Home

Rumor: 'Tecmo Bowl Throwback' Coming to XBLA, PSN (Joystiq)

This is a discussion on Rumor: 'Tecmo Bowl Throwback' Coming to XBLA, PSN (Joystiq) within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 02:05 PM   #41
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38
Re: Rumor: 'Tecmo Bowl Throwback' Coming to XBLA, PSN (Joystiq)

I think the reason TBS III has a rep for being too easy is because most people would make a team full of CAPs who would become unstoppable after 2 or 3 seasons of earning XP.

If you just take over one of the normal NFL teams and have a season with them, the game has just as much challenge as the other TSB games, especially once you get to the playoffs and the CPU difficulty ramps up.

Coming out of the NFC and taking down teams like the 49ers and Cowboys is incredibly difficult!

The only bad thing I have to say about TSB III is the lack of background music during plays.

Otherwise, it's pretty much the perfect rendition of the TSB formula.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-21-2010, 05:24 PM   #42
MVP

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by wEEman33
I think the reason TBS III has a rep for being too easy is because most people would make a team full of CAPs who would become unstoppable after 2 or 3 seasons of earning XP.

If you just take over one of the normal NFL teams and have a season with them, the game has just as much challenge as the other TSB games, especially once you get to the playoffs and the CPU difficulty ramps up.

Coming out of the NFC and taking down teams like the 49ers and Cowboys is incredibly difficult!

The only bad thing I have to say about TSB III is the lack of background music during plays.

Otherwise, it's pretty much the perfect rendition of the TSB formula.
Yeah the strategy got deep in that game.... more defensive options and offensive styles. I miss it

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A
Old 01-21-2010, 08:16 PM   #43
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badboy49er
I reaaaaallly hope its Tecmo Super bowl, man if we could have original AND current rosters plus online that would be awesome
We already have that. PM me if you're interested. I play Tecmo Super Bowl for NES with updated rosters and play TSB III for SNES w/updated rosters almost every day.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:43 AM   #44
MVP

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
I don't know if you actually played that game much, but it was brutal. I tried so hard to like it because of past versions, but really it wasn't even close.

They probably just decided they needed to "keep up with the Joneses" and try to go after 3-D graphics as a selling point. They had a 2D sidescroller that beat all other games because of the FUN gameplay... too bad they failed to keep that perspective.

I'm really looking forward to this... more than Backbreaker.
I agree. They abandoned what they'd done in the past, and the sad part is that what they'd done before was right. This may be a bold statement, but in terms of cam view, Tecmo Bowl is still ahead of all other games even in this era. Think about what they're trying to do with the Broadcast Cam in Madden, and then consider how perfectly it already works in Tecmo Bowl because of its simplistic WR-marker system? You never feel like you lose sight of anything. They were geniuses. When they drew the field with a simulated 3D depth starting with TSB 2, they had something special.

About the TSB PS1 disaster... I remember renting this game from Blockbuster (haha, remember when Blockbuster was THEE place to get new games?)... I popped it in, and was horrified. I never actually finished a full game. I made 3 attempts and kept stopping. I returned it THAT DAY and never spoke of it again.

Last edited by TheWatcher; 01-22-2010 at 07:46 AM.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:53 AM   #45
MVP

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
I agree. They abandoned what they'd done in the past, and the sad part is that what they'd done before was right. This may be a bold statement, but in terms of cam view, Tecmo Bowl is still ahead of all other games even in this era. Think about what they're trying to do with the Broadcast Cam in Madden, and then consider how perfectly it already works in Tecmo Bowl because of its simplistic WR-marker system? You never feel like you lose sight of anything. They were geniuses. When they drew the field with a simulated 3D depth starting with TSB 2, they had something special.

About the TSB PS1 disaster... I remember renting this game from Blockbuster (haha, remember when Blockbuster was THEE place to get new games?)... I popped it in, and was horrified. I never actually finished a full game. I made 3 attempts and kept stopping. I returned it THAT DAY and never spoke of it again.
I bought my copy at "Funcoland" (remember that place?!). It was super cheap... I figured out why pretty quick.

It'd be SO easy for Tecmo just to plop out one of those older TSB games (ANY of them) with added online play and have a massive success. Hopefully they catch that drift.

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-26-2010, 07:48 AM   #46
MVP

OVR: 27

Quote:
I bought my copy at "Funcoland" (remember that place?!). It was super cheap... I figured out why pretty quick.
You know, I'd never been to Funcoland before. But for some reason even though I never signed up for it (or any magazine), I used to get their magazine (the original Game Informer) through the mail up until 1999, lol. That's where I saw the first editorial on NFL 2K with screenshots and went crazy.

Quote:
It'd be SO easy for Tecmo just to plop out one of those older TSB games (ANY of them) with added online play and have a massive success. Hopefully they catch that drift.
Just as long as they don't do this again, we should be good:

Old 01-26-2010, 01:20 PM   #47
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

Yep, I remember renting that game at Blockbuster and taking it home expecting something like the old TSB games.

Instead, it sucked so much I ended up taking it back the next day.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:38 PM   #48
Rookie

OVR: 3

I've never seen the PSX TSB in motion before (I honestly didn't even think it looked like that, I thought it had a different viewpoint). Very surprised at how good it looks in motion. Graphics are good too. Field is wider than TSB III, which is good.

About 95% of the things I've heard about that game have been downright horrible so I have to assume the gameplay is bad. Real bad.

It actually reminds me a lot of TSB III from looking at that video, which I definitely didn't expect.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »