Home

Will there ever be a perfect football game?

This is a discussion on Will there ever be a perfect football game? within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Will there ever be a perfect football game?
Yes 6 12.77%
No 38 80.85%
Other (leave comments) 3 6.38%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-18-2010, 07:39 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Will there ever be a perfect football game?

yes BB 2300 FTW

LETS GO RAVENS!

Old 06-18-2010, 09:01 PM   #10
Rookie

Card-me's Arena

OVR: 7

I don't know if you guys read the post or not, but I laid out 4 criteria that I think if a game met, most people would consider it "perfect" or "excellent." Would that change your opinions (since it seems that most of you are voting No)?
Old 06-18-2010, 09:09 PM   #11
PGH for GTA VI

spacefunk's Arena

OVR: 13

Perfect is in the eye of the beholder. I, for one, am a huge fan of the history of the game. So for me a perfect game would have all the teams, uniforms, stadiums, rosters, even field art going back to the 60's. Now if gameplay were atrocious that would take away from the experience. But I could live with halfway decent gameplay if all my other wishes were met.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-18-2010, 11:51 PM   #12
Banned

OVR: 32

No, because EA makes all of the football games.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:44 AM   #13
Rookie

ESPOMAN's Arena

OVR: 17

No such thing.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:57 AM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 3

I played Football in High School, College and now at the Semi-Pro level. We will NEVER have a perfect football game for a couple of reasons. The first being obvious, in that nothing is "Perfect." The second and most glaring one being that Football is such a complex game. We (folks from the States and Canada as well) watch it every week in the Fall and Winter and have been exposed to it from a fairly young age. Most of the folks that play football video games have been watching the game for quite some time and have a good understanding of the rules. A challenge for some of you; try to explain the rules of American Football to a foreigner; someone from Europe, (but not Germany, as the game is more popular there) or Asia who has never seen the game before, without the help of a game being on TV or film. Football is a hard game compared to others. That complexity makes it alluring to me, and since most of us have been watching it since we were young, it doesn't seem as hard as it really is. But this makes it hard for developers in games to get everything that could possibly happen on the field perfect. And maybe the devs don't want to. Often when perusing the Impressions threads shortly after a football game; any football game, comes out; I'll see folks complaining about things that seem trivial, even to me; a person who actually plays the game. I'll see someone say something like "the guard's kick out block animation on the 34 Counter is incorrect, game killer" I can tell you from being that Guard in College and Semi-Pro, that block will not always be made, the block won't always be perfect. The contact will be different each time, if any, but if you make contact, half the battle is won there. Now I'm not talking about a hiccup or stutter in the animation; I'm actually talking about folks seeing the guard take a step with the right foot instead of the left and considering it game-killing. One thing has to be remembered above all; this is a video game. If you want a perfect emulation of football; Join a Mens or Women's league (yes real womens football does exist beyond the LFL crap), strap on a helmet and pads and go for it. Otherwise, understand there will never be a perfect simulation of the sport. It gets darn close though.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:58 AM   #15
MVP

stlstudios189's Arena

OVR: 41

someday a game will meet all your critria and 94% of people will be pleased and 6% will complain about the Eagles facemask, or the grass should be a different shade of green.

I have won like 20 Super Bowls in Madden so I am kinda a big deal.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-20-2010, 01:05 AM   #16
Banned

Xaos's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlstudios189
someday a game will meet all your critria and 94% of people will be pleased and 6% will complain about the Eagles facemask, or the grass should be a different shade of green.
This

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »