Home

NFL Street is so stupid...and it's so much fun!!!

This is a discussion on NFL Street is so stupid...and it's so much fun!!! within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-21-2004, 04:10 PM   #1
BTG
Banned

BTG's Arena

OVR: 5
NFL Street is so stupid...and it\'s so much fun!!!

Ok, so I'm not a big fan of these "Ghetto-fied" games like NBA Street, NBA Jam, NFL Blitz, etc... Any game in which a character uses the phrase "What's up playa?" usually gets a thumbs down from me. There's nothing wrong with that sort of thing, it's just not my style. Hell, I'm not really even a big video game fan but when I do play I enjoy games like NCAA Football and Medal of Honor. You know...realistic games (Don't you tell me I couldn't be the starting quarterback for Ohio State and fighting the Japanese in WWII an hour later!). That being said, NFL Street is a great game with tremedous entertainment value.

Oh sure, it's repetitive, stupid, and so over the top it makes Al Pacino's performance in "The Devil's Advocate" seem mild; however,if you look beyond that, if you just delve a bit deeper you begin to realize one thing: this game is fun...it's enjoyable...it's something you can do for two hours without getting bored. Basically it's the exact opposite of any Vin Diesel movie. Hell, NFL Street OWNS Vin Diesel. Vin only wishes he was a beloved as NFL Street.

Let's move on.

First, let's talk about the game: It's seven on seven football with all seven players competing on both sides of the ball. If you're a St. Louis Rams fan, that means you'll be counting on Kurt Warner to make some tackles for you. Now I know Kurt's a religious guy, but not even God can help him chase down Clinton Portis. This is one of the keys of the game, you must pick your team wisely if you want to win.

You play on a variety of different playing fields including: a rooftop, a warehouse, and the beach. Each field has its own style and you have to tailor your game to fit the field.

Now let's discuss the different modes of game play.

1. Pickup Game: In this mode, a group of 40 current players (and several former stars once they're unlocked) are placed in a pool. You then pick sides like a backyard football game. The player who picks second gets the ball first. You make pick after pick until you have your team of seven players. The beauty of this is you never really know who you're going to have to pick from. One time the available quarterbacks might be Peyton Manning and Mike Vick. Then next time it could be Quincy Carter and Jon Kitna, you never know.

2. Quick Game: Pick any team in the game, most teams have anywhere from 10-12 players to choose from. (I recommend the Bengals...WHO_DEY baby!)

3. Online: This is a blast. You get to go online and play people all over the country. On most online games, players can cheat and you end up pissed off because you played fair and lost to someone with his defensive back in at quarterback. Well, in NFL Street, there is no cheating. You can go online and tackle receivers before they get the ball all day long. Hit the quarterback late, throw the running back into a wall, put Marshall Faulk in at quarterback. Hell people, go nuts! Just have fun with it.

4. NFL Challenge: This is the meat and potatoes of the game. In this mode, you create a team and have the option of either creating your own players or having the CPU randomly generate a team of generic players for you. Either way, your team starts off weak. It's up to you to make them better. You do this in the "Challenge Mode." Through a series of challenges, you can win more attribute points to increase your players ratings or you can play a team and take one of their players from them. The harder the challenge, the more points you get. The more points you get, the better your teams becomes. Once you've made your team competitive, you're ready for "Ladder Mode." In this, you begin with two divisions unlocked (AFC and NFC West). In order to unlock the rest of the teams, you must defeat each team from one of the two unlocked divisions. Each time you successfully beat an entire division, a new division is unlocked for you to compete against (you get to pick which one).

If you're looking for a game to kill some time on a rainy Saturday afternoon, this is the game for you. It's fun by yourself but it's even better with friends. Don't have any friends? Play on the internet instead! There are so many things you can do with this game. Like I said before, it's a bit crazy, but it's boatloads of fun.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-21-2004, 04:59 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36
Re: NFL Street is so stupid...and it\'s so much fun!!!

I've been playing pickup against the CPU, without gamebreakers and am having a blast. In a few days I'll probably have to graduate to DIFFICULT level. I would appreciate the strategy of the game all the more if I could play a human opponent.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:30 PM   #3
GSW
Simnation

GSW's Arena

OVR: 40

i must be extremely horrible at thsi game, i cannot stop the cpu from scoring all thier players are so much faster then mine they just throw deep, or use a running back and out run everyone. sucks
Old 01-21-2004, 10:31 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

It's tough sometimes. Start experimenting with different plays and different uses of your control man. I like "Kitchen Sink" under the RUN category, taking control of my right corner.
Old 01-22-2004, 10:50 AM   #5
MVP

rheller's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:

i must be extremely horrible at thsi game, i cannot stop the cpu from scoring all thier players are so much faster then mine they just throw deep, or use a running back and out run everyone. sucks

I try to invest most of my dev points on the defense. (Coverage, Tackling, Agility) A couple of times that I did take a player from another team I went with the Ray Lewis and Warren Sapp. They both really helped improve my D. I'm usually the Saftey on D. I usually roam around and use the hard tackle to try and jar the ball loose. The only times that I really have trouble on D now is when they run up the middle against me. Choosing certain plays in certain situations could help you also. Also, I like to put my best coverage guys on the corner. Change up your lineup to see where guys perform better.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-22-2004, 11:23 AM   #6
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

Quote:

rheller said:
Quote:

I try to invest most of my dev points on the defense. (Coverage, Tackling, Agility) A couple of times that I did take a player from another team I went with the Ray Lewis and Warren Sapp. They both really helped improve my D. I'm usually the Saftey on D. I usually roam around and use the hard tackle to try and jar the ball loose. The only times that I really have trouble on D now is when they run up the middle against me. Choosing certain plays in certain situations could help you also. Also, I like to put my best coverage guys on the corner. Change up your lineup to see where guys perform better.

yeah, this game is extremely tough on D when you begin the NFL challenge, but as you get your players more dev points, you'll find that you can actually shut down the D if you play right
Old 01-22-2004, 02:21 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 3

When making your players, do not try to make them balanced, make them excel in catagories for their position. That will kepp you in the early games, once you get more dev points, you can make your ofeensive players more D oriented and vise versa. My DB now is actually my best reciever aswell, my QB can tackle and cover like a DB and run the option better than Vick, my RB slaughters people running and tackling. I still need to develop my WR and DL and OL.
Old 01-23-2004, 02:43 PM   #8
MVP

xylocaine's Arena

OVR: 12

Is there any advantage to increasing Weight and Height of the players? Doesn't seem to affect the attributes.

Thanks

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »