Home

Gameday 2004 Impressions

This is a discussion on Gameday 2004 Impressions within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-27-2003, 03:58 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 15
Gameday 2004 Impressions

This is the year Gameday 2004 turned the corner! If you don't want to read any further let's get this out of the way. NFL Gameday 2004 is back!

Quick impressions of a quickie game. Go ahead and ask away. I'll try and answer as much as I can.

Presentation: 8.5
Cool NFL Films Intro. Good audio presentation by Enberg and Fouts. Nothing special but it's not as bad as Madden 2004 with Michaels and Madden.

Interface: 9.0
Very intuative, easy to get around the menus.

Visuals/Graphics 8.5
Very nice, grass looks real has a nice texture to it. A very bright game. Pro Player Stadium looks just like I remember with the dirt infield at the start of the exhibition season. Player models look very good as well. Some jaggies but better than previous games. Game has cheerleaders like Madden's game. My only problem and it's slight is that the game seems to run a little on the slow side even setting the game speed on high. Is this Sony's way of avoiding framerate issues? I don't know but not a big deal.

Gameplay 9.0
Very surprised, quite good. Who says it was easy to run the ball. Using Ricky Williams against Tampa with the difficulty at "Vetern" averaged 3-4 yards a carry. Defensive AI plays the passing game quite well. Sometimes you get a deep ball, most of the time you need to play a short passing game, this applies to the NFL. It appears from the short game in Veteran difficulty you have to mix up your plays.

Nice feature I left the Gameday series i with Gameday 99. It has a hot key for pass protection which trust me you will need it. L1= Max Protect or Super Protect. This means you can initiate Pass protection from a back or if Super Protect from both backs.

The defensive AI pass rush is very good, stay in the pocket cause the big defensive uglies are looking for ya.

That's it for now, ask away I'll see if I can answer ?'s. Be warned my Football knowledge might not be as advanced as yours.

Without seeing ESPN Football 2004 and having played Madden 2004 (love that game). Gameday 2004 is starting to chase Madden. It's a very solid effort by Red Zone.

My review score for Gameday 2004 "8.8"
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2003, 04:04 PM   #2
L*rd *f th* M*n*t**s

Cincinnati_Kid's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Gameday 2004 Impressions

this game took last years baby steps of improvement

and leeped forward quite a bit

i am very pleased with what im seeing so far

this might even be the release of the day (aug 27th 2003) in the NFL category
Old 08-27-2003, 04:05 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

do the computer teams run the ball effectivly and how is the cpu clock managment at the end of the half\game.

thanks
Old 08-27-2003, 04:06 PM   #4
Banned

Quote:

cbird said:
do the computer teams run the ball effectivly and how is the cpu clock managment at the end of the half\game.

thanks

I'll check and get back with ya.
Old 08-27-2003, 04:13 PM   #5
Banned

Yes you can adjust in the game options the amount of AI running plays or AI passing plays.

Btw the animations in the game are quite good as well.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2003, 04:19 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 10

have u played online yet? and ign said its very easy to run the ball is that true? and what would u rate madden? if u rated gameday a 8.8?
Old 08-27-2003, 04:27 PM   #7
Banned

Quote:

AtlantaFalconFan said:
have u played online yet? and ign said its very easy to run the ball is that true? and what would u rate madden? if u rated gameday a 8.8?

Yes and no. I average 3.5 YPC with Ricky Williams. That's with at normal difficulty (veteran). If you tweak the sliders it's tough even in veteran mode to run the ball. The AI in the game picks up on trends or the offense AI exploits weaknesses quite well. It gets tougher if you bump the AI IQ (awareness). So I don't agree with IGN.

I don't have a network adapter, sorry.

I would rate Madden 2004 a 9.0, solid game, but audio takes away from my score.
Old 08-27-2003, 04:36 PM   #8
MVP

TCrouch's Arena

OVR: 33

Yeah I read the IGN review that said you get far too many yards rushing, and I certainly didn't see it. I busted a nice 32 yarder with Garner around the end, but my average gain up the gut was like 2 yards. Some stuffs, some 6 yarders, mostly minimal gains.

I really think Gameday is a sleeper this year.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »