Home

Does anyone play Second and Ten?

This is a discussion on Does anyone play Second and Ten? within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-16-2014, 01:58 PM   #25
All Star

Aggies7's Arena

OVR: 39
Does anyone play Second and Ten?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
They are ridiculously generous with their pricing and freebies to previous purchasers (Version X is free to anyone who purchased a full-priced version of V9 after 1st February 2012). For $50 you get every NFL and AFL team dating back to 1957, and 100 past college teams including 40 squads from the 1950's. For $10 more you get all teams from the 2012 college season.

The newest version (X or 10) has a better interface, and more playcalling options for the blitz defenses.

The new "Blitz Defense Interface" includes a choice between "Tight" or "Standard" coverage (one must be picked) and a further "Extra DB" amplifier. The new blitz dynamic is reflected extensively on the "Red-Green" Advantage Chart" under the headers "Standard", "Tight", "Standard And Hurry", and "Tight And Hurry". Of course the three base blitz calls are "Blitz LB", "Blitz DB" and Blitz All".

The new version is well worth the price.

So with this game you can play both college and pro.

If so does that mean I can control a college team and pro team throughout each season? Or is there no franchise type mode like that.

If so this is a must buy, but I have a feeling I read that wrong.

Colorado Avalanche
Colorado Rockies

Last edited by Aggies7; 06-16-2014 at 02:00 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-18-2014, 05:35 PM   #26
Pro

EddieH28's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Does anyone play Second and Ten?

Yes, you can control a college or pro team through an entire season.
It really is a fantastic game.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:04 PM   #27
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggies7
So with this game you can play both college and pro.

If so does that mean I can control a college team and pro team throughout each season? Or is there no franchise type mode like that.

If so this is a must buy, but I have a feeling I read that wrong.
They don't really have a dedicated franchise mode, but there is a workaround involving the Encyclopedia and "rolling a season" over but I'm not sure how to do it. Playing a single season is no problem at all.
Old 11-28-2015, 04:47 PM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 4

Just started playing and I am totally hooked. I have played every football sim ever made for PC and SAT is really really good.

Is is not a career mode a combination of SAT gameplay with FOF career play would be just about perfect.

But the options in replay are almost endless

A couple things I have tried and enjoyed

Simple replay of 1970 season with Miami Dolphins

A drafted seasons (this is one of the coolest things ever) in he draft season you select the years and teams you want to comprise the draft pool. But the best part is you can select only draft once for individual players. So for example if you pick all of the 70s you can draft any individual season of Terry Bradshaw and then all of he Bradshaw seasons are gone. I found this a lot of fun. I chose an interesting combination of 70s and 80s seasons and end up with a very fun roster featuring Walter Peyton 77, Dick Butkus 68 and Mean Joe Green 79 (and I am a Niners fan!)

The option I have not yet tried but am most looking forward to is "rolling" over a season. As I understand it at the end of one season you roll to the next season. If a player retires IRL he will retire in the game. Non retired players stay on the same team (for example I had traded for Lance Alworth so he stays on the Dolphins) rookies (or any new players) are added in and dispersed via a supplemental draft. Also players are updated to reflect their current year. So a guy who falls off considerable, should fall off when the season rolls. Guys that blossom should blossom. This mode intrigues me because I think it will make for a fun historical/career hybrid. I will miss all of the front office dealings of an FOF or even Madden career. But as something new different and quick it has the potential to have a lot of fun. I will report back once I actually get a chance to roll a season.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:34 PM   #29
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

^^^^^^

I'm fortunate to have regular "in person" games with my brother and a long time friend. I haven't even played against the computer with Version 10, so I don't know if the AI has improved from Version 9, which I didn't think was great.

As I've said before as a two player game the play calling is so intuitive it lends itself to some great game flow, and I like the way the engine of the game is "opened up".

I see you play this a little different. A lot of owners of SAT do the replay thing...never interested me.
Old 12-24-2015, 02:54 PM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 0

my son just bought this game for me for christmas and i must say over the two days i have played, it has been some of the most satisfying gaming i have had in a long time.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:38 PM   #31
MVP

OVR: 4

How does the game engine work? Is it open so you can see how the outcomes are determined? Are there visible dice rolls?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-29-2016, 01:21 AM   #32
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeercy
How does the game engine work? Is it open so you can see how the outcomes are determined? Are there visible dice rolls?
The game engine is 100% open (you can turn the open factor OFF if you want) , including the applicable table (Scramble Yardage Table, Pass completion Yardage Table) that can be called up after the play. As long as you know what the numbers mean you will absolutely know how the outcome is determined. It doesn't only explain the outcome, but also details other factors in the game that might not have even occurred (QB hurry, sack and INT probabilities for example).

No dice graphic, but it's virtually a one hundred sided dice, with the lower numbers helping the offense and the higher numbers helping the defense. On pass plays the first roll+ PLAY CALLS determines a completion, incompletion, sack, hurry or INT. If the pass is completed the second roll+ PLAY CALLS will determine the yards after the catch.

This is just a snapshot of the game. Highly recommended.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »