Home

My Investigation into Multiplayer Lag

This is a discussion on My Investigation into Multiplayer Lag within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
FIFA 21 Review
Tennis World Tour 2 Review
Doug Flutie's Maximum Football 2020 Review
Poll: Which next-gen console are you going to purchase? (Click to vote)

Old 04-30-2010, 02:32 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 15
My Investigation into Multiplayer Lag (Tecmo)

Hi guys, Ive been looking in to lag issues with the multiplayer. I saw that someone suggested to put the game in 2D mode. I tried that. Ive tried every combination of, host/join 2D/3D. I play on a good cable connection, via a wireless router.

I played a game in 2D that I hosted and it worked beautifully. Next Game I played, I joined and played in 2D and I lagged. Then I hosted a game in 3d and it worked great. This is opposed to all the games in 3D where I joined and always lagged.

Simply put: If you host the game, you don't lag. If you join a game, you lag.

So based on my initial investigation, I would say that the only thing that matters is who hosts. This kinda sucks =( I wonder if this would be different on PS3, I have a PS3 too and would have gladly waited to buy on PS3 if there was no online lag.

Anyone have some contradictory results? Would you like to play some custom games to test? If you have no lag problems when joining a game, please list what kind of connection you are using.

Does anyone know if there is an email address or forum that I can get in touch with the developers about this issue? Maybe they could patch it.

Last edited by Bears_16_and_0; 04-30-2010 at 06:23 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2010, 03:50 PM   #2
Banned

Re: My Investigation into Multiplayer Lag

just an update, i played a 3d game where I hosted with no lag. I asked the guy that I was playing after the game if he had lag, he said yes.

So im guessing It is a host/non host issue. Anyone have any comments?
Old 04-30-2010, 05:54 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 55

This sounds right to me.

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A
Old 05-01-2010, 05:30 PM   #4
Banned

i just broke into the top 50 multiplayer leaderboard. I just host a game and play as Dallas and no one can usually establish any offense on me at all due to lag =/ I had 12 scoreless quarters earlier today that was broken by someone scoring 6 in the first quarter of a game which I scored 17 unanswered to win 17-6. Then I played a dude that quit, and then the game I just played was 28-0.

So I basically got scored on in only 1 quarter out of the last 20.... Im not even good at tecmo bowl... Its fun to play online but I feel bad for the people im playing because I know theyre lagging. But I have 0 fun not being able to zigzag at all if I dont host a game. If anyone ever says anything about lag after the game I just tell them that the host doesnt lag...
Old 05-01-2010, 09:41 PM   #5
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

Not everyone who joins lags. I have played a couple of guys that rocked on the zig zagging and were easily moving as fast as me, even performing cut backs and circle arounds. But I do agree, many are lagging and that is the exception rather than the norm. They need to do a better job match making, or better optimize their game/network code.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-01-2010, 10:07 PM   #6
Banned

wanna run some tests? I mean its not peoples connections that are the problem, it is the coding. I was able to go on 50 person raids on a 56k modem playing Everquest 10 years ago, without much of a problem at all.

Im sorry but I have a hard time believing that transmitting one of 8 directions, or 2 freaking button presses over the internet needs an awesome connection. Unless maybe you are connecting to someone like 2 miles from you, I cant think of any reason why it would be different for some people. Maybe like a T1 connection can brute force its way into having only a little lag, but cmon, its 2010 and this should be trivial. This could be such an awesome game if it had good netcode... Xbox Live requires broadband. Again there are 8 directions you can go and 2 buttons you can press, and you are only playing against 1 other person.

Does PS3 still have like central servers for all their games, or do they have host/client multilayer as well?
Old 05-01-2010, 11:18 PM   #7
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

Most games on consoles are going to be their own host/client. Few gaming companies want to host their own servers due to the cost/maintenance involved. PS3 is no different in that respect.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:06 PM   #8
Banned

see I thought I remember that there was some sort of selling point with PS3 online having dedicated servers. I know like some launch titles touted it, like Warhawk I believe it was? So they just treat it like XBL now for the most part?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »