Home

Why don't Americans like text-sims?

This is a discussion on Why don't Americans like text-sims? within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-13-2011, 01:59 AM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Why don't Americans like text-sims?

I really like to see the players playing in 3D. Its the same for me with strategy or RPG games. Seeing "John Doe ran it back for a 70 yard touchdown!" doesn't do it for me. I want to see him juke, break tackles, and out run defenders. To me the ideal gaming experience would be matrix like, total immersion. Playing something that is 99% text is about as far away from that as you can get without not having a game at all.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:45 AM   #34
MVP

LanteriX's Arena

OVR: 15

I enjoy text sims way more than playing games these days. I get much more of a feeling of accomplishment by building a team and gameplanning and managing them to victory, than I do by controlling my players' every move.

I mean, when you play video games long enough, it gets to the point where you can win with anybody and make players perform well outside their actual abilities based on "stick skills" alone.

I much prefer an OOTP or FM league/network game where you're testing your managing abilities against other humans. I feel that's more of a true accomplishment than simply dedicating your time to becoming good on the sticks as you're required to be a thinker and constantly be able to adjust. I mean, sure, when you play a sports game against another human your abilities come through, but that's just it. It's more you than your team. I.E., take an MLB the Show league for example. I've played in plenty of leagues where you can get an exceptionally talented player, give them the worst team on the game, and have them destroy average players playing with elite teams. It's just not realistic.

I'm trying to think of a better way to explain my thought process here, but I'm sure you can pick up the gist of it.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:46 AM   #35
Hall Of Fame

Brandwin's Arena

OVR: 50
I like both and there is room for both. I just wish there was a deeper football text sim.

There has been plenty of times that I took over a team in NCAA and simmed the games and only did the recruiting. Text sims are like doing the offseason stuff but 10x deeper.

Follow me on Twitter -
@iBranddon

Sent from the depths of the sea but I'm heading back to the block
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-18-2011, 11:53 PM   #36
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DookieMowf
I like both and there is room for both. I just wish there was a deeper football text sim.

There has been plenty of times that I took over a team in NCAA and simmed the games and only did the recruiting. Text sims are like doing the offseason stuff but 10x deeper.

Follow me on Twitter -
@iBranddon

Sent from the depths of the sea but I'm heading back to the block
A deeper one than http://deeproute.com ?

In what way?

Most people say if anything there's too much to do in our sim.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:10 AM   #37
YNWA

ImTellinTim's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplepower_NC

If I want to get down to business, and looking to get some realist gameplay in I will get out the text based games. Most of the time...these are solo, or an online league. You don't have to hope your game skills are better...but you have to hope your knowledge of the game is. You have to know gameplans, pitching staffs, and any other thing that a manager/GM is required to know...or at least have an ideal of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanteriX
I enjoy text sims way more than playing games these days. I get much more of a feeling of accomplishment by building a team and gameplanning and managing them to victory, than I do by controlling my players' every move.

I mean, when you play video games long enough, it gets to the point where you can win with anybody and make players perform well outside their actual abilities based on "stick skills" alone.

I much prefer an OOTP or FM league/network game where you're testing your managing abilities against other humans. I feel that's more of a true accomplishment than simply dedicating your time to becoming good on the sticks as you're required to be a thinker and constantly be able to adjust. I mean, sure, when you play a sports game against another human your abilities come through, but that's just it. It's more you than your team. I.E., take an MLB the Show league for example. I've played in plenty of leagues where you can get an exceptionally talented player, give them the worst team on the game, and have them destroy average players playing with elite teams. It's just not realistic.

I'm trying to think of a better way to explain my thought process here, but I'm sure you can pick up the gist of it.
My feelings exactly. No game where I have direct control over my players will ever give me the same enjoyment as the cerebral challenge FM offers me. Never again I say. Sure I'll enjoy some exhibitions of the live play games. But until a live game can offer me the same challenge, I will always favor "text" sims.

The closest is The Show (which I'll probably play a season of), but if I win the World Series on that game, I will shrug my shoulders. When I win a Premier League title on FM, I want to run out on the sidewalks downtown and spread the word of my great triumph.

Last edited by ImTellinTim; 02-19-2011 at 12:15 AM.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:37 AM   #38
Rookie

OVR: 3

As a Brit in my 20s and a fanatical soccer fan I've played the FM series for many years.

However I've really got into American football in the last five years and would love to play an equivalent that could encapsulate the feeling of the sport as well as FM does for our football.

If it were ever to be created and open to a modding community able to replicate the pro or college football universe with FM levels of detail, I'd probably never leave the house again.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:25 AM   #39
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCats101
As a Brit in my 20s and a fanatical soccer fan I've played the FM series for many years.

However I've really got into American football in the last five years and would love to play an equivalent that could encapsulate the feeling of the sport as well as FM does for our football.

If it were ever to be created and open to a modding community able to replicate the pro or college football universe with FM levels of detail, I'd probably never leave the house again.
I wholeheartedly agree. It's almost to the point where I can't play FM anymore; the depth of that game only makes the lack of a quality american football simulation much more glaring.

Even if the game just used dots for the players it would still be an incredible game - just like in FM where I can tell if my striker's having a bad game, I'd love to be able to pull my starting quarterback because I've seen make several bad decisions. Especially if the game had a formation and play-editor as deep as FM's tactics creator then yeah, I'd never leave the house either.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:20 PM   #40
Rookie

OVR: 0

Football mogul and baseball mogul are 2 of my favorite games i like starting with a early team in the nfl and working my way up through the years signing and draftin good people stayin away from busts lol

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »