Home

Kickstarter for New College Football Game

This is a discussion on Kickstarter for New College Football Game within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-03-2013, 12:48 PM   #41
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: Kickstarter for New College Football Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBass
And you know this because...

Another brilliant post at Operation Sports.
Relax man. No need to attack anyone for their opinion.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-03-2013, 12:51 PM   #42
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46

The thing I don't like about this company - is it even a company? Is that they are making an effort to bash EA. That's just not good business. No matter if what they say is true or not.

If they want to carve out a niche in this industry, they need to realize slamming other companies as part of their marketing strategy isn't the way to go.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:28 PM   #43
Rookie

Neverwhere's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVarck31
The thing I don't like about this company - is it even a company? Is that they are making an effort to bash EA. That's just not good business. No matter if what they say is true or not.

If they want to carve out a niche in this industry, they need to realize slamming other companies as part of their marketing strategy isn't the way to go.
The thing to not like about this company is the EXTREMELY short development cycle for a title that is supposed to compete with NCAA Football from EA. They have a completely unrealistic goal as to how much they have (had?) to complete before releasing a game. From what I saw they had a few animations in Maya/3DS and some high talk. This isn't taking into account the myriad of assets that are required (and we're just talking the very basic assets here: one home/away per team and their stadium). If you add in the flair options everyone here seems to like (socks, face masks, different shoulder lengths for jerseys, face shields, gloves, shoes, up-to-date uniforms for all teams including past/present/future uniform sets, stadium updates, high-definition stadiums [we're talking 3D scanner models and not photo-based geometry], etc) then we're talking even more assets to create. Assets are expensive and to pump them out quickly, which they would need given their super tight development schedule, would require a very large art department budget. We're talking almost prohibitively large if their entire operating budget is $1M.

To top that off they'll need to have realistic physics with an engine tuned enough to compete with Infinity 2.0 (and Ignite on next-gen) which requires an insane amount of tuning and QA testing alone. Want a realistic HC/OC/DC experience? Yet more $$$ is required to throw at developers. And you'll want some good developers if you're expecting to pump this out in a year, which will cost you a boatload again.

This is just a very short list of things they'll have to hurdle across to get the game out the door this year, in addition to marketing and management. Quite the daunting task given their extremely limited budget they were shooting for.

TL;DR - Shooting for the moon on your first go is a bad strategy in Hearts let alone in gaming.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:22 PM   #44
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverwhere
The thing to not like about this company is the EXTREMELY short development cycle for a title that is supposed to compete with NCAA Football from EA. They have a completely unrealistic goal as to how much they have (had?) to complete before releasing a game.
The project has already been in development for 3 years according to the Kickstarter video.

As for their funding goal of $1 million, most companies who do Kickstarters only ask for a partial amount of what is actually needed to cover their development expenses.

Obviously, it would cost them much more than that to put out a Xbox 360/PS3 game with full NCCA licensing, as they are looking to do.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:17 PM   #45
Banned

ghettogeeksta's Arena

OVR: 12

The forums are open on their website and Josh is asking for ideas if anyone wants to post what you want to see in the game. Looks like they are going forward even without the Kickstarter money.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-14-2013, 08:06 PM   #46
Banned

ghettogeeksta's Arena

OVR: 12

Wonder what these guys are up to now, wonder if their has been a change of plans since finding out EA will not make a college football game next year? They seem to have disappeared off the map, wonder if they are up to something bigger and better now.

Last edited by ghettogeeksta; 10-14-2013 at 08:09 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:42 PM   #47
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Over 1000 spam posts in their forum... vaporware is probably too kind a description.

Sent from my VZW Note 3
Old 10-18-2013, 03:31 PM   #48
MVP

KillRoy's Arena

OVR: 10

Honestly, all the features they mentioned aren't going to get people to play this game. Seriously, first person view, really?? That right there makes me think they don't know enough about it. To even mention FP view as an option is bad.

Some of the stuff I do like was the no suction tackles and no superman interceptions. I've seen enough of this in Madden to make my head spin. The animation example they showed is nice but does anyone really care about the way a player looks when they're catching the ball? Maybe some diehard graphics whores do but the average player doesn't care about those things.

I remember when Natural Motion was doing the same type of thing when they were marketing BackBreaker. Doing this sort of thing just doesn't translate into sells.

I think most of these game companies go in the wrong direction when making a football game. Graphics are important but gameplay and features are far more crucial. Especially now that EA owns the NFL license. If you want to make a football game, it has to destroy Madden's gameplay in every possible way, it can't be just "better" it has to to be WAY WAY better, otherwise, it's not going to sell.

And they've been working on this project for 3 years and they can't show any gameplay footage? Wow... okay.

Last edited by KillRoy; 10-18-2013 at 03:35 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »