Home

Would making ESPN $20 keep you from buying Madden?

This is a discussion on Would making ESPN $20 keep you from buying Madden? within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-03-2003, 01:08 AM   #33
Hall Of Fame

Brandwin's Arena

OVR: 50
Re: Would making ESPN $20 keep you from buying Madden?

Yeah I dont see whats so dumb about it either..If ESPN was free I would still buy Madden also.
Old 07-03-2003, 07:24 AM   #34
MVP

OVR: 10
Re: Would making ESPN $20 keep you from buying Mad

Quote:

wwharton said:
Lets see. They're planning on profitting from selling it at $50 a pop and you're suggesting they sell it at $20, $30 less. Meaning they'd have to sell what 2 and a 1/4 to match the amount they plan on receiving for just one. So they'd have to sell over twice as many as what you think they will for it to even be worth the extra second it took to think it up and that's for a penny of a profit over the current plan. I won't even comment on the other reasons this makes absolutely no sense because the economics behind it is MORE than enough.

Look Sega makes a profit unless they give them away for free. I used to work for a company that made CDs and DVDs and the total price per unit was $1.25 to $1.40. Even at $20 they would make a profit. Now Having the price at $20 or $25 is only for people buying Madden2004. Buying ESPN only would cost $39.99 to $49.99.

Last year Sega was looking to sell at least what their base for the Dreamcast was which was around 2 - 2 1/2 million units. We all heard that they only sold roughly 500,000 units. Which means a mil and half or 2 million ended up sitting on the shelves not making a dime. Selling it new for $39.99 and $20 for the people who picked up Madden2004 would get rid of every copy as oppose to what happend to 2K3. If Sega had a deal like this out of the 4 1/2 million Madden sold all Sega only needs a million or million and a half of these people to take the $20 deal. All of the copies get sold and not sitting on shelves takin up space. In the process they convert Madden fans to ESPN. Hell I would even go as far as finding someone who liked Madden and pick up both games and split the price. Either way Sega would sell every copy and convert some people over to ESPN.

Oh yeah I almost forgot when people saw 2K3 for $29 to $19.99 they bought it just to check it out. So your whole "Something must be wrong with it" thought is blown out the water. Those copies would've never sold if they had stayed full price. The other funny part is even a few people here kept selling their copies only to buy them back later on. You also need to get it out of your head that Sega wants to sell their game to people other than the 4 1/2 million Madden fans. That's the people they want to buy their game not just some joe shmoe off the street that never played 2K before. Sega wants more people buying ESPN and less people buying Madden. Just like EA wants more buying Madden than ESPN. Sega knows it won't win over every Madden fan over night but my idea would accelerate the process.

I don't know why everybody is crying I still don't think Sega will let Madden have a whole month to itself let alone 2 days. I think it will release early or the same day.
Old 07-03-2003, 09:17 AM   #35
Let's Go Pens!

LetsGoBucs's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:

wwharton said:
Lets see. They're planning on profitting from selling it at $50 a pop and you're suggesting they sell it at $20, $30 less. Meaning they'd have to sell what 2 and a 1/4 to match the amount they plan on receiving for just one. So they'd have to sell over twice as many as what you think they will for it to even be worth the extra second it took to think it up and that's for a penny of a profit over the current plan. I won't even comment on the other reasons this makes absolutely no sense because the economics behind it is MORE than enough.

Does 'wwharton' stand for the Wharton Business School at UPenn? I was going to post the exact same thing you said!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-03-2003, 04:25 PM   #36
Banned

Jon22's Arena

OVR: 20

I don't post much. But some of you come up with some wacky threads.
Old 07-03-2003, 05:36 PM   #37
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:

Oh yeah I almost forgot when people saw 2K3 for $29 to $19.99 they bought it just to check it out. So your whole "Something must be wrong with it" thought is blown out the water. Those copies would've never sold if they had stayed full price.

The flaw in that logic though is that people know sports games get marked down in price after they've been out for awhile. 2K3 was only dropped down to low levels of $19 and $10 after it'd been out a while and ppl gave it a try. Being $20 upon launch is a whole different story as to how consumers would react to it. And they would react to that pricepoint upon launch with utter suspicion the game must be sub-par and most would avoid it I believe.
Old 07-03-2003, 09:20 PM   #38
Bacon

CM1847's Arena

OVR: 19

For a casual fan or for parents buying a game for their kids, a $20 price tag on ESPN would probably get their purchase. but then they would have to sell more than twice as many as last year to make the same money.......
Old 07-03-2003, 09:55 PM   #39
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:

CM1847 said:
For a casual fan or for parents buying a game for their kids, a $20 price tag on ESPN would probably get their purchase. but then they would have to sell more than twice as many as last year to make the same money.......

And I'm saying that's probably the only group, they're not really knowledgeable about what games is legit. A game is a game is a game to them.
Old 07-03-2003, 11:28 PM   #40
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:

sportsgeist said:
Quote:

wwharton said:

Look Sega makes a profit unless they give them away for free. I used to work for a company that made CDs and DVDs and the total price per unit was $1.25 to $1.40. Even at $20 they would make a profit. Now Having the price at $20 or $25 is only for people buying Madden2004. Buying ESPN only would cost $39.99 to $49.99.

Last year Sega was looking to sell at least what their base for the Dreamcast was which was around 2 - 2 1/2 million units. We all heard that they only sold roughly 500,000 units. Which means a mil and half or 2 million ended up sitting on the shelves not making a dime. Selling it new for $39.99 and $20 for the people who picked up Madden2004 would get rid of every copy as oppose to what happend to 2K3. If Sega had a deal like this out of the 4 1/2 million Madden sold all Sega only needs a million or million and a half of these people to take the $20 deal. All of the copies get sold and not sitting on shelves takin up space. In the process they convert Madden fans to ESPN. Hell I would even go as far as finding someone who liked Madden and pick up both games and split the price. Either way Sega would sell every copy and convert some people over to ESPN.

Oh yeah I almost forgot when people saw 2K3 for $29 to $19.99 they bought it just to check it out. So your whole "Something must be wrong with it" thought is blown out the water. Those copies would've never sold if they had stayed full price. The other funny part is even a few people here kept selling their copies only to buy them back later on. You also need to get it out of your head that Sega wants to sell their game to people other than the 4 1/2 million Madden fans. That's the people they want to buy their game not just some joe shmoe off the street that never played 2K before. Sega wants more people buying ESPN and less people buying Madden. Just like EA wants more buying Madden than ESPN. Sega knows it won't win over every Madden fan over night but my idea would accelerate the process.

I don't know why everybody is crying I still don't think Sega will let Madden have a whole month to itself let alone 2 days. I think it will release early or the same day.

Your last point is dead on. Anyone who thinks that ESPN won't be coming out until September must be on the pipe. The game will come out at most a day or two later then Madden, probably earlier.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »