Home

Rumor: 'Tecmo Bowl Throwback' Coming to XBLA, PSN (Joystiq)

This is a discussion on Rumor: 'Tecmo Bowl Throwback' Coming to XBLA, PSN (Joystiq) within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 12:47 PM   #33
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35
Re: Rumor: 'Tecmo Bowl Throwback' Coming to XBLA, PSN (Joystiq)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
In my opinion, the last great Tecmo Football game was TSB 3: Final Edition for Super Nintendo. The last two have completely sucked. The PS1 version was one of the worst football games ever made. The DS version just makes me sad.

It's just a case of a product and company that had a long dynasty run at one time, then forgot what made their game great in the first place. I think it eventually happens to all franchises. But it's been like 16 years since TSB 3 Final. I hope they finally get it right.
Was TSB3 the one where u could create players?

I remember a version where I created either Kordell Stewart or Terry Glenn
Old 01-20-2010, 03:59 PM   #34
MVP

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgx2thez
Was TSB3 the one where u could create players?

I remember a version where I created either Kordell Stewart or Terry Glenn
Yeah. You could trade and create, and also develop players. It was a sort of franchise mode kind of deal.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:15 PM   #35
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

Tecmo Super Bowl III: Final Edition on the SNES was definitely the pinnacle of the series.

The only negative thing to say about it is that some idiot at Tecmo decided to take out the awesome background music that loops during plays!

But otherwise, just think about how advanced the Final Edition was for 1995:

You had two sets of customizable playbooks, a great create-a-player mode, and a multi-season "franchise" mode that let you trade players and sign free agents within the context of a points-based salary cap.

All that, of course, with an excellent simulation and stat-tracking engine that kept up with end-of-season awards, pro bowl births, all-time, single-game and single-season records.

Final Edition is a game that was truly way ahead of its time.

This XBLA version certainly has a lot to live up to, and based on the last couple of games they've put out, I'm not sure the modern-day version of Tecmo is up to the task.

Last edited by jyoung; 01-20-2010 at 04:18 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-20-2010, 04:27 PM   #36
Hard Times.

Bellsprout's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by wEEman33
Tecmo Super Bowl III: Final Edition on the SNES was definitely the pinnacle of the series.

The only negative thing to say about it is that some idiot at Tecmo decided to take out the awesome background music that loops during plays!

You had two sets of customizable playbooks, a great create-a-player mode, and a multi-season "franchise" mode that let you trade players and sign free agents within the context of a points-based salary cap.

All that, of course, with an excellent simulation and stat-tracking engine that kept up with end-of-season awards, pro bowl births, all-time, single-game and single-season records.

This XBLA version certainly has a lot to live up to, and based on the last couple of games they've put out, I'm not sure the modern-day version of Tecmo is up to the task.
Agreed with all of that. TSB3 was probably the game i've played the most in my lifetime. Between trading, free agents, and developing created players I burned most of my childhood with that game.

I remember developing Ronnie McAda (Who? Google it.) into the best QB in the game.
A lot of you guys seem pretty cool, but you have wieners.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:30 PM   #37
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:

Actually Tecmo Super Bowl II - Special Edition was the best SNES version, IMO. It nearly identical to III, but was more of a challenge play offense against the computer. When it came out it was nearly impossible to find, though.

Although I really liked the first SNES TSB as well. And I loved the speed of the NES version (this is still the most popular version). You really can't go wrong with any of the Tecmo Bowl games on an Nintendo system (except the DS).

The XBLA version will be fine if they just directly port over the SNES version and add HD graphics and online play. That way Tecmo can't screw it up. I'd prefer that they added some stuff to the game but I doubt that'll happen, or if it does it'll probably be for the worst.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:37 AM   #38
MVP

OVR: 27

Quote:

All of that is why I remain baffled as to how they screwed up the PS1 version so badly.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:55 AM   #39
MVP

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
All of that is why I remain baffled as to how they screwed up the PS1 version so badly.
I don't know if you actually played that game much, but it was brutal. I tried so hard to like it because of past versions, but really it wasn't even close.

They probably just decided they needed to "keep up with the Joneses" and try to go after 3-D graphics as a selling point. They had a 2D sidescroller that beat all other games because of the FUN gameplay... too bad they failed to keep that perspective.

I'm really looking forward to this... more than Backbreaker.

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A
Old 01-21-2010, 01:10 PM   #40
War Eagle, Go Braves!

aukevin's Arena

OVR: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeth
I hope it's TONS better than their DS remake. That game was straight garbage! Teams were "customizable", but if you didn't change anything, every player had the same player #s and every game had 1 of 2 or 3 stat combinations. Just garbage.

Plus, the game wasn't even close to challenging...at the hardest level.

I hope Tecmo learned from this and does a TRUE remake this time.
For real. That game was not good at all.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »