Home

Rumor: 'Tecmo Bowl Throwback' Coming to XBLA, PSN (Joystiq)

This is a discussion on Rumor: 'Tecmo Bowl Throwback' Coming to XBLA, PSN (Joystiq) within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 02:56 PM   #17
Pro

Badboy49er's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: Rumor: 'Tecmo Bowl Throwback' Coming to XBLA, PSN (Joystiq)

I reaaaaallly hope its Tecmo Super bowl, man if we could have original AND current rosters plus online that would be awesome
MLB: Red Sox, Marlins
NHL: Panthers
http://twitter.com/Badboy49er
Old 01-14-2010, 03:26 PM   #18
Banned

OVR: 13
They had their chance with Tecmo Bowl: Kickoff. They got lazy & didn't put in the effort for a quality title...or even a working one.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:26 PM   #19
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22
A few years ago, I probably would have been fired up about this, as I was a huge TSB fan. But after the recent attempts that others have described, I can't say I am all that excited.

My dream remake would be a version with updated rosters (or editing ability). And just a few gameplay refinements like not allowing DLinemen to dive and tackle the QB every play, and maybe tweak some of those plays that never succeed. I would also prefer a skill level setting instead of the CPU determining the challenge by the players W/L record.

The NES version my favorite. Followups on the Genesis/SNES added a layer of complexity, but while it got more realistic, it also doubled the time to play a game which really hurt the "Fun" factor for me.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:14 PM   #20
MVP

OVR: 55

TSB for NES was the best. I played them all... 1, 2, and 3 on Genesis. Also had TSB on the PS1. I also had tecmo bowl. Only one I didn't play was the original arcade one where you wiggle the stick to break tackles.

If we had the NES TSB with old rosters... we would need to start an OS league ASAP.

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A
Old 01-14-2010, 08:39 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeth
I hope it's TONS better than their DS remake. That game was straight garbage! Teams were "customizable", but if you didn't change anything, every player had the same player #s and every game had 1 of 2 or 3 stat combinations. Just garbage.

Plus, the game wasn't even close to challenging...at the hardest level.

I hope Tecmo learned from this and does a TRUE remake this time.
Agreed. The DS version was an abomination to Tecmo Bowl. I even e-mailed Tecmo about it. Not hard, not challenging and not fun.

Depending on how good this version is I might consider buying a 360. There has to be online play obviously.

It would be awesome if Tecmo made an actual update of the game, ie, a sequel, instead of just a remake with HD graphics. Complete with "team customization" (ie, the NFL without the license).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-15-2010, 01:20 AM   #22
Banned

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HesTheCoach
Agreed. The DS version was an abomination to Tecmo Bowl. I even e-mailed Tecmo about it. Not hard, not challenging and not fun.

Depending on how good this version is I might consider buying a 360. There has to be online play obviously.

It would be awesome if Tecmo made an actual update of the game, ie, a sequel, instead of just a remake with HD graphics. Complete with "team customization" (ie, the NFL without the license).
Abomination it was. I actually called Tecmo (310-944-5005) about Tecmo Bowl Kickoff and how it should have never been released in the state it was and how it left a bad taste in a lot of Tecmo Bowl fans. How could they make a game as epic as Tecmo Bowl more boring than watching grass grow. I told them there is a reason people still play Tecmo Bowl today and it was because the gameplay still holds up. I advised them to simply make the exact same game except with updated graphics and more animations. Maybe a closer camera to show more detail in the players. Put it online with leagues and watch as this cult classic in football gaming flourishes unlike any Tecmo Bowl game before it! A very simple formula that I hope and pray they follow. I told them this is the last chance to keep there faithful TSB fans behind them. Screw this up and game over!

Last edited by rm217; 01-20-2010 at 02:03 AM.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:05 AM   #23
MVP

OVR: 27

In my opinion, the last great Tecmo Football game was TSB 3: Final Edition for Super Nintendo. The last two have completely sucked. The PS1 version was one of the worst football games ever made. The DS version just makes me sad.

It's just a case of a product and company that had a long dynasty run at one time, then forgot what made their game great in the first place. I think it eventually happens to all franchises. But it's been like 16 years since TSB 3 Final. I hope they finally get it right.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:11 PM   #24
MVP

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
In my opinion, the last great Tecmo Football game was TSB 3: Final Edition for Super Nintendo. The last two have completely sucked. The PS1 version was one of the worst football games ever made. The DS version just makes me sad.

It's just a case of a product and company that had a long dynasty run at one time, then forgot what made their game great in the first place. I think it eventually happens to all franchises. But it's been like 16 years since TSB 3 Final. I hope they finally get it right.
I played the crap out of that game. Remember leveling your guys? That was really a great concept for it's time.

The gameplay was very nice too.. remember your athletic RB's (Sanders) spinning and juking defenders.

Good times... I miss those games. If I could play a game like that online... so fast paced and fun... I'd make that my main gaming priority without question.

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »