Home

My crazy for another football game series.

This is a discussion on My crazy for another football game series. within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-22-2011, 10:53 AM   #9
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: My crazy for another football game series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryolemon
Then why haven't people sued Forza over their editors? The amount of Nintendo / Konami / Sega / etc. IP that gets made by people using them is immense. Backbreaker didn't get sued either, and that used a similar system.
You'd have to ask the IP holders. Backbreaker I don't think was really popular enough. If a game went on to sell several hundred thousand units on the strength of all of its custom NFL rosters that aren't licensed do you really think the NFL would let that slide? They have no reason to, they have to protect the value of their license.

It's against the TOS at both OS and the official Backbreaker forums to promote IP theft, but neither have been enforced.

Quote:
Copyrighted Material
Operation Sports board users agree not to post any material that is protected by copyright, trademark or other proprietary right without the express permission of the owner(s) of said copyright, trademark or other proprietary right.
Legal stuff is all about risk, and in the grand scheme of things the 82 threads over the life of the BB subforum don't amount to much.

This stuff is why Marvel sued (and settled with) the creators of City of Heroes due to the detail allowed in their hero creation.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:11 PM   #10
Pro

BearClaw's Arena

OVR: 9

If people sold Backbreaker NFL rosters then they could have been in serious legal trouble.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:22 PM   #11
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearClaw
If people sold Backbreaker NFL rosters then they could have been in serious legal trouble.
Some did, via requests for donations and/or provided donation links.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2011, 03:42 PM   #12
MVP

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
You'd have to ask the IP holders. Backbreaker I don't think was really popular enough. If a game went on to sell several hundred thousand units on the strength of all of its custom NFL rosters that aren't licensed do you really think the NFL would let that slide? They have no reason to, they have to protect the value of their license.
It depends on exactly what was being done. As was said, if someone was selling the rosters or whatever it would be more likely that they (and probably not the game company, although that depends on where they were selling the stuff) would get sued. Also, logos are more of a problem than rosters, as long as there weren't any player photos in the game and the player models were relatively generic you'd have a hard time arguing that that was a breach of likeness (cf. Jim Brown).

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »