Home

Stinks not having Choices!!! One Nfl game

This is a discussion on Stinks not having Choices!!! One Nfl game within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-27-2010, 10:12 AM   #9
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Stinks not having Choices!!! One Nfl game

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
When does the contract end? 2012? If Madden's sales keep falling, I don't know if the NFL will stick with them. The NFL is obsessed with exclusive deals, but they're more obsessed with money and if two companies were allowed to make games, that would equal more sales than now and could potentially earn more money for the NFL than when one company pays them for exclusive rights.

If sales keep falling, my hopes keep rising a little bit.
Because you're relatively new here you can't be expected to know this, but we've covered this same ground several times in recent years.

Here's some info on the subject from OS member DrJones. He is a well known and respected member of this community who has been employed by both EA and 2K:

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...post2038997926

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJones
In the "olden days", the 3 companies paid the NFL/PA a royalty per unit sold, at roughly 10%. Let's say the total football market is about 6 million units. 6 million x $60 x 10% = $36M annually to the NFL. The current EA deal with the NFL pays them between $60M-$70M per year, regardless of units sold.
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...post2037681616

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJones
As I explained before, the NFL and NFLPA (not to mention the MLB and other leagues) were paid by unit before the exclusivity deal. Every time a contract expired, they asked for a bigger piece of the pie. Outrageous demands (like "you now have to pay us double or triple what you're paying us now") were occasionally made, and were rejected by EA and 2K alike, as difficult as it may be for you to believe. The NFL has the hammer in negotations, true, but far from absolute power. EA offered to pay a large flat fee (in essence, much higher royalties) in exchange for exclusivity. The NFL accepted. If the NFL thought they could've made more money by keeping the per-unit royalty system intact and arbitrarily jacking up the royalty fees for all developers, they most assuredly would have done so.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:04 PM   #10
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyJerz32
Do you really think that letter is going to do anything? People still love Madden and that's all the NFL wants.
I may have little success with this, those were my first statements with the post. I find writing a e-mail to the NFL despite them not putting much thought into what was said much better than sitting on the forums talking about Madden's flaws. I know that someone open the e-mail because it's a NFL shop related subject.

I'm sick of berating EA and Madden. It gets really redundant after a while knowing EA isn't going to do anything because they don't want anyone to question their game. They just want people accept it.
Old 08-28-2010, 01:51 PM   #11
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

I know EA pays the NFL more money than they ever made in a year. But the NFL is in love with two things. Their image and their money. Now, I'm sure they'll take money over image first. But now a days a lot more people have consoles and that would equal more sales now than ever before. Now, if the NFL could gain a better image and only make $5-$10 million less per year from football video games, I am not too sure what they would do.

But I have to be hopeful. I know they'll probably try and stay exclusive, but if EA keeps losing hundreds of millions of dollars ever quarter, I can't see them taking the exclusive offer anymore when it hasn't earned them any more money than they used to make.

― Plato
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »