Home

Just a wayward comment on the whole anti-EA/Madden fanboy thing...

This is a discussion on Just a wayward comment on the whole anti-EA/Madden fanboy thing... within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-26-2004, 11:30 PM   #9
Hall Of Fame

Brandwin's Arena

OVR: 50
Re: Just a wayward comment on the whole anti-EA/Madden fanboy thing...

Quote:

Sully said:
Good for you.
I, on the other hand, am a fanboy of neither. I'm a fanboy of good quality sports titles. I don't feel that I have to pledge my allegiance to a certain brand, whether it be food, clothes, or gaming companies. That's just my .02. I will buy both, like I always do, and enjoy them both...like I always do.

Same here great post!
Old 06-27-2004, 12:14 AM   #10
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:

Jistic said:
I also have both, will get both, get 3 football games every year including NCAA. I also think it's completely stupid to have to defend a video game and argue over 20 yard drop backs when at the end of the day it's all opinion.

Discussion about features, legitimate bugs etc. is what these forums are all about. But I can tell you one thing. There are things I love about Madden that I think blow ESPN out of the water. There are things about ESPN that I think put both EA games to shame. That's just how it is.

I can also promise you one more thing. If next year a company no one has heard of made a new football game that kicked [censored] I'd buy that one too! If it's presentation blew away ESPN and it's franchise smoked EA, we'd all buy it. And that's how it is. There is no loyalty to any game company for me. If a company has a good reputation, I will look forward to it's games more, but if they suck....well they suck and I won't buy them.

I definatly feel tha same way. Nice post. I buy all 3 games as well.
Old 06-27-2004, 12:53 AM   #11
MVP

OVR: 16

add me to the buy all 3 club.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-27-2004, 01:08 AM   #12
MVP

brahmagoul's Arena

OVR: 12

Yeah, I much more enjoyed the posts where both games were intertwined and compared about their weakness and what needs to be improved. It gets old and annoying when that discussion turns into "that's what makes this game better."

The pyschology classes I took would have me think the bashing of one game to promote another is just for someone to justify any insecurities about a game.

I really hope I like one game a lot better than the other this year just because it's my last year of college and sports writing and extra curriculars take up a lot of time. It's intriguing to wonder what the reaction of these games will be once they come out.
Old 06-27-2004, 02:28 AM   #13
Daydream Believer

Flyboy's Arena

OVR: 26

I just don't see the point of having two pro football games.
Old 06-27-2004, 05:36 AM   #14
MVP

OVR: 8

Quote:

Flyboy said:
I just don't see the point of having two pro football games.

what's the point in having two fp shooter or racers?

To the topic: (heads up: i'm not talking any game quality here)
In the OS board ESPN has been sainted. Whenever something bad is said about the game there are at least 5 guys hard at work justifying it and trying to prove that there's nothing wrong. Why do this? If there's a fault, there's a fault. Especially if it's not up to opinion.

ESPN has also been perceived as "the light". After the $20 price announcement there have been a lot of posts like "if only the madden players just tryed ESPN they'd immediately see how much better it is and abandon Madden". So some people - lot of them here - consider it a fact (not as an opinion) that ESPN is better and that you can't think otherwise without there being something wrong with you.

and yeah, i'll buy both espn and madden.. both have good and bad things..you know the drill...
Old 06-27-2004, 07:00 AM   #15
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

OVR: 50

I agree with both yours and Flyboys posts. Will this be the new "perfect" game I've been looking for? Chances are, sadly no. I agree with Flyboy in his asking why people need two games. I have neither the time nor money to play two NFL titles. I wish I had the time to play NCAA.

I get one new game of each sports genre per year; always hoping that this years version is the game I can retire from buying a new version. I really don't care about franchises or fluffy features. I just want a game that is a virtual copy of the real thing. That when I play it the feeling that I am feeling as if I'm there playing.

That said, I feel that from what I've seen ESPN might be the ticket; for me. If asked my opinion on Madden, I feel they have stopped chasing the brass ring of pursuing the "perfect" game. By their (EA/Tiburon's) actions they seem to be in tweak mode. The HUGE assumption is that Madden is the ultimate gameplay experience. I read a review that said that very thing. I disagree. While the controls are great, the experience isn't. While all of the new franchise additions are great,as stated previously, they leave me flat. The basic Madden game is still just a series of upgrades from Madden 95.

Will people have different preferences? Yes. Some like arcade games, some simulations. I will never play Nascar Thunder; I love the dearly departed Nascar Racing series by Papyrus.(off topic, giving example) Should people be allowed their preference? Yes, again. We should't argue about it, but it is fun to see people so excited about both games. I choose ESPN. From my history with Madden games (11 titles) to seeing the new videos of ESPN; I have seen a new direction I would like to try...

P.S. I have such hope in ESPN that I bought an XBOX to play it. I haven't owned a console in 8 years.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-27-2004, 07:05 AM   #16
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Between Madden and ESPN, we could have 8 million copies sold this year. To assume that all 8 million would consider EPSN the best game would be ridiculous. I prefer ESPN but even if 65% of the people agree and only 35% prefer Madden (doubtful the gap would be even that big), that would still be about 3 million people who's honest opinion is to prefer Madden. We shouldn't label them people who don't know football and haven't given an honest effort.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »