Home

Question about the Wildcat

This is a discussion on Question about the Wildcat within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-26-2009, 02:20 PM   #1
Retar Crew

Antec's Arena

OVR: 12
Question about the Wildcat

This may be a silly question, but why does the QB stay on the field? Surely a WR lined up far right/left would be a better choice to be a blocker for outside runs and protects the QB from risk of injury while blocking.

The only thing I can think of is because the QB has the mic in his helmet but can't the RB or WR taking the snap use a mic'd helmet for wildcat plays with the QB off the field.

Oops, I thought I was posting this in the Pro Football forum, my mistake.

Last edited by Antec; 08-26-2009 at 02:25 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2009, 02:40 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 23
Re: Question about the Wildcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antec
This may be a silly question, but why does the QB stay on the field? Surely a WR lined up far right/left would be a better choice to be a blocker for outside runs and protects the QB from risk of injury while blocking.

The only thing I can think of is because the QB has the mic in his helmet but can't the RB or WR taking the snap use a mic'd helmet for wildcat plays with the QB off the field.

Oops, I thought I was posting this in the Pro Football forum, my mistake.
It's because if the QB stays on the field it's not so obvious it's a wildcat play.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:30 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryolemon
It's because if the QB stays on the field it's not so obvious it's a wildcat play.
If they sent in a no QB package you could counter it with a weighted D package with a dedicated spy on the wildcat ball handler. Essentially what the Ravens did in the playoffs with the personel on the field.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:22 PM   #4
MVP

bgeno's Arena

OVR: 18

I can't seem to confirm it anywhere, but I'm also almost sure that you must have a quarterback (or punter/kicker) in the huddle at all times while on offense.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:37 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 42

If I recall, You just have to have someone with the assigned numbers for the QB position but that doesn't mean (let's say) #7 has to be a QB
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2009, 04:54 PM   #6
MVP

bgeno's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaduck
If I recall, You just have to have someone with the assigned numbers for the QB position but that doesn't mean (let's say) #7 has to be a QB
Obviously the quarterback in the huddle doesn't have to play QB.

But I'm almost certain that someone who is listed on the roster as a quarterback must be in on the field for each offensive play. So the #1 QB or #2 QB must be on the field... or #3 QB, but you get into all that emergency QB stuff with that.

I'm not sure about the numbers thing... it doens't quite make sense to me considering WR's now regularly wear numbers 10 through 19, which are all QB numbers.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:24 PM   #7
ULTRAAAA!!!!

Cyros's Arena

OVR: 30

QB has to be on the field.

My Video Game Streams
Old 08-29-2009, 03:37 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgeno
But I'm almost certain that someone who is listed on the roster as a quarterback must be in on the field for each offensive play.
You only get into the emergency QB issue if the 3rd QB isn't on the 45 man game day roster (They usually aren't, unless the team only has 2 actual QBs for whatever reason).

As for the QB has to be on the field thing, I don't think that's a rule. The Panthers used the wildcat (or a version of it at least) in that 2007 game v the Falcons where Weinke only threw seven passes. There were a fair few plays where he wasn't on the field.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »