Home

2k Football to make a return

This is a discussion on 2k Football to make a return within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-27-2011, 01:48 AM   #25
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedSpot
According to the terms EA has with the NFL, any game that can be manipulated to resemble the NFL accurately goes under copyright infringement. Not sure if that's true, but it sure is BS if true.

That's not to say I don't hope, wish and pray for the day a game like this does come along. All we need is one solid PC game with a great physics engine and leave the rest up to modders.
Has nothing to do with EA but rather the NFL and it's right to protect it's intellectual property.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2011, 05:24 AM   #26
MVP

OVR: 23
Re: 2k Football to make a return

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagopax
The failure that was APF says otherwise.

Alternatives would be nice but I don't know if 2K is the answer.

505 needs to drop the gimmicky gameplay of back breaker and get their stuff together they may be able to jump into the NFL game design again.

2K Sports getting a license won't magically be great, everything would generally have to be built from the ground up. It's pointless for them to sit on any sort of football engine or to have created one for the next generation especially considering the licenses haven't been available. I guess they do have the APF engine but like I said that game was messed up from the ground up.
Just because a game didn't sell well doesn't mean that game wasn't good... If you call APF a "failure" you've obviously been brainwashed by EA into think "what" football is...

APF represents the true fundamentals of football way more than madden ever has... I'm not going to get into it, but, to say a game was a failure simply because it didn't sell well is wrong imo...

Funny how there are still plenty of APF Leagues out there on the PS3... Think about that, a game that's 4 years old still has online leagues going strong... Some in their 50th Seasons...

psn - CeeGee
Old 08-29-2011, 12:57 AM   #27
Pro

droopizzle34's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagopax
Too bad they really couldn't get football down besides NFL 2K5 which had its own several issues.
wow at this quote.....woooow!
Old 08-29-2011, 01:04 AM   #28
Haterade Drinker

untrugby's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedSpot
According to the terms EA has with the NFL, any game that can be manipulated to resemble the NFL accurately goes under copyright infringement. Not sure if that's true, but it sure is BS if true.
cant you make the nfl teams on backbreaker?
Old 08-29-2011, 02:28 AM   #29
MVP

mestevo's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by untrugby
cant you make the nfl teams on backbreaker?
Yes, but that title poses no threat to devaluing the NFL's intellectual property, have to think that's the only reason they haven't doled out cease and desists.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:14 AM   #30
Haterade Drinker

untrugby's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
Yes, but that title poses no threat to devaluing the NFL's intellectual property, have to think that's the only reason they haven't doled out cease and desists.
it doesnt matter how small the game sales are if the NFL doesnt protect it rights it sets a dangerous precedent for them going forward if a more popular title is made. If the NFL could have shut this down they would have.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:34 AM   #31
MVP

mestevo's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by untrugby
it doesnt matter how small the game sales are if the NFL doesnt protect it rights it sets a dangerous precedent for them going forward if a more popular title is made. If the NFL could have shut this down they would have.
I agree, but I don't think a reputable company is going to make a game that so clearly violates the IP of the NFL and is one of the reasons IMO BB got cute with their modes rather than sticking to more traditional franchise aside from their inexperience with the game making that a difficult task.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2011, 12:32 PM   #32
Haterade Drinker

untrugby's Arena

BB being cute with their models was probably because they were easier to design with their psychics system. Just making a fully customize-able cant be a violation of the NFLs IP. You would have to show that most of the users were using NFL rosters/uniforms and that the game/company was facilitating the rosters. ie something like roster sharing though the game interface. If they made the rosters encrypted or profile specific and didnt provide any type of roster sharing they could move all the liability to the individual user.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »