Home

Message Boards...

This is a discussion on Message Boards... within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-21-2012, 11:36 AM   #1
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22
Message Boards...

Don't know if this is the right place for it but do you feel like message boards have ruined and at least negatively impacted gaming?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2012, 12:33 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 7
Re: Message Boards...

For me they have definitely negatively impacted gaming. I have to force myself not to look at message boards at least until I have personally played the game a fair amount first. Often times (and I know this is silly), something I see on a message board will greatly take away from the game for me, and it may be something that I wouldn't have noticed on my own.

On the other hand, I think message boards positively add to the game as well. User-created rosters are often 1000000x greater than the stock roster shipped with the game, and classic rosters can add years of lasting value to a game. And the work that guys like Playmakers, Tomba, Czar and many others do can often make someone enjoy a game when they would otherwise hate it.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:00 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt23134
Often times (and I know this is silly), something I see on a message board will greatly take away from the game for me, and it may be something that I wouldn't have noticed on my own.
This!

That's a VERY big one for me!
Old 09-08-2012, 05:03 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

I have very mixed feelings about message boards. My main gripe with them is they're a breeding ground for negativity, myopic irrationality, and uncivil discourse. While within the context of video games, for example, some do provide positives in that developers do look at some of them and take note of the main gripes and (hopefully) make adjustments. But it's pretty easy to see why Ian Cummings no longer posts here. He was absolutely bombarded with rudeness, irrationality, and negativity when he tried. Some people did try to develop an honest and respectful dialogue with him but were drowned out by waves of the other types of posters who, unfortunately, always seem to be the loudest and most persistent.

I stay well away from the Madden/NCAA forums here until after i've had the games a few weeks and explored them for myself, aside from scanning info-only threads that discuss upcoming features to be aware of. And the reason I stay away is because of the waves of irrational complainers who IMO not only ruin it for themselves but for others as well. If you have an axe to grind and you go into something expecting (or wanting) to dislike it.......you will. Without even realizing it you've already corrupted your objectivity and rationality.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:42 PM   #5
All Star

inkcil's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan
Don't know if this is the right place for it but do you feel like message boards have ruined and at least negatively impacted gaming?
Not at all. When the games are great, the message boards for the game are a lot of fun. When the game sucks or is iffy or full of bugs/glitches and other negatives, then the discussion will be about those negatives.

No matter how much people say "forget about 2k football" I still enjoy playing it and talking about it. No matter how much people say "Madden sucks" I still can have fun with it and enjoy talking about it.

The problem is on the games, not the boards. Check out the threads on high-quality AAA titles and there is a difference in the discussion.

Now Playing:

XB1 (Forza Motorsport 6 and Horizon 2)
Switch (Mario Kart and Zelda)
PS3 (old 2k games and the Show)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2012, 12:09 AM   #6
MVP

Jet Sufferer's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan
Not in the least, I don't care if someone hates a game I love, I couldn't care less.

Why some folks are defensive and emotional and actually have someone ELSE'S opinion about a game ruin their fun is beyond my comprehension.

The internet and message boards give the consumer a voice, a much larger voice than the consumer has ever had.

There's an old expression that word of mouth is the best advertising, and word of mouth spreads a LOT faster now, it's up to the consumer how to discern all available information. Also, developers get instant and voluminous feedback, it's up to them what to with that feedback as well.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:51 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Sufferer
Not in the least, I don't care if someone hates a game I love, I couldn't care less.

Why some folks are defensive and emotional and actually have someone ELSE'S opinion about a game ruin their fun is beyond my comprehension.

The internet and message boards give the consumer a voice, a much larger voice than the consumer has ever had.

There's an old expression that word of mouth is the best advertising, and word of mouth spreads a LOT faster now, it's up to the consumer how to discern all available information. Also, developers get instant and voluminous feedback, it's up to them what to with that feedback as well.
This post right here is the voice of reason of a mature, grown up human being. It was refreshing to read how incredibly correct this post was on every point.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:03 PM   #8
MVP

Jet Sufferer's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdevil20
This post right here is the voice of reason of a mature, grown up human being. It was refreshing to read how incredibly correct this post was on every point.
You don't have to flatter me after you thrashed me 31-7 last night

My Jets did have 8 drops though, I need to get sharper against human competition, I'll get better.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »