Home

NFL 2k COMEBACK? License not exclusive?

This is a discussion on NFL 2k COMEBACK? License not exclusive? within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-27-2014, 11:15 PM   #41
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: NFL 2k COMEBACK? License not exclusive?

2k showing the NFL "what it can do" would not happen in Public. That would be in a private meeting, not at E3. I seriously doubt 2K can show a game in June and ship in late August.
IF 2k is going to make a licensed football game, it would not be until next year (August 2015). They may show something........at E3, but it wouldn't ship this year.

Then again, this is a Rumor. The NFL would put strict terms on 2k because of the whole NFL 2k5 pricing sneak attack. That is the reason they lost the license in the first place, selling the game at $19.99 and undercutting Madden by $30 at the time. NFL did not like losing that revenue.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-27-2014, 11:18 PM   #42
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

I completely understand skepticism towards this rumor but not so much the implications of Simfball doing this as a publicity stunt. I don't know of anytime that he has done anything of the sort and he has been doing Youtube videos, among other things, like being in the EA Game Changer program, online radio host, etc, for some time now. Not vouching for him personally because I don't know him but just wondering what the basis is, if any, for those implications.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:01 AM   #43
Forever A Legend

24's Arena

OVR: 22

Despite the skepticism we all really want a 2K game to happen. We're just making jokes because we've been speculating a new NFL 2K game for a very long time now. Trust me if it happens my mind will explode from the sheer joy of the announcement. I'm sure many others on this forum share that same sentiment.

Old 05-28-2014, 01:48 AM   #44
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24
Despite the skepticism we all really want a 2K game to happen. We're just making jokes because we've been speculating a new NFL 2K game for a very long time now. Trust me if it happens my mind will explode from the sheer joy of the announcement. I'm sure many others on this forum share that same sentiment.
Oh no doubt and I wasn't referring to the jokes about "sources", etc but to the posts implying there is nothing to this except Youtube hits. I wasn't sure if I had missed something where Simfball had floated a rumor like this in the past, that didn't pan out. I know HipHop Gamer and others had been floating various rumors and conjecture for some time but this was the first I had heard of Simfball weighting in on it in such a way.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:09 AM   #45
Rookie

LastExit's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackyoldman
2k showing the NFL "what it can do" would not happen in Public. That would be in a private meeting, not at E3. I seriously doubt 2K can show a game in June and ship in late August.
IF 2k is going to make a licensed football game, it would not be until next year (August 2015). They may show something........at E3, but it wouldn't ship this year.

Then again, this is a Rumor. The NFL would put strict terms on 2k because of the whole NFL 2k5 pricing sneak attack. That is the reason they lost the license in the first place, selling the game at $19.99 and undercutting Madden by $30 at the time. NFL did not like losing that revenue.
^This.

The idea that 2K would show a trailer to the NFL at E3 is absurd. They would make a formal pitch to the NFL in a board room and show the trailer or whatever else they wanted to show them there.

Nothing would make me happier than to see some competition but until news breaks that 2K has signed a contract with the NFL to design a football game it's all wishful thinking.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-28-2014, 03:20 AM   #46
All Star

inkcil's Arena

OVR: 23

For the next 2 weeks...I'm gonna let my hopes get up. What the heck...why not!

If there is no game then there is no game. Not getting excited about the rumors won't change that.

If there is a game, then my excitement starts early!

1.) EA (nor the NFL) specifies that the license is still exclusive...

2.) Unlike previous rumor cycles, this one seems to be gaining momentum among those in the football gaming community who actually closely follow - and even obsess over - this stuff.

3.) The possibilities brought by a new console generation...after all, I was not expecting to get APF 2k8 on the PS3/360.

4.) The whole "face scan" rumor...

5.) We've waited sooooo long...

Now Playing:

XB1 (Forza Motorsport 6 and Horizon 2)
Switch (Mario Kart and Zelda)
PS3 (old 2k games and the Show)

Last edited by inkcil; 05-28-2014 at 03:49 AM.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:33 AM   #47
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggies7
From what I read back in January somewhere 2K was bringing two games to E3 that had not been in their line up for awhile. Can't find article and honestly didn't really take it as truth at the time. But really hope I was wrong. Not getting my hope up though. Guess we will find out June 10th
It was said during the live investors call that 2K Sports had some new titles in the works to be announced at a later time. What they are is the question, and hopefully answers will come at E3.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:03 AM   #48
Banned

Quote:
2k showing the NFL "what it can do" would not happen in Public. That would be in a private meeting, not at E3.
Normally I would agree. But perhaps 2K would do it this way to elicit public response that would put added pressure on the NFL to do a new/favorable deal, provided that the possibility for one is open. If what they were to show turns out to be something amazing, it would send shockwaves through the internet.

Quote:
I seriously doubt 2K can show a game in June and ship in late August.
I wouldn't expect a game this year either, but the June-August thing actually means nothing. All that matters is how long they've been working on the game prior.

Quote:
All of that is actually an internet myth. Thing is, the Pecover V. Electronic Arts lawsuit disproved that myth entirely a long time ago. When you read the Federal documents and court subpoenaed memos from that case, you'll find that it was EA, not the NFL, who made a stink over the pricing drop because they didn't want to have to lower the price of Madden going forward (and give up considerable profit margin) to combat it. In response to it, EA approached the NFL for an exclusive, in fact the documents map out the entire sequence of what happened point-by-point. EA was defeated in that case.

When you read those EA executive memos about what NFL 2K5 was doing to them, you can just picture a bunch of grown men running around the office in terror like Godzilla was coming. It's hilarious, and pathetic.

Last edited by FaceMask; 05-28-2014 at 06:18 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »