Home

Just imagine what could've been with Oculus Rift/Project Morpheus

This is a discussion on Just imagine what could've been with Oculus Rift/Project Morpheus within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-29-2014, 05:06 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 26
Just imagine what could've been with Oculus Rift/Project Morpheus

I was just thinking about this the other day and it made me sad. Video games and technology are advancing beautifully, and the Oculus Rift/Project Morpheus are going to make virtual reality one step closer. Just imagine if we could play NFL 2K15 in First Person view with the one of these devices putting us in the game.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-29-2014, 09:42 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 13
Re: Just imagine what could've been with Oculus Rift/Project Morpheus

Virtual reality football games are pretty far off in the future. Racing games though will be awesome in virtual reality very early. To play a football game in virtual reality you would need an omnitreadmill in addition to virtual realty headset. There is also risk of injury if you fall off the treadmill. I believe augmented reality is much better suited for sports games. Imagine the day you use your backyard to play tennis, basketball, or baseball in augmented reality! It appears that day is kinda far into the future though. Right now the most advanced augmented reality headset is the Meta Space glasses and it is very expensive $3600.00 and only has about 40 degrees field of view which is way too small for a truly immersive experience playing sports games.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:42 AM   #3
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Why will this never happen just because 2k football died a full decade before first real wave of VR products releases?
Old 06-30-2014, 04:36 AM   #4
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

I'm realy hoping the VR continues to gain support. Excited to see(if it does continue to grow) where it leads.
I'm all for new ways to enjoy games.
For football head tracking to look around while using the gamepad for movement, would be cool.

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Old 06-30-2014, 11:01 AM   #5
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Yeah, I don't see any reason why one couldn't have this in Madden if Madden really wanted to pursue Oculus VR integration. Tiburon surely has access to VR dev kits if they want them.

I'm not sure the tech is mature enough yet, but it'd be interesting to see what they could do with it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-30-2014, 01:41 PM   #6
MVP

mestevo's Arena

Controls and view would be integral to the success/failure of this, with no middle ground. The screenshot above wouldn't be what you'd see because it lacks the full field of view (90-110 degrees I think depending on if you're referring to Sony's headset or Oculus). Also, only seeing from this view you don't get the visual feedback for sluggishly moving from one direction to the other as you step/stumble to change directions, something that could be frustrating and confusing.

Toss in some motion controls for the consoles that can support it... hold a button and then make a passing motion or something to throw could be an interesting experimental control scheme, not unlike the spray can parts of infamous. Would need a wristband strap on that controller much more than I'd ever needed for the Wii.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:02 PM   #7
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

OVR: 28

I don't think sports games - except maybe car racers - are anywhere near using VR headsets just yet simply from the standpoint of complexity of games and over-complexity of inputs (controls needed to complete an action).

I really felt something like the IllumiRoom would have been the best option in terms of full immersion for sports. It would have allowed for more dynamic camera options as the field of view is now much wider. Also, it would have made it so gamers actually felt like they were playing in real stadiums and venues. Imagine being the MLB or QB on the field with a tight, zoomed in view, surround sound blasting while the Illumiroom is projecting the entire stadium and weather effects.

SIDE NOTE: All these years and I STILL can't embed Youtube videos into a post. What am I doing wrong?????
Old 06-30-2014, 05:05 PM   #8
MVP

mestevo's Arena

Share, Embed, copy code, paste:

I am optimistic we'll see an IllumiRoom-style solution in the future. If people had issues w/ Kinect space and setup though that concept is going to be super fickle.

Last edited by mestevo; 06-30-2014 at 05:08 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »