Home

(PC) SIM Football THE VIDEO GAME (Development Stages)

This is a discussion on (PC) SIM Football THE VIDEO GAME (Development Stages) within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-23-2015, 02:58 PM   #17
Rookie

Dynasty League's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: (PC) SIM Football THE VIDEO GAME (Development Stages)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilerbuzz
But this is no different. Instead of strength and accuracy, you're just strength. The most important position in the sport basically becomes a nameless avatar. You say it will be customisable. Great. Now, we all know everyone will replicate the NFL. How do you make Drew Brees what he is?. Just completely agree with and would expect it to work as he said.

First, many games have done a direct pointing style passing system. Going back as far as Joe Montana if not further. And even games without it have implemented scenes that introduce over and under throwing mechanics such as maximum passing in 2K. Not to mention Fever. But I have to challenge the notion this would be more SIM especially when you've quarantined the viability of the individual's passing accuracy. That's makes it more video gamey imo.

You need to consider the fact that the user will tend to make riskier, bad throws than real life. Don't think for a second that tough love flies with the user. If he ends the game with 8 picks, he doesn't blame himself for making crappy throws. He'll accuse the game of cheating. That's why you see dropped picks.

Why?. Why not be an evolution of what's best in sports games?. There are some great ones out there. I just have an issue where the mindset seems to be to make one genre like another. Yes, elements and concepts have been shared and should be. But if the core doesn't start with the sport itself, it's doomed to me. Makes me think of EA's NHL talk in their approach to making NBA Delete. Not saying you're doing this. Just a reminder that this IS a football game. That should be the philosophical starting point.

This contradicts what you stated above. Now I'm confused. If this is the case, then all you've done is replaced terms and limited granularity. Instead of a "rating", it's now"tier".

I'm not trying to rain on your parade. I'm just calling out the red flags that I see and giving you, hopefully, constructive feedback. No offense is intended whatsoever.

Again, Brees and Brady are gold tier, but completely different. As a Brees fan, I see accuracy being devalued here and that's not good nor is it SIM.
Thanks for all your constructive feedback. And I understand your skepticism about my vision with in the passing game.

- The reason for making this game is to be different. There is no need for another push button football game in the video game world.

- I have played every cursor throwing game to my knowledge. All lack the SPEED needed to go sideline to sideline which I believe can be emulated with a mouse. Its the same thing when a Counter Strike PC player plays Call of Duty on a console. They hate it, "I can't aim with a controller."

- I am not trying to create a SIM NFL game. So some of those concerns about players arent factors to me. The goal is to create a SIM football game. If you picked a Drew Brees like player, your not going to have great accuracy like in Madden just because its Drew Brees. I'd argue thats a "noob" mechanic. Instead, if you have that type of player and have great skill sets with a mouse and can read a defense, youll put up dree brees like numbers. If you have a bad skill set and make bad reads, youll have a bad game. Just like drew brees does sometimes. It will be in the users hands!!!

Again going back to shooters. Think of different QBs being different guns. Yea you have the best gun in the game, but if you suck as a user playing, it doesn't matter. Its not the games fault you cant aim with the best gun in the game. Same way it wont be our games fault you can't aim and throw with the best qb in the game. You have to PRACTICE

Remember if you don't like it, you dont have to play it New ideas are rarely accepted as a whole because its different. Its not going to be for the casual football fan. Elite players will know how to read defense and where to throw the balls in the zones and ect. If it doesn't work like I invision it and its a half "butt" mechanic, I wont wont release it.

With all that being said, guys I would really like IDEAS .. This is your chance to make your own video game in a way. All input of what you have ever wanted in a football game is extremely appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Okay, if everything is being redone outright in Unity that makes more sense to me. Just wasn't connecting the dots based on what already existed public-facing.
Looking back, I could see how that was confusing. Didn't realize I was talking to someone that knew the deal
Old 04-23-2015, 03:36 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 1

Will being under pressure/on the run affect the throw at all?
Old 04-23-2015, 04:07 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
The trolling is something you should not type at all knowing you can't just hide it.

Fyi that's a definite strike for you.
Oh come on, that was funny, you need to relax. This is a sports video game forum. It's all fun. I really haven't seen someone so devoid of enjoyment on this site. Relax and enjoy when someone says something that is actually funny.

Back on topic, kudo's to you for this project. I have been doing development for nearly 20 years and I don't know if I would have the gumption for a project like this. Give it your all and enjoy.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:31 AM   #20
Rookie

You keep referencing shooters when talking about aiming. Why not have the"radius" of where you're throwing the ball be bigger for less accurate QBs? Like a shotgun blast for Ryan Leaf. Have it get bigger for longer throws based on your QB (another area that can be better for better QBs). You still get control over the general area you are throwing to, but Ryan Mallet won't be a better QB than Tom Brady.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:35 AM   #21
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynasty League

With all that being said, guys I would really like IDEAS .. This is your chance to make your own video game in a way. All input of what you have ever wanted in a football game is extremely appreciated.

To be honest, there is already a disconnect between your vision and some of us in the mechanics of a major facet of the game. That's just me being honest. In short, I wouldn't feel any real connection to this game. When it's all said and done, it's your vision. People can't help if they only have pieces of it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-24-2015, 09:36 AM   #22
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dag_19
You keep referencing shooters when talking about aiming. Why not have the"radius" of where you're throwing the ball be bigger for less accurate QBs? Like a shotgun blast for Ryan Leaf. Have it get bigger for longer throws based on your QB (another area that can be better for better QBs). You still get control over the general area you are throwing to, but Ryan Mallet won't be a better QB than Tom Brady.

This is exactly what I envisioned. But like he said, this isn't an NFL game. I don't see what wrong with that field being affected by the things that affect accuracy in real life. Setting your feet. Pressure. Weather. Distance. Even how hard I'm throwing the ball. Where is the touch mechanic? Just because I CAN throw a laser doesn't always mean I SHOULD.

Last edited by Boilerbuzz; 04-24-2015 at 09:45 AM.
Old 04-24-2015, 04:06 PM   #23
Rookie

Dynasty League's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dag_19
Yes ... This is an idea I am messing around with. On an earlier post I mentioned it as being "recoil" for lower level qbs. But I think the word choices you used to describe fit better for what I was suggesting.

The touch comes from left click right click. one lobs, one missiles.
Old 05-06-2015, 02:58 PM   #24
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc21045
Will being under pressure/on the run affect the throw at all?
I would think just running and trying to aim at the same time would be the added difficulty to the throw. You have to actually aim the target

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »