Home

What are we reading?

This is a discussion on What are we reading? within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
FIFA 21 Review
Tennis World Tour 2 Review
Doug Flutie's Maximum Football 2020 Review
Poll: Which next-gen console are you going to purchase? (Click to vote)

Old 06-30-2010, 01:17 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 8
What are we reading?

I've posted on several threads that I read NFL books so I thought it would be a welcome change to start a thread about the books that we are reading that could be applicable to our Madden philosophies... I'll share the last 2 books I've read:

1) The Art of War - Sun Tzu

While this book isn't directly applicable to Madden, it does illustrate several concepts that apply to any strategic endeavor. It describes areas of the 'battlefield' that directly affect the types of strategy to expect and the dangers of over-expectation. I gained a broader sense of why I was making the decisions I was making...

2) Play Football the NFL Way - Tom Bass

This book is one of my favorite football books around. It describes the most basic fundamentals of the game from every position, including drills to perfect the reads and actions of real football players. I use this book to better understand how to better use the tools Madden has available to best duplicate the football I see on Sunday's. I try to read this book at least one a year to stay grounded.

As you can see, not every book is directly applicable, but that doesn't mean we can't apply some concept to how we play our game. What have you guys read recently that helps you develop your philosophy toward playing Madden? And how has that book helped?

Later
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-30-2010, 09:46 PM   #2
MVP

dophin26's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: What are we reading?

I don't play Madden at all, but I do read books on football. Here are a few I've read:

Next Man Up

I've read Next Man Up, an incredibly long book about a year with the Baltimore Ravens. It might have been better had I been a fan of the Ravens, but I'm not. It was interesting to get a look behind the field and what happens in the front office. The guy writing it was obviously afraid of creating too much bad press for the Ravens, as everything is pretty sugarcoated.

The $1 League

A very good read and well worth the price I paid for the book was The $1 League, the Rise and Fall of the USFL. I am a huge fan of the defunct league and am a collector of USFL merchandise, so it was awesome to see what made the league fail. Most people familiar with the USFL know it had a lot to do with Trump, but it goes much deeper than that. Tough book to find.

Behind the Lines

Don Strock's book. This was a must read for me, being a life-long Dolphins fan. Nothing super juicy, but insightful.

THE DARK SIDE OF THE GAME

Tim Green's THE DARK SIDE OF THE GAME was a decent read too. You get the idea that he wishes everyone would play on an equal level, but the pressure to dope up in the NFL is too great. I liked it and it showed a few of those guys can do more than just run and throw a ball or sack a quarterback.

I'm sure there are a couple others, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

Last edited by dophin26; 06-30-2010 at 09:49 PM.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:54 PM   #3
Banned

Got any screenshots of the covers?

I might go grab some of these...

Here's mine.

Sun Tzu's Art of War:

Play Football the NFL Way

I also enjoyed some of these:

Winning Defense - Bud Wilkinson

This book was one of the primary influences in m defensive philosophy. It covers the basics of setting up fronts to best defend the offensive formation, positional keys to playing the linebacker position, and some good stuff about run support with the secondary... I have to find another copy because I lost my original when I moved to Detroit.

I'm looking at what I should read next...

Later
Old 07-02-2010, 03:27 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 42

I recommend NEXT MAN UP to sports and non sports fans alike.

Just a real solid book.

And I wasn't a Raven fan other than my love for D heavy teams but I came away from it really liking Ozzie Newsom.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:51 PM   #5
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

Think I've heard of the art of war.

http://theartofwar.triplethreatclan.com/

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-04-2010, 07:40 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 55

I've got "The Art of War" too! It's funny to read sometimes because it gives you literal army strategies for like 500 BC, and other times it gives great psychological insight. Cool book.

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A
Old 07-05-2010, 11:06 AM   #7
Banned

Here's one I read about 15 years agoby John Madden and Dave Anderson... Great book. Very insightful. It talks about what it was like when Madden coached the Raiders. Offers up hints about scouting personnel that are often overlooked when I hear coverage of the combine.

One Knee Equals Two Feet (And Everything Else You Need to Know About Football)

This was the first football book I've ever read.

Later
Old 07-31-2010, 01:44 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 2

I have not read a football book yet.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »