still put up 100 points while only giving up 7.

It has to do with the fact that there's ZERO momentum in the running physics. You are at top speed from the split second you start running and never lose momentum regardless of how you move your player.

It's basically an unintentional throwback to the last two generations of football games, in that regard.

Remember how in Madden on the Genesis or Tecmo Bowl on the NES you could basically toss left and toss right all day against the CPU on your way to 600 yards and 10 TDs a game? The same applies here.

Last edited by jyoung; 10-01-2009 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:49 PM   #29
Banned

2krules's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wEEman33
It's not just certain plays that make playing the CPU a total cakewalk, it's the fact that you can literally run around their entire team for a TD anytime you get the ball in your hands with a decent RB/WR.

I tried just letting Doug Williams call all my plays for me last game and I still put up 100 points while only giving up 7.

It has to do with the fact that there's ZERO momentum in the running physics. You are at top speed from the split second you start running and never lose momentum regardless of how you move your player.

It's basically an unintentional throwback to the last two generations of football games, in that regard.

Remember how in Madden on the Genesis or Tecmo Bowl on the NES you could basically toss left and toss right all day against the CPU on your way to 600 yards and 10 TDs a game? The same applies here.
That's a real shame, isn't it? I was really looking forward to this game. Thanks for all the info.

For $15 I may get the game just for the halftime and mini games.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:01 PM   #30
Hall Of Fame

One more unintentional "Tecmo Bowl" comparison to make on the defensive side of the ball:

playing the nose tackle in a 3-man defensive front, it's incredibly easy to swim past the center and get in the backfield within a split second of the snap.

I stopped playing the line once I figured out how easy it was to get in the backfield.

At least it's still a lot of fun playing LBs and DBs.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:18 PM   #31
Rookie

Dollar Theater's Arena

OVR: 5

You can throw bombs all day too. The CPU DBs never adjust to the ball in the air. Ever. Never ever.

I had one glitch earlier where the ball bounced off my receiver's knee on a slant and ricocheted all the way into the stands.

Still enjoying the halftime stuff though. And the jukebox.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2009, 05:05 PM   #32
Hall Of Fame

Yep, they play decent coverage, but the DBs ball skills are really questionable.

It doesn't help, either, that WRs have a special tractor beam which allows them to change the path of the ball in mid-air to suck in off-target passes.

At first I thought it was just a manual catch issue, but now I am even seeing my CPU controlled WRs do it, too.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »