Home

Impressions

This is a discussion on Impressions within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-29-2003, 04:05 AM   #57
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Impressions

Quote:

JRod said:
I've played every NFL 2k since the DC and I hope they've finally polished that game up.

If I were to compare Fever with 2k3, then I would say both are about the same in terms of gameplay. Fever has it's problems and 2k3 had it's own. But neither were in a word "sim" like.

Now ESPN is a different bag of beans and one that I hope is great. Who knows...

to me fever is still to clunky. Madden, and I hate to use this word feels organic in the since that the animations don't get in the way of the gameplay too much. Here the animations are just slightly in the way of gameplay. And to make it a more enjoyable experience don't have that slight delay before something happens. NFL 2k3/ESPN goes overboard in this regard because they allow their playes to turn even in mid-stride. The word I'm looking for is laborious. And what the end result is, the user is ever so slightly disconnected from the gameplay.

While I agree with you to a large extent, I think you are turning a blind eye in resolving Madden of the same crimes. I think it's as bad if not worse than the other 2 games in terms of animations getting the way of gameplay. Tell me how do you feel in Madden when run into the back of one of your teammates. Tell me how you feel when you get nudged by a lineman when you are on defense. Have you heard the term "ping pong" being thrown about this year when talking about Madden? Hey, I'm not trying to criticize Madden, but you are coming down on Fever (and any other game outside of Madden) holding it up to another game that's just as "clunky" as you put it.

I have my own issues with Fever so far, but come on. This is a reach.
Old 08-29-2003, 07:32 AM   #58
MVP

OVR: 17

Quote:

Boilerbuzz said:
Quote:

JRod said:
I've played every NFL 2k since the DC and I hope they've finally polished that game up.

If I were to compare Fever with 2k3, then I would say both are about the same in terms of gameplay. Fever has it's problems and 2k3 had it's own. But neither were in a word "sim" like.

Now ESPN is a different bag of beans and one that I hope is great. Who knows...

to me fever is still to clunky. Madden, and I hate to use this word feels organic in the since that the animations don't get in the way of the gameplay too much. Here the animations are just slightly in the way of gameplay. And to make it a more enjoyable experience don't have that slight delay before something happens. NFL 2k3/ESPN goes overboard in this regard because they allow their playes to turn even in mid-stride. The word I'm looking for is laborious. And what the end result is, the user is ever so slightly disconnected from the gameplay.

While I agree with you to a large extent, I think you are turning a blind eye in resolving Madden of the same crimes. I think it's as bad if not worse than the other 2 games in terms of animations getting the way of gameplay. Tell me how do you feel in Madden when run into the back of one of your teammates. Tell me how you feel when you get nudged by a lineman when you are on defense. Have you heard the term "ping pong" being thrown about this year when talking about Madden? Hey, I'm not trying to criticize Madden, but you are coming down on Fever (and any other game outside of Madden) holding it up to another game that's just as "clunky" as you put it.

I have my own issues with Fever so far, but come on. This is a reach.

Actually, I've been a Fever fan since the first release. I do like madden's animatinos to a degree. To me, and this is just my opinion, they feel good. The animations don't, MOST OF THE TIME get in the way of gameplay.

Yet it Fever it seems a bit silly that certain animations, like the bo-legged running turn it still there. I mean when the DB can't make the play because he's stuck in this that'a a bit laborious.
Old 08-29-2003, 08:12 AM   #59
MVP

OVR: 21

Is it me or does anyone who played The original NFL Fever on the PC agree that the original game played alot better than any of the console versions ? The players in the PC version as I remember moved better and were easier to control.

As it stands without going into a indepth review. Once ESPN football comes out I more than likely will not be playing Fever anymore. Its improved in some areas but still far behind EA and Sega's game. I remember when MS first annonuced Fever for the X-box I really thought they were gonna do a great job with all the resources and money they have. So far each year they have come up way short. On the other hand, Inside Drive is the best basketball game on the planet.
Old 08-29-2003, 09:50 AM   #60
fpe
Rookie

OVR: 2

I totally agree with you Tomb..
Old 08-29-2003, 10:26 AM   #61
MVP

XBox_Roughneck's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:

TombSong said:
Is it me or does anyone who played The original NFL Fever on the PC agree that the original game played alot better than any of the console versions ? The players in the PC version as I remember moved better and were easier to control.

As it stands without going into a indepth review. Once ESPN football comes out I more than likely will not be playing Fever anymore. Its improved in some areas but still far behind EA and Sega's game. I remember when MS first annonuced Fever for the X-box I really thought they were gonna do a great job with all the resources and money they have. So far each year they have come up way short. On the other hand, Inside Drive is the best basketball game on the planet.

I'm close to feeling the same way.

I like Fever. I do.

But I want a little more "realism" thrown in with my fun when I'm playing single player.

Fever is a very fun game of video football that can be very tactical at times.

I think ESPN will be fun, tactical and STRATEGIC.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2003, 11:46 AM   #62
Pro

OVR: 7

If only MS would get VC making their 1st party game like High Heat will be with Inside Pitch. Can you imagine EspnNfl and EspnNHL on XBOX only on XSN exclusively.
Old 08-29-2003, 11:48 AM   #63
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:

TombSong said:

As it stands without going into a indepth review. Once ESPN football comes out I more than likely will not be playing Fever anymore. Its improved in some areas but still far behind EA and Sega's game.

It's not you. But like I said, it's still improving.
Old 08-29-2003, 12:12 PM   #64
MVP

OVR: 10

And the game will continue to improve now that Ric Neil has stabilized the team. It doesn't have the polish of the two other games but it has some key innovative features the other two don't that keep it somewhat in the title hunt. Competition is always good, helps keep you on your toes.

And yea, I'll probably get ESPN.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »