Home

Which Franchise mode will be better, Madden or ESPN?

This is a discussion on Which Franchise mode will be better, Madden or ESPN? within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-05-2004, 11:44 AM   #33
Hall Of Fame

Jistic's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Which Franchise mode will be better, Madden or ESPN?

Quote:

nba_baller said:
Quote:

Jistic said:
Won't really know until the games come out. Last year Madden's was better. But this year remains to be seen. ONe thing that we know Madden will still hold the edge on is the ability to import real college players.

They aren't real college players though.

Hmmmm that's funny. In my Madden franchise I have Kellen Winslow, Karlos Dansby, Antrel Rolle, Donarrius Thoman, etc. And I imported them from NCAA 2004.

And those ARE real players.
Old 07-05-2004, 07:32 PM   #34
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

Quote:

Jistic said:
Quote:

nba_baller said:
Quote:

Jistic said:
Won't really know until the games come out. Last year Madden's was better. But this year remains to be seen. ONe thing that we know Madden will still hold the edge on is the ability to import real college players.

Hmmmm that's funny. In my Madden franchise I have Kellen Winslow, Karlos Dansby, Antrel Rolle, Donarrius Thoman, etc. And I imported them from NCAA 2004.

You sure you didn't type those names in. One typo and your TE, Kellen Wanslow is no longer real.

All jokes aside I understand the lure of importing ratings of players from one game to another but if it's just about having names of players from college, both games have a solution for that. You can even pretty much match up with predicted ratings (and change them if necessary). The only advantage I see to EA's way is the one or two players you actually played with for their full seasons and imported and then played with in madden. the other players you never used before and don't use in the nfl game are placeholders just like all the others. after all NONE of the players are real. they're just a bunch of ratings with faces thrown on them and this is even more true for the rookies. If you like playing games with close to life players this one really isn't that big of a deal.
Old 07-05-2004, 09:46 PM   #35
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

I like the Coaching staffs and Coach movement in the League of Madden's Franchises. The depth of the stat sorting/tracking as well as Career Awards Tracking is awesome as well. I also agree the Draft Class Importability is huge for a few reasons:

1. You don't have to edit the rookies names,builds and equipment EVERY time you start a franchise
2. You don't have to edit rookies EVERY yr of your franchise
3. If you Only have Madden, Draft Files can be shared on the net so you can have draft classes without buying NCAA football
4. IF you have both games then draft importability offers a continuity that simply can't be matched by a pro game without a collegiate counterpart.

Plus I think this yr, NCAA added some aspects where the Players exhibit some behavioral problems...gpa and eligibility issues. I wonder if stuff like that carries over into the pro game and these same guys are the ones askin for More PT and bein cancers in the locker Room. I wonder if there'll be some Clarett or Winslow Wannabes in the game this yr.

Dam! I wish VC would make an ESPN College Football Game...imagine it...FPF, VIP, Weekly Prep (in a college football game ? are you nuts!!!? That'll be off the hook!), Year Round Recruiting ie College Hoops, Playable High School Games ie College Hoops, Players Grow...u guessed it...ie College Hoops, Then of course theirs Gameplay and Graphics...all on nfl2k5's xbox built engine. Plus ESPN Presentation (VC's specialty)...weekly highlights, Heisman race, BCS B.S. (lol), yada yada. Oh well...maybe next yr or maybe in 06 for the Xbox2. Who Knows. I'll keep ing
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-07-2004, 12:04 AM   #36
Rookie

OVR: 2

I have no problem with those who love the ESPN dynasty but importing college players is priceless. When you play a dynasty in college football even if it is the fake players in year 2010, it is priceless to see them play in the NFL after you have followed their college careers. Especially the players that you controlled. Its pretty cool to get your great qb in college as your franchise qb in nfl, or face some of your old players. You have a sense of pride for them. I know that sounds lame, but its true in a horrible sort of way.
Old 07-07-2004, 10:30 AM   #37
Rookie

I'm going to have to go with Madden. Owner Mode, Storyline Central, the newspaper, player emotions, positions battles, importing NCAA draft classes, etc. makes it the best and deepest franchise IMO.
Old 07-07-2004, 09:02 PM   #38
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

it doesn't sound lame, i'd personally just lower the value of playing against players you didn't control or play against. they were just names in one game and are just names in the other.

but Obi, you make some good points (surprise, surprise). my only argument would be that both #1 and #2 (the others aren't really about importing players) are no different by year 5 of your franchise. personally though if i was actually PLAYING both games with my time i'd be done with franchise by 5 years, lol.

i don't think this is unimportant by any means. judging from how much time I would have to actually play it'd be less important but still isn't useless by any means. i just think it's a stretch to say that people who want to PLAY the games and only have so much time to do that like me and i think most adults, it's not enough to be a HUGE reason to buy a game. there are many reasons why last year's madden franchise was better than espn with this being one of them. personally i think many of the others are as if not more significant. assistant coaches, coaches moving, players becoming coaches; owners mode; create a stadium; ea's rock solid stats and user friendly displays and more. the thing is the focus of it all is geared toward front office junkies. this isn't a bad thing but espn's franchise is geared towards the actual games. as has been said before it's owners mode vs general manager's mode. this is kind of like comparing apples to oranges. if you're the type of person that would like to control the real life runnings of a football team you're going to think the best franchise is different than someone that would rather just do things that effect how the team plays on the field. I'm the latter but overall I still think Madden had the better franchise last year but b/c of how clean it was and the size of it's options (owners mode is a pretty big option). but considering i do prefer the latter, the additions espn is making this year make me believe they may have balanced the table.

it's just like madden vs espn overall... depends on what you like.
Old 07-08-2004, 10:21 AM   #39
Rookie

Quote:

Jistic said:
Quote:

nba_baller said:
Quote:

Jistic said:

All you did was name them. THey don't look a thing like the real rookies and are just fake players.
Old 07-08-2004, 02:04 PM   #40
Imperator

Anaxamander's Arena

OVR: 19

Does anyone know if they've changed the uniform editor this year for Madden? Can you keep your logo, or is it just like last year?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »