Home

Just a wayward comment on the whole anti-EA/Madden fanboy thing...

This is a discussion on Just a wayward comment on the whole anti-EA/Madden fanboy thing... within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-27-2004, 11:37 AM   #17
Pro

OVR: 11
Re: Just a wayward comment on the whole anti-EA/Madden fanboy thing...

Hell...I wish they had 4-5 pro football games as good as these!! Keep me going the whole year!! Whole idea is to have fun...it's your time ...do as you please. Being judged a "fanboy" or whatever is silly but I must admit some of these posts recently have been terribly amusing!
Old 06-27-2004, 11:43 AM   #18
MVP

OVR: 12

This is an excelent thread. I wish more poster's felt the same as most in this thread! sometimes is hard to get good feed back on a questions or get an oppinion accross becuase so many have their guard up as if you are with the enemy (LOL).trying to discredit their precious game.

I only visit Sports Games msg.brds. but I often wonder if this happens in other genere's. do people who like Tomb Radier hate the guys that make splinter cell and pray for their downfall...lol....too funny. these are video games, enjoy the fact that there are options.

Quote: " ESPN and Madden fans should unite and bash Acclaim and 989, football games that realy suck"
Old 06-27-2004, 02:57 PM   #19
MVP

brahmagoul's Arena

OVR: 12

In the end, if you just want one game, the best to do is just rent both and read the reviews before buying it. Sometimes that's easier said than done because of the yearning to buy one on the release date. Luckily, NCAA is so good that it could help control that urge. With the price drop for at least ESPN, many more will buy both this year I predict.
Old 06-27-2004, 05:58 PM   #20
It's about that time

greenegt's Arena

OVR: 16

Both games are well done and no one should be harassed if they prefer one over the other. I happen to prefer ESPN, but Madden is a great game as well. As long as you're having fun with one and/or the other, it's all good.
Old 06-27-2004, 10:15 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:

Sully said:
Good for you.
I, on the other hand, am a fanboy of neither. I'm a fanboy of good quality sports titles. I don't feel that I have to pledge my allegiance to a certain brand, whether it be food , clothes, or gaming companies. That's just my .02. I will buy both, like I always do, and enjoy them both...like I always do.

I dunno about that dude, I'm a Wendy's fanboy for life. OMG, 99 cent menu OWNZ YOU ALL!! Just kidding, I buy both games too. Competition rules. Maybe one of the reasons football is so popular nowadays (taking away a lot of baseball's thunder over the years), is because of competition. Every year, most football fans feel that our teams can have a good chance of competing at the start of the season (well, maybe not cardinals fans, sorry guys ) The MLB and the NHL could take some lessons from NFL in this respect, because in my opinion, it leads to a much better product, like some certain sports games that we will be buying in the next few weeks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-28-2004, 09:17 AM   #22
Pro

bubba4's Arena

OVR: 6

Both of these games will have their defenders and detrators. For some reason, sports games bring out the "fanboy" in all of us. But this year is interesting because of the $19 price tag on ESPN. No matter how big of a fan you are of any football game, that price is too hard to ignore. I hope that this will start a trend in marketing games. Right now with all that I have read and "seen" of Madden, I will not pick the game up again this year. But... if it was 19 bucks?
I'm a BIGGER fanboy of a bargain! Always have been.
Bubba4
Old 06-28-2004, 09:44 AM   #23
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

Quote:

Blue_Monkey said:
Quote:

Flyboy said:
I just don't see the point of having two pro football games.

what's the point in having two fp shooter or racers?

To the topic: (heads up: i'm not talking any game quality here)
In the OS board ESPN has been sainted. Whenever something bad is said about the game there are at least 5 guys hard at work justifying it and trying to prove that there's nothing wrong. Why do this? If there's a fault, there's a fault. Especially if it's not up to opinion.

ESPN has also been perceived as "the light". After the $20 price announcement there have been a lot of posts like "if only the madden players just tryed ESPN they'd immediately see how much better it is and abandon Madden". So some people - lot of them here - consider it a fact (not as an opinion) that ESPN is better and that you can't think otherwise without there being something wrong with you.

and yeah, i'll buy both espn and madden.. both have good and bad things..you know the drill...

I'm not a sega or EA fanboy, I love NCAA and ESPN, Madden's good, I just like a change of pace from NCAA for my pro game, so I go with ESPN. I check out both every year, I have no willpower oh, I think if something bad is said about Madden, 5 people come to defend it as well...
Old 06-29-2004, 02:25 AM   #24
All Star

HMcCoy's Arena

OVR: 35

Flyboy hit it on the head.

We are all ENTHUSIASTS... we represent a teeny tiny little niche of gamers who live for these games, therefore are informed on both, cruise websites for info on both, religously play both....

I worked videogame retail for about 4 years, and I'm here to tell you...95% of the gaming community doesn't WANT 3 football games, flat out.

Who's got the cash to blow on a game that'll basically collect dust? Only the software pirates. There's only a handful of guys, even among the "high-brow, holier-than-thou, enlightened minds" (who can't fathom why these peasants don't just buy all 3 )who will put SERIOUS time into all three, ANYWAY....Yeah, it's great if you can afford to get one for on-line, one for dynasty and one to play with the homies...but the overwhelming majority don't NEED that much variety.

I just rented Mystic River, and I could not WAIT to tell my boy how good I thought that movie was...GTAIII sold trillions of copies. Why?. Because as soon as you picked up a prostitute, got some nookie in a quiet corner, and then beat that ho to death with a baseball bat....YOU COULD NOT WAIT TO TELL YOUR FREINDS. But if someone plays ESPN for the first time, and gets really hyped and zealous to tell a freind, to show that friend the cool new things ESPN football offers, now he's a stupid fanboy? Riiiiightt. Only EA hardcores bristle at this.

I think the ESPN fanbase is so eager to conquer the "barbaric Madden horde" because of the perception that the masses don't know about the 2K series. I had a guy in my store that flat out would not play NFL2K, even though every time he came into the store, everybody was either playing it or talking about it. I remember HATE hearing his stupid-[censored] reasons why Madden was better. Finally, he broke down and bought a DC and a 2K. A week later he brought the whole thing back. I respected him after that because at least he gave it an honest chance. I think that s all ESPY fans really want.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »