Home

NFL 2k COMEBACK? License not exclusive?

This is a discussion on NFL 2k COMEBACK? License not exclusive? within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-28-2014, 10:47 AM   #57
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: NFL 2k COMEBACK? License not exclusive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
Is there any definitive word on whether the exclusive deal is done? Odd that I can't seem to find any information about it other than it was extended a few years back up to Madden 25. You'd think the exclusive deal being continued would be easy to find news on as EA is a publicly traded company, and this is something investors and potential investors would need to know.
Nothing has come out publicly to the end of the the lapsing of the exclusivity arrangement, no console video game company not named EA Tiburon has announced a licensing agreement with the NFL and NFLPA, and no console video game company not named EA Tiburon has announced any intent to produce a console football video game.

To the extent of the body of public knowledge currently available, any rumors of any other console football games in development or pending announcement are completely and entirely baseless and there's no reason to believe any are coming. If some alternative to Madden NFL does materialize, that's great! However, there's no reason to be holding one's breath for one given what is currently known.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:51 AM   #58
All Star

Aggies7's Arena

OVR: 39

I still take everything with a grain of salt. Trust me I want 2K back in the football game market as much as the next person.

I just don't see the marketing sense in waiting til E3 to make the announcement. Just me I would have done it earlier if this is in fact true, but I am not a marketing guy.

Colorado Avalanche
Colorado Rockies
Old 05-28-2014, 10:53 AM   #59
Pro

OVR: 0

I just honestly don't see 2K coming out with and NFL game anytime soon........I would like to see what Sony could do with one if they were ever to get the rights. They do an awesome job with the Show so it makes me curious
Old 05-28-2014, 10:54 AM   #60
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Nothing has come out publicly to the end of the the lapsing of the exclusivity arrangement, no console video game company not named EA Tiburon has announced a licensing agreement with the NFL and NFLPA, and no console video game company not named EA Tiburon has announced any intent to produce a console football video game.

To the extent of the body of public knowledge currently available, any rumors of any other console football games in development or pending announcement are completely and entirely baseless and there's no reason to believe any are coming. If some alternative to Madden NFL does materialize, that's great! However, there's no reason to be holding one's breath for one given what is currently known.
Agreed there is no reason to think anyone else is developing a football game. I was merely questioning the possible implications of the lack of information on continued exclusivity with EA, and positing possible business logic for 2k to take advantage of its potential lapse. I definitely don't feel justified in hoping a new football game will be arriving.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:04 AM   #61
All Star

Aggies7's Arena

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers4190
I just honestly don't see 2K coming out with and NFL game anytime soon........I would like to see what Sony could do with one if they were ever to get the rights. They do an awesome job with the Show so it makes me curious

I agree with the Sony comment, but they would be starting from scratch, so I wouldn't expect the initial try to be anything near the quality and depth of the Show.

Colorado Avalanche
Colorado Rockies
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-28-2014, 11:13 AM   #62
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggies7
I agree with the Sony comment, but they would be starting from scratch, so I wouldn't expect the initial try to be anything near the quality and depth of the Show.
Oh I understand that. I just meant once they got their feet under them with the franchise
Old 05-28-2014, 11:14 AM   #63
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers4190
They may not come out with one for awhile, but if they have a CHANCE to, they absolutely will.

Ive seen interviews where the developers at Take Two/VC said they would LOVE to make one and have years of concepts and ideas ready to go if they get the chance.

I dont see any way that there could be a 2K football game this year, but I COULD see them announcing that one is in development.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:21 AM   #64
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Hi! I'm the one person in this thread who posted this sentiment. Feel free to address me directly next time

2K football has been "coming back" every year since All Pro Football was released. How many "anonymous sources" since then have been wrong? The dots are way too obvious to connect and the trends way too strong in the small community that is simulation sports gaming for this not to scream "publicity stunt" in big bold flashing letters.

The tweets and title of the video are "NFL 2K football to return at E3 2014". That's a statement. Not a question, not flagged with a rumor tag, nothing. That headline - which is incredibly misleading at-best and an outright lie at-worst - is obviously designed to attract page views. The content of the video obviously makes it clear that the author is dealing with a rumor. But why wouldn't he make that clear in the title of his video and/or his social media feeds? To attract attention to his videos, which are monetized with ads. There is no other reason or motive, and the wording he chose absolutely wasn't a mistake.

If I'm wrong on 2K football being dead, I'm wrong, and I welcome 2K football back to the fray open arms. I quite enjoyed the NFL 2K series and All Pro Football 2K8 when they were relevant football games. That said, at present there is nary a shred of public-facing knowledge for anyone anywhere to believe a single word coming out of any Youtuber's mouth with respect to an upcoming competitor to Madden NFL in the console football video game space. So why should I? Tell me how and why I'm wrong in my being incredulous of the source and doubting said source's motives, given the body of knowledge available.
Nah, yours was not the only post, that's why I stated "posts" and didn't refer directly to anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg713
I want 2k back as much as the next guy.. Hell I still have a tiny bit of hope that something crazy does happen at e3 only because EA is sketchy with the exclusive stuff. But These guys just make this stuff up to get views and subscribers...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzeyReign
FYI: In October I'm going to start a "College Hoops Will Return" rumor ... hey, us little youtube channels gotta eat too! haha...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
Move the goalposts enough times and you're bound to eventually be right. Next up, E3.
Again to be clear, I wasn't trying to call anyone out for that implication, I was just wondering was there something I had missed in regard to Simfball specifically taking advantage of this topic or another to drive viewers to his Youtube channel.

Anyway, my take on this news from Simfball is that he is telling the truth, simply because I have never known him to just make video game stuff up to drive Youtube hits or to draw attention. By "telling the truth" I simply mean that someone he believes should be in the know, told him the things he expressed, not that the return of NFL2k is a fact. Now as far as the title of the video, among other things you mentioned, I won't attempt to speak for Simfball because he is actually a member of OS and hopefully he finds this thread, then chooses to speak for himself.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »