Home

Announcing

This is a discussion on Announcing within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-19-2010, 03:32 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 1
Announcing

The announcing still does not sound right. I don't understand why EA just can't get it. How can a game that came out 5 years ago get it. Despite the repetitive lines, NFL 2k's commentary sounds natural, there is banter between the announcers and all. In Madden Gus Johnson sounds all over the place, and it's obvious that Collingsworth lines were pasted in.

Look at this video, state overlays, good commentary. Sigh
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFumNoeA35w
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-24-2010, 12:19 PM   #2
MVP

bigsmallwood's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: Announcing

I think we have to wait to hear the final product before we hand down a solid judgement on the commentary. All the E3 vids do show them sounding distant from the game and each other...however I think we still must wait. The game does not come out until August and probably has more tweaks to it.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:15 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 27

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but because you need roughly a 2-month window get the game to market, it's pretty much a done deal. The only possible sliver of hope(and it's a slim one) is that the game at E3 is an early build where they didn't get the commentary altogether yet. But I highly doubt this is the case. For yearly releases due out soon, by E3, you're usually looking at what you'e going to get in the final product, give or take a few minor tweaks (mostly dealing with stability).
Old 06-24-2010, 01:21 PM   #4
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

To answer the topic question, the commentators in the NFL2K series were professional voice actors. The real-life commentators brought in for Madden and NCAA, however good they may be in real life, are not.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:32 PM   #5
MVP

bigsmallwood's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but because you need roughly a 2-month window get the game to market, it's pretty much a done deal. The only possible sliver of hope(and it's a slim one) is that the game at E3 is an early build where they didn't get the commentary altogether yet. But I highly doubt this is the case. For yearly releases due out soon, by E3, you're usually looking at what you'e going to get in the final product, give or take a few minor tweaks (mostly dealing with stability).
Yeah I am fearing that this may have been a more final build.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-25-2010, 08:40 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krioniq
To answer the topic question, the commentators in the NFL2K series were professional voice actors. The real-life commentators brought in for Madden and NCAA, however good they may be in real life, are not.
That link to NFL 2k5 is pretty impressive. I really like how they did the commentary.

But it's not just about the performance of the voice acting. It's how the commentary is designed to work into the game.

The voice actors just supply the voice. The game developers supply all the lines and the logic for how they work together. I can't really accept that real-life commentators not being voice actors is what's holding back the Madden commentary - it's the game designers. And if it really is the real-life commentators for some odd reason, then they need to ditch them.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:05 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by arton86
And if it really is the real-life commentators for some odd reason, then they need to ditch them.
Considering that every single commentator who has come through there has turned into a lifeless robot, I feel it's obvious that it's the design and not the commentators.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:04 PM   #8
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

OVR: 28

Why would a voice actor be any better than professional sports commentators who work for major broadcasting companies? If anything, voice actors could be worse seeing as they may or may not be as familiar with the subject matter.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »