Home

Gamers Who Refuse to Play Madden Embrace Older Games

This is a discussion on Gamers Who Refuse to Play Madden Embrace Older Games within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-31-2011, 11:00 AM   #17
Pro

OVR: 2
I'm not sure that it's an exclusive NFL license that drives people to be negative about the Madden series or competition for that matter. That may be the reason stated, but I think when you really look at the Madden/NCAA series the real reason they're becoming more of a turn off each year than a turn on is that some of us who have played the series since the beginning are no longer young wide eyed 7 year olds that gets anxious and excited at the mere idea of "Madden". Quite frankly, I don't care to see super linebackers now for what, the 10th year now? Those are just a few, but they're the little things that can go a long ways.

I bought every Madden up until '10. I bought every NCAA up until this year. Reason being is that I don't necessarily think they are horrible games, I loved playing them - But I just didn't love them as much as I had in the past. The same problems still exist, the easy improvements that can make all the difference are looked over, and anything brought in new to improve a mode is done so half assed that it actually pisses you off at the indirect disrespect.

While other sports games and even other franchises within EA are improving; these games have been and are becoming more stagnant. I'm up in the air right now whether or not to purchase the new Madden. Part of me is happy I didn't fall for NCAA's blunder this year (bugs more so) and that runs into Madden as well from some of the comments I've been reading in trying to decide. Overall, the comments haven't been too too negative, in fact it sounds like a decent game which every Madden I've played has been at least decent. However, there comes a time where you feel as a long time customer that it shouldn't just be decent. This is the next gen, yet from the comments and blunders on commentary they're only a few steps ahead of Joe Montana football which was on a 16Bit machine. Read that last sentence : 16BIT MACHINES are a few steps behind what is being presented now in 2011.

And I guess that's what I'm getting at : We're not looking for some new technology that absolutely blows us away (although it would be nice). We're looking for improvements in things that show us that the developers, that the company we built these past 23 years, are who we thought they were. They're no longer the same guys that improve - They're guys that let outright, in your face bugs, glitches, and half assed efforts out. Again, I reiterate that I've enjoyed Madden's and NCAA's since the beginning - They still aren't THAT BAD of games, but to use another expression C'MON MANNN. Enough's enough and while I've never been near the level of some of the "haters"; I feel like I'm in the same group age wise and purchasing history wise that come off as "Madden Haters" ... At the end of the day I don't think they really HATE Madden; instead the expectation of a certain level of quality and fixes are higher than what's being created given that we've been 20+ years consumers. Not buying NCAA was a HUGE challenge for me, and a huge challenge for me but I filled the gap by playing FiFA non stop; In a wierd sense I feel disrespected by the NCAA and Madden teams, like I'm being thrown aside and not heard and replaced by the young wide eyed 7 year olds that DON'T get it. The guys with the gripes haven't changed in expectations, but the products being released have.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:44 AM   #18
MVP

OVR: 28
2K5, for me, is best remembered for its presentation package. The highlights, commentary and The Crib. Gameplay wise it got boring blowing teams out.

Madden 12 is fun as ever. I have been gaming for 30+ years and I am not one to disect each game by reviewing replays 1,000 times to find flaws.

To each their own but I am having fun with Madden for the first time in years.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:22 PM   #19
Rookie

Bull_Dozer's Arena

OVR: 5
I still play Tecmo Super Bowl. I'm actually developing a "franchise mode" to be used with a modified TSB rom. I don't know if I'll buy Madden 12, it's not likely. The reviews are not impressing me. Things like player run outs at the start of the game seem like such a pointless feature to add when the core fundamental football gameplay needs a lot of work still.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:21 PM   #20
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: Gamers who refuse to play Madden embrace older games

Quote:
Originally Posted by dophin26
Interesting article, but I feel like I wasted 20 minutes of my free time being interviewed for nothing. I recognize most of the names in that article and some of them aren't really even active in the online community anymore (not just OS). Sour grapes. I guess I won't be telling my friends and family to look it up.
Yeah haha, I was talking with the guy for about thirty minutes, only to not be quoted. It's okay, maybe my points weren't relevant with his story. You don't just take two people, weave what they said around how you're going to piece it (or vice versa), and call it a day. You have to get a bunch of opinions in, and play "pick and choose."

I unfortunately won't be spreading this article, either.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 08-31-2011, 05:18 PM   #21
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42
My "story" is that EA keeps dumping more polish and presentation on while the gameplay engine remains painfully flawed.

Older games used to be about how the game played from whistle to whistle. Now it's all about bright lights and the "experience".

Back in my day...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-31-2011, 09:45 PM   #22
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36
Re: Gamers Who Refuse to Play Madden Embrace Older Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmik58
My "story" is that EA keeps dumping more polish and presentation on while the gameplay engine remains painfully flawed.

Older games used to be about how the game played from whistle to whistle. Now it's all about bright lights and the "experience".

Back in my day...
That's me. As I mentioned in the Madden forums, I bought the early download, tried to like it, but now have no interest in buying the full game.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:15 PM   #23
Rookie

if im buying an easports game this yr its gonna be NHL12
Old 08-31-2011, 10:18 PM   #24
Rookie

i dont mean to bash easports but 2ksports knows NBALIVE has no chance yet every yr they find a way to better their product exponentially every yr... not just dink and dunk here and there

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »