Home

Why doesnt 2k make a game again??

This is a discussion on Why doesnt 2k make a game again?? within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-12-2012, 08:32 PM   #17
The Hard Way

K0ZZ's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: Why doesnt 2k make a game again??

APF 2K8 wasn't good, so reusing that wouldn't help much.

Like others said, I wouldn't expect anything this generation, with the new generation on the horizon thats a lot of capital to put down just to have the design end of things be rendered essentially useless.

I'd love to see a good competitor to get Tiburon to actually get off their *** and make their first good football game of this generation. It's killing me to be a football fan and not get a game that I could play year round like I could last generation (Madden/NCAA).

It doesn't make sense from a business standpoint, so it won't happen, the losses outweigh the gains by a large margin especially this late into the generation, unless they could find a way to recycle things, it wouldn't be profitable. Basketball players move completely different than football players, especially after factoring in the different builds and the 30-60 lbs of equipment (the latter number being an extreme stretch) that they have on.

There won't be another legitimate football competitor this generation, I'd almost be willing to bet on it.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:33 PM   #18
All Star

SuperBowlNachos's Arena

OVR: 21

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_development_kit
Old 04-12-2012, 08:58 PM   #19
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagopax
APF 2K8 wasn't good, so reusing that wouldn't help much.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 04-12-2012, 09:25 PM   #20
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30

I've often wondered this myself. If I were President at 2K Sports, development for this game would've happened last year.

College Football is the 2nd biggest sport in America. It's more popular than both the MLB and NBA and FAR, FAR, FAR more popular than Tennis, Boxing, or MMA which 2K has recently put out games for.

And while they might have lost some of the people behind APF2K8, which, IMO, was the best playing football game ever made up to this point, they have the technology and talent in there studio. They can borrow tech from NBA/MLB 2K12 such as the commentary system, crowd noise, online infrastructure, etc. It would take work, but to me making the actual playing football game would be the easiest part. The art department would have by far the most difficult task, rendering 120+ stadiums, uniforms, mascots, cheerleaders, etc.

I think the licensing fees are by far the biggest hurdle.
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa
Old 04-12-2012, 09:35 PM   #21
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
I've often wondered this myself. If I were President at 2K Sports, development for this game would've happened last year.

College Football is the 2nd biggest sport in America. It's more popular than both the MLB and NBA and FAR, FAR, FAR more popular than Tennis, Boxing, or MMA which 2K has recently put out games for.

And while they might have lost some of the people behind APF2K8, which, IMO, was the best playing football game ever made up to this point, they have the technology and talent in there studio. They can borrow tech from NBA/MLB 2K12 such as the commentary system, crowd noise, online infrastructure, etc. It would take work, but to me making the actual playing football game would be the easiest part. The art department would have by far the most difficult task, rendering 120+ stadiums, uniforms, mascots, cheerleaders, etc.

I think the licensing fees are by far the biggest hurdle.
Agree with all of this but you answered your own question with the last line. If they believed they could get licensing at some point in the future, I believe they would have began development. But at this point, they would be starting development on spec hoping to get a license which may never come. The risk far outweighs the potential gain.

Additionally, the art department wouldn't even be able to begin work without a license. They couldn't use logos, mascots, fight songs, uniforms, stadiums or even team names without a license. They wouldn't even be able to start without it.

I don't think we'll get a 2K college football game at any point in the next 5 years. Just don't see any way it makes sense. Even IF they could get licensing, I just don't see a way 2K could turn a profit on that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2012, 10:26 PM   #22
The Designated Hitter

BA2929's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORN4CORN
The question should be "why doesn't EA make a good NCAA game again??"
I disagree with this. I've been playing NCAA since the 90s and last years game was far from terrible. I'd actually say it was "good". I finished 9 years of Dynasty and I hadn't done that since last gen. Sure, it wasn't perfect, but it was far from bad. 2009, if my years are correct, was bad. 2012 was good, imo. Or at least slightly above average, which technically is what good means.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:41 PM   #23
Banned

OVR: 3

How about 2k just isn't any good... The blind obsession with that brand on this board is nauseating. A few releases of 2k games and all you same people will be in here with your "shorts socks?" and "Seriously 2k?" and countless other whiney threads. Ncaa 13 hasn't shown anything and yall are already slamming it.

Can we close this thread please?
Old 04-13-2012, 12:40 AM   #24
Banned

OVR: 31

If 2K would put the same amount of effort into a college football game as they do with their NBA game. They would make a killer NCAA game.

Don't you think a NCAA football game would out sell NBA 2K? Maybe not this year because EA didnt come out with a NBA game, but i think they will next year.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »