Home

Why don't Americans like text-sims?

This is a discussion on Why don't Americans like text-sims? within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-15-2011, 09:36 AM   #65
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Why don't Americans like text-sims?

Never tried Front Office Football, but I'll check it out. I do prefer some sort of graphical representation of what's happening on the field. I don't need great graphics. The match engine in Football Manager works for me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-15-2011, 09:53 AM   #66
Hall Of Fame

Jistic's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd2727
Never tried Front Office Football, but I'll check it out. I do prefer some sort of graphical representation of what's happening on the field. I don't need great graphics. The match engine in Football Manager works for me.
I think there's a demo. If you like come visit us at simgamingnetwork.com, there's a league there. I've been out of it a few seasons to focus on other leagues but it's very well run.

Old 09-03-2011, 11:07 PM   #67
Rookie

OVR: 0

Would it matter to anyone if you made a American Football sim that was a sandbox game?

I for one, if I had the money and a team to do so, would love to recreate what Front Page Sports did with their game presentation (the anti-Madden to be exact) but with the ability to create an entire universe (ala Out of the Park baseball) or with a league mirroring the NFL.

My problem with EVERY single football sim since FPS, was that it only did give you the one NFL presentation. Front Office Football was merely a spreadsheet game with the NFL setup. You had to have a hard cap, you had to start with 32 teams, you could only hire 3 people to help run the team and you could move a team only after you couldn't build a new stadium (that you couldn't see or reap any financial rewards from in the game).

Why can't you have a game that allows you to start a league from scratch with your own rules and regulations and financial system? Just because the NFL has a hard salary cap, doesn't mean every game needs too as well.

I've always thought it would be great to make the American football version of Football Manager, but with the sandbox mode and different "gimmicks". You could have a staff that actually could impact the growth of your players. You could have a front office staff that could find those draft gems or street free agents or help identify players on teams you could steal away with a draft pick.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:52 PM   #68
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjoe
Quite the opposite. For Madden, NCAA, all of the video games, they lack the ability to retain my interest. Think about it..after playing it for a few weeks, I'm ready for the next game because it gets boring. Same cut scenes. Same animations. Always have bugs that can't be patched. Always waiting for next year and the promise the game will be fixed and perfect. Never happens. But text sims get played for years and the lasting power is greater. Thus, SOM, APBA, etc. have been around over 40 years and retain a loyal following, even if the game is not updated annually.

I play videogames, but they never hold my interest like text games. The best for football is ACtion Pc football, by far.
Yeah, I love the game. I've had it for about a month. A lot of strategy, but nothing overwhelming.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:54 PM   #69
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkrptnt819
Here is my question to someone who is strictly text-sim player. If someone released a game that had the statistical perefection of text sim but the plays play out on the screen would you be interested? Say NFL HC had all the features you love in your text sim would that be your game of choice?
Yeah, I'd prefer graphics, but Head Coach sucks!!
Old 09-05-2011, 08:58 PM   #70
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by csaber2009
Would it matter to anyone if you made a American Football sim that was a sandbox game?

I for one, if I had the money and a team to do so, would love to recreate what Front Page Sports did with their game presentation (the anti-Madden to be exact) but with the ability to create an entire universe (ala Out of the Park baseball) or with a league mirroring the NFL.

My problem with EVERY single football sim since FPS, was that it only did give you the one NFL presentation. Front Office Football was merely a spreadsheet game with the NFL setup. You had to have a hard cap, you had to start with 32 teams, you could only hire 3 people to help run the team and you could move a team only after you couldn't build a new stadium (that you couldn't see or reap any financial rewards from in the game).

Why can't you have a game that allows you to start a league from scratch with your own rules and regulations and financial system? Just because the NFL has a hard salary cap, doesn't mean every game needs too as well.

I've always thought it would be great to make the American football version of Football Manager, but with the sandbox mode and different "gimmicks". You could have a staff that actually could impact the growth of your players. You could have a front office staff that could find those draft gems or street free agents or help identify players on teams you could steal away with a draft pick.
This is my dream. Football Manager-style college football game with in-depth recruiting, training, deep strategy aspects and live in-game playcalling. Using the dots from FM's 2D mode would be perfect IMO.

Until then, Professional Football Simulator is the best we've got.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »