Home

What's The Best Football Game Ever?

This is a discussion on What's The Best Football Game Ever? within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-02-2010, 01:39 PM   #33
All Star

Lieutenant Dan's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: What's The Best Football Game Ever?

NFL2K5
Head Coach 09
APF2k8

That's my elite group. I've logged more hours on HC09 and 2k5 than I care to admit, lol.

Madden 10 was a blast, so Madden is knocking on the door for future consideration once the gameplay, presentation and franchise all finally come together (probably a year or two away).

OS Dibs: Anna Kendrick

Elite Dangerous on One X has become my life.

Proud PS5 and Xbox Series X Owner
"Best of Both Worlds"
Old 08-03-2010, 11:29 PM   #34
MVP

jorge380's Arena

OVR: 13

NFL2K5
MADDEN 04
MADDEN 05
NFL FEVER 2004-has cool tackle animations,Heck the coach even speaks to you about the playcalling ala Madden 11.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:29 PM   #35

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorge380
NFL2K5
MADDEN 04
MADDEN 05
NFL FEVER 2004-has cool tackle animations,Heck the coach even speaks to you about the playcalling ala Madden 11.
I think it was Fever that had the QB's eyes moving. I was always impressed with that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2010, 05:21 PM   #36
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

NFL Fever 2004 also had the best weather effects EVER....especially the cold weather stuff!!
Old 08-04-2010, 06:02 PM   #37
MVP

jorge380's Arena

OVR: 13

NFL FEVER has some awesome Nfl films style music playing at the begining of every game.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:12 AM   #38
Rookie

demon19000's Arena

OVR: 3

my memorable ones in order (I have not played each game on all systems, but I've played each game):

1. NCAA 11 (PS3)- so far, we'll see in a few months.
2. NFL 2K5 (PS2)
3. NCAA 07 (PS2)
4. Madden 97 (PS)
5. Tecmo Bowl (NES)
6. Madden 2005 (PS2)
7. NCAA 99 (PS)
8. Madden 92 (GENESIS)

each of these, for me at least, stood out from the other football games around at the time.
!
--------------------------------------
PSN: demon19000
Old 08-10-2010, 09:23 PM   #39
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
NFL Fever 2004 also had the best weather effects EVER....especially the cold weather stuff!!
NFL Fever 2004 had great graphics for its time, although I never owned the game and never played it. Still need to find it for Xbox1.

It's funny you should mention weather effects in that game as being the best ever. Because just yesterday I started playing NFL Gameday 2004 for PS2. And I was blown away by the weather effects in that game. I put snow on, and although the snow itself didn't blow you away (although it didn't look bad), i was simply amazed at how the field looked with snow. As players walked and ran around on the field, they created track marks with their cleats. So I have yet to play NFL Fever 2004, but as far as weather effects, NFL Gameday 2004 did a darn good job.

And while I am on the subject, I think Gameday 2004 should get a mention in this thread, not so much as for being the best game ever, but for having some of the best features and controls in a football game. I just picked up NFL Gameday 2004 on PS2 up on sunday used for 99 cents. Copied it to the good ol' external hard drive, fired up openps2loader elf, and gave NFL Gameday 2004 an honest look after all these years.

To my surprised, NFL Gameday 2004 is a damn good game. No, the graphics weren't as good as Madden 2004. Madden 2004 had a more polished running game. But where NFL Gameday 2004 shines is in the passing game. Wow. Just wow. I ask myself how did I not ever play this game? The passing and catch receiving system in NFL Gameday 2004 may just be the most realistic catching system in any football game...Ever!

Yeah, this is the first football game where like going up for a catch actually feels and looks like going up for a catch in the NFL. After playing NFL Gameday 2004 for a good couple of hours, I must recommend this game to any fan of the sport. Does anyone play Gameday 2004 on PS2? Gameday 2004 has some amazing things that are superior to Madden 2004, which is considered as one of the best maddens ever. Let me try to list them:

-Incredibly creative, deep, and satisfying catching system. What makes the catching system so good is the catching animations. Perhaps the best thing about catching passes is sideline catches. I made an incredible sideline reception with Ike Hilliard, i couldn't believe how amazing it was.
-Great camera views, including a "Defender" camera view that is behind the defensive player you are controlling when on defense. You can switch players and the camera moves too. And when you have that camera selected, when you are on offense, the camera becomes normal again.
-In my opinion, the best kicking system EVER!
-Incredible amount of stadiums, including all the Super Bowls stadiums from the past (yes all of them), and many more stadiums including some fantasy stadiums, futuristic stadiums, old NFL stadiums like the old New Orleans outdoor stadium, and a throwback stadium in Hoboken, NJ with no yard line markers, and the option to have old fashioned uniforms.
-Great weather effects, especially how the field appears in snow.

There are a lot of things to love about NFL Gameday 2004, and as of now I cannot make a conclusion on exactly how good or great the game is because I have to tweak gameplay. I am still deciding on difficulty, whether I want to play on All Pro or Hall of Fame. Now i have the CPU's IQ at 150. There are a lot of things to adjust in terms of difficulty that could solve some of the quirks I've been experiencing.

I would say the one thing that perhaps holds Gameday 2004 back is the fact that it's a little more of a slow paced game then madden. You have to be more patient. The stadiums aren't quite as detailed as madden. The playbooks aren't near the size of maddens playbooks. Defense controls also aren't quite as deep as madden. There doesn't seem to be a strafe button on defense (although everything is incredibly pressure sensitive more so than madden) and for the life of me i cannot figure out how to throw the ball away as a QB. (didn't come with a manual and can't find that control in-game)

The pressure sensitivity is the best. You can steep slowly for a few steps when returning punts. It just feels good. What is there is done well and there is enough variation to enjoy the game. It may not be the most complete fully tested game ever, but NFL Gameday 2004 is definitely a good game. It's a game that I intend to give a second and third look to. Gameday 2004 was by far the best Gameday on PS2 from what I read.

Perhaps the best thing in NFL Gameday 2004 is when you run out of bounds, the clock stops and it doesn't run again until you snap the ball.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:30 PM   #40
Banned

OVR: 49

2k5 is by far the greatest football game of all time. Its not even close. Anyone who disagree's, isnt worth listening to. Thats just how much better that game was then the rest

1-nfl 2k5
2-tecmo super bowl(nes 2nd attempt) For its day was awesome.
3-nfl 2k on dreamcast was a huge revelation for football games future
4-madden 2001 (the first attempt on ps2 was ground breaking)
5-tecmo super bowl 2 (snes first release)

I would actually put 2k4 2nd, but since I got 2k5 in the #1 spot, Ill just leave 2k4 off.

***gameday 98(I think) was a huge release also. It sort of was a nice step up)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »