Home

Impressions

This is a discussion on Impressions within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-28-2003, 11:51 AM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Impressions

To those with the game, and maybe Dan could chime in on this, how the CPU running game? Do they make a realistic attempt to establish it? Do they abandon rushing at the first sign of trouble? You guys have been giving good impressions of run blocking so far and I'm wondering if that translates to CPU success as well.

Also, I know it's early (this is why I'm including Dan in my question), but how's the Dynasty mode? I know that it doesn't have the flashy presentation of ESPN or quite the depth of Madden, but is it serviceable? How the CPU operates in the draft, free-agency, and trading is, to me, more important than a combine-like presentation or the price of cheesesteaks in Philly's stadium. Is the CPU aggressive and "smart"? Does it initiate trades with the player and other CPU teams?
The R&L passing system has me intrigued enough to consider Fever before ESPN arrives (I'll only be owning one FB game this year); I want to know if the game will have the longevity to last a whole year.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:54 AM   #34
MVP

OVR: 7

I had a game against Miami last night and once they figured out that I was having a hard time stopping the run that's all they did. They threw a couple of passes to keep me off balance but they ran the ball 90% of the time. Ricky Williams ended up having 3 TDs and 140 rushing yards.
Old 08-28-2003, 12:49 PM   #35
Rookie

OVR: 1

Xythander,

Just curious: what difficulty level were you playing on?

I've played a few games on Rookie (this is my first Fever - I'm trying to learn everything) and the CPU did not really try to establish the run.

I'll bump up to the next difficulty level tonight and see how it goes.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-28-2003, 12:52 PM   #36
Rookie

OVR: 1

As far as Read n' Lead: I'm really digging it - even though I'm no good at it yet.

I don't find that it rushes the QB's progression - I only go RnL when I'm sure who I'm going to pass to. Also, I've always been frustrated by where the QB puts the ball when using the standard one-touch passing. I like having complete control (for better or worse).
Old 08-28-2003, 12:55 PM   #37
MVP

OVR: 7

I was playing on All-Pro with 5 min quarters.
Old 08-28-2003, 01:19 PM   #38
MVP

Klocker's Arena

OVR: 16

One thing I like about the R & L set-up is if you set it to UNLOCKED....you have the choice to play it as LOCKED during the play.

That way if I can't get the cursor to where I want it in Unlocked, I can just select a receiver. or multiple as I cycle through them and then lead the receiver.

Or at any time I can just do pure R & L unlocked....once you choose a receiver and it goes to Lock mode, you can not go back to unlocked during that play.

The biggest problem I'm having in unlocked right now is the computer assigning the WRONG receiver to the pass that I've thrown. IT highlights a player that I was NOT intending the pass for. This probably has more to do with a bad LEAD on my part though.

Also, I find the computer picky about taking manual contol of my receiver. I hit SWITCH to receiver button while the pass is in the air and it does not always switch him.....that sux.

Also I have noticed that at least for defensive players your controlled defender JOGS (runs) unless you are using the speed burst (Sprint) button.

That may be why the game appears to move more slowly.

you have to keep the Sprint button held down the entire time.

Old 08-28-2003, 01:51 PM   #39
MVP

XBox_Roughneck's Arena

OVR: 10

Ok guys. Read & Lead is nice, but don't emphasis it too much. Thre is quite a bit to like about Fever 2k4 even if you don't play R&L style.

I agree that 2004 is much better than 2003.

Is this an A+ title? I don't know. Gameplaywise I can see how some might think it is.

For me, the game still doesn't feel as tight as NCAA 2003 (yes, las years version).

Yes. This game looks better (overall) than any other XBox football title.

Yes. The game defensive AI now reacts more realistically to cut down on the "big" play.

Yes. Read & Lead is a nice addition (I'm playing TRIGGER myself)

Yes. The ACTION cam is the best view ever for a football game.

Yes. This is NOW a title worth $50.

Yes. XSN is going to be sweeter than anything EA has ready.

That said, there are still some things that could turn people off.

1) While the player models are more varid than previous years, the characature player models (appear to be hand drawn) do not appeal to everyone and will continue to turn off some.

2) Compared to Madden & ESPN, the offline league/dynasty/team experience is no where as realistic. No team specific plays, no realistic stats unless you play 5 minute quarters (CPU stats)...

3) Because so much is happening on the screen during actual gameplay, there is some slowdown for some of the animations. Example. A couple of times a DB will grab my receiver and use his body momentum to swing around him and bring him down. That "swing animation" isn't as smooth as simply running straight or dropping back for a pass. If you've played other football titles you'll notice how much smoother transitions appear to be on EA & Sega titles.

NOTE:I'm cutting MS a lot of slack because I know Fever is a much younger franchise.

So, IMHO Fever is a good game. If this was the product that was released in 2002 then it would have "deserved" an A+ rating.

To me, the FEVER franchise has finally reached the same area of development that NBA Inside Drive 2002 reached almost 2 years ago.

Microsoft looks like they've really concentrated on the gameplay and will use this version as the building block for a much deeper football title for years to come.

My rating?

88%, with a very high "FUN" aspect lean. If I were to rate the SIM side of it higher, I'd probably give the title a 79%.

Old 08-28-2003, 02:02 PM   #40
MVP

Klocker's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:

XBox_Roughneck said:
.....My rating?

88%, with a very high "FUN" aspect lean. If I were to rate the SIM side of it higher, I'd probably give the title a 79%.

[/b]

Great assessment.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »