Home

Is NCAA 11 the 2k5 killer?

This is a discussion on Is NCAA 11 the 2k5 killer? within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Is NCAA 11 the 2k5 killer?
Absolutely, NCAA 11 tops them all. 47 29.56%
Close, but not quite. 43 27.04%
Not even close. 69 43.40%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-20-2010, 02:55 PM   #33
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Is NCAA 11 the 2k5 killer?

Not even close.

2K5 had a completeness to it.

NCAA 11 feels like an unfinished product.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:08 PM   #34
MVP

OVR: 27

2K5 is a legend. You can't kill a legend no matter how good (or overrated like NCAA 11) a future product might be. 2K5 is still the best-feeling football game I've ever played. Everything feels nice and tight, and because of the fact that everything flows so well I overlook the flaws. Every football game is going to have flaws and tons of them, it's an extremely difficult type of game to make with so many opportunities for error, so that's never going away.

Look, Tiburon is just trying to fit a square peg into a round hole with all of these funky, made-up presentation renditions. The 2K Football series nailed this aspect, and they didn't fool around with whacky renditions. They knew what they had to do, they knew TV was the standard, and they got it done. They're still getting it done in their other sports games. They get it.

The presentation of EA's football games lack the technical sharpness and polish, and the pinpoint timing that 2K's had. 2K's presentation efforts are what a final should look and sound like, while EA's is akin to what you'd expect from an Alpha build by comparison. When you've got the wrong cut scenes popping up multiple times during the course of a game in both EA football games, presentation pieces that don't play properly (obviously broken variables), empty shots (mostly a problem in Madden), etc. you're releasing Alpha-level presentation material, arguably even pre-Alpha. That would be fine for open public testing, but not on final games costing $60+... and not when the same problem spans over multiple years
Old 09-20-2010, 03:43 PM   #35
Banned

OVR: 18

I recently re-discovered NFL2K5 on the original XBOX. I downloaded a ton of classic 80's and 90's rosters and am recreating single seasons. Now I have to say that as the far as the complete package. NFL2K5 is the bomb. As far as gameplay it is not the best though. The AI has serious flaws. And sliders are helping but not making it perfect or close to perfect. I love NCAA 2011 just as much as NFL2K5 and to be very honest Madden 2011 with sliders and gameplanning is the best playing Madden since 2005. I think this year EA got a lot of things right gameplay wise.

But for a total sim like expereince NFL2K5 is still the king. with NCAA 2011 and Madden 2011 and 2005 right on their heels.

IMO if you took NFL2K5's presentation and franchise mode and slapped that into Madden 2011 you would have the best console football game ever.

Yes NFL2K5 had sick animations for it's time and they still hold up. But the game speed and turbo is still too arcady compared to the the new Pro-Tak and Locomotion dual stick control. The running game in NCAA and Madden is amazing IMO. The passing game still needs some work but is very enjoyable.

I play all 3 titles. So what's not to be happy about!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2010, 04:34 PM   #36
Pro

OVR: 12

I don't think the running game in Madden or NCAA is as good as 2k5. In NCAA I can never get hit by a defender and then spin off of him unless protak takes over and there is a little battle.

I like on 2k5 how I can spin and have contact at the same time. I haven't been able to perform that on NCAA.

Also, the end of the run often times ruins the experience for me with the 1on1 tackles (and people falling down around my player) of NCAA and Madden.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craniosynostosis
Old 09-20-2010, 04:40 PM   #37
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todem
I recently re-discovered NFL2K5 on the original XBOX. I downloaded a ton of classic 80's and 90's rosters and am recreating single seasons. Now I have to say that as the far as the complete package. NFL2K5 is the bomb. As far as gameplay it is not the best though. The AI has serious flaws. And sliders are helping but not making it perfect or close to perfect. I love NCAA 2011 just as much as NFL2K5 and to be very honest Madden 2011 with sliders and gameplanning is the best playing Madden since 2005. I think this year EA got a lot of things right gameplay wise.

But for a total sim like expereince NFL2K5 is still the king. with NCAA 2011 and Madden 2011 and 2005 right on their heels.

IMO if you took NFL2K5's presentation and franchise mode and slapped that into Madden 2011 you would have the best console football game ever.

Yes NFL2K5 had sick animations for it's time and they still hold up. But the game speed and turbo is still too arcady compared to the the new Pro-Tak and Locomotion dual stick control. The running game in NCAA and Madden is amazing IMO. The passing game still needs some work but is very enjoyable.

I play all 3 titles. So what's not to be happy about!!!
Pro-Tak is one of the worst new features in a while. It's a solid idea in theory but the in-game implementation of it is horrible. When the defense wins it ends up looking like a Pop Warner tackle not to mention little backs can end up breaking out of it.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:49 PM   #38
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amaizen Blue
The starting line-ups, halftime show, and "ESPN sky-cam" caught me in awe when 2k5 came out. And of course, they're 3 extremely easy things to put into the game. I just don't understand how features in an outdated football game are still NOT in "next-gen" games.
Actually, no they aren't.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:59 PM   #39
Rookie

OVR: 0

Personally, its gonna take a few years before NCAA would ever top 2k5. Its gonna take a lot of godliness to top it.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:22 PM   #40
Banned

OVR: 8

Like someone else in the thread said we must have really lower what we want in a football game if we vote ncaa11 to be the greatest.

Last edited by lofeazy; 09-20-2010 at 11:46 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »