Home

Open minds.........

This is a discussion on Open minds......... within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-06-2004, 11:11 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 1
Open minds.........

Since you cant have any discussions on the "Merits" or lack there of ESPN without the thread being locked, I will say this....
I have been playing videogame football since Tecmo Bowl. My first Madden was Madden '92. I have tried some many games.....(Joe Montana, Sportstalk football, Gameday, Fever, and many others). Im not a Madden loyalist, EA doesnt give me money to play their game. I have no vested intersted whether Madden is the best-seller or not. With that said, I want the best football game for enjoyment purposes and that's why Im giving ESPN a try...to see if the "fanboys" are right. I point out immediate plus and minuses (as I do with Madden) as I play. If ESPN is better, fine....I would definitely buy it. I have no loyalty to anyone but myself. I've tried Fever and Gameday....ESPN is much better than those games. ESPN's presentation is better than Madden's. However, it comes down to gameplay and that's where Madden still has it. Yes, it has its flaws but I see some of the same flaws in ESPN. Come on People, get your blinders off. Open-minds go both ways. Sizzle and steak. ESPN has a lot of sizzle (presentation), but is lacking a bit in the steak department. Has nothing to do with fanboys...some of you make it seem like ESPN is the best thing since slice bread......I hate to say this, but it is not. It's a good game, but it's not the Best. I will give 2k5 a try, if its better or on par with Madden....I will definitely buy it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-06-2004, 11:14 AM   #2
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64
Re: Open minds.........

Actually the previous thread wouldn't have gotten locked until your final post in it. The "Fanboys" were behaving quite well,but it appears as if you were trolling. And I am not the only one that noticed it.

Talking down to an entire forum never helps either.
Old 07-06-2004, 11:14 AM   #3
Plays well in Tennessee

Klue516's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:

MrScarface said:
Since you cant have any discussions on the "Merits" or lack there of ESPN without the thread being locked, I will say this....
I have been playing videogame football since Tecmo Bowl. My first Madden was Madden '92. I have tried some many games.....(Joe Montana, Sportstalk football, Gameday, Fever, and many others). Im not a Madden loyalist, EA doesnt give me money to play their game. I have no vested intersted whether Madden is the best-seller or not. With that said, I want the best football game for enjoyment purposes and that's why Im giving ESPN a try...to see if the "fanboys" are right. I point out immediate plus and minuses (as I do with Madden) as I play. If ESPN is better, fine....I would definitely buy it. I have no loyalty to anyone but myself. I've tried Fever and Gameday....ESPN is much better than those games. ESPN's presentation is better than Madden's. However, it comes down to gameplay and that's where Madden still has it. Yes, it has its flaws but I see some of the same flaws in ESPN. Come on People, get your blinders off. Open-minds go both ways. Sizzle and steak. ESPN has a lot of sizzle (presentation), but is lacking a bit in the steak department. Has nothing to do with fanboys...some of you make it seem like ESPN is the best thing since slice bread......I hate to say this, but it is not. It's a good game, but it's not the Best. I will give 2k5 a try, if its better or on par with Madden....I will definitely buy it.

I respect your opinion but when it comes down to it....well, its your opinion. I think ESPN is the best thing sense slice bread but thats my opinion
Old 07-06-2004, 11:26 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

Yes we all are looking for the best sim football game out. Your opinion is that you prefer Madden's gameplay over ESPN. We here don't agree, but in the end it is your opinion vs. ours. It all goes back to your game of preference. You prefer Madden and thats fine. We perfer ESPN and thats okay too. Peace Mr Scarface.
Old 07-06-2004, 11:26 AM   #5
Rookie

Jeff8275's Arena

OVR: 2

Well I'm not a fan boy either. I've been playing Football games for quite some time. I've played everything from the Intellivision Football, to 4th and Inches(the very first First Person Football I might add)on my Commodore, to TV Sports Football on my Amiga, to Tecmo Bowl, Joe Montana, NFL Gameday, Madden, NFL2K and now ESPN. First I think people should realize just how far these games have come and appreciate it. Second, no matter what, our opinions are going to differ and our tastes are going to differ so arguing over which game is better is kinda pointless and will go nowhere. We do the same thing every year which each title whether it's football, basketball, baseball or hockey. That said, I usually go with Madden every year because it suits my gameplay tastes. Last year I bought both games and I think both had their merits and both had their flaws and either way I think you won with each game. I mean either way you got a good football game that you should have been able to enjoy. This year I am going to buy ESPN first and Madden 2nd (usually the other way around). ESPN will be cheaper and I am interested to see just what they have done with the game. IMO it had so much potential last year that they were just ahair away from making the best Football game ever. That said I felt the same way about Madden. Either way this year I'll have both titles and enjoy both. I am sure we'll debate each game till we're blue in the face, but at least we'll have to great games to play while doing it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-06-2004, 11:30 AM   #6
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:

MrScarface said:

Your opinion is understood. But you must recognize something. People are different and if madden is the "best" then wouldn't people just accept that a priori and not even EXPERIMENT with anything else. You must give ROOM for the FACT that not everyone likes madden and while they recognize that ESPN isn't perfect they do just like those of us who do play madden, they deal with the faults of the game and move on finding what they do enjoy about it and keep playing. You want to say people have blinders on, and some people do, but I would assert that that statement is overblown. People have preferences as to what they like and dislike. They would rather deal with one set of problems than another set. That's all this is. We know that both games will have a set of problems, the issue is which set of problems one is willing to deal with. Now even though I say this that doesn't mean that we cannot say that one of the games outshines the other in specific areas. LOL right, what have I just typed? But with our statements we must realize the author of the statement, his/her preferences and the set of problems that he/she is willing to deal with. That's how I think we evaluate gameplay. The point: people want absolute objective criteria for evaluating games. Well good luck. All we have is Sunday afternoon and the experiences that some of us have had on the field. And we can look and play both games and find some elements that are akin to what we see on Sunday and what we've experienced. And we can look and play both games and say, what is this BS LOL. That's where the "video game" takes over. We must remember one thing, yes these are football games, but at there foundation they are still video games; games that the developers try to make for all to enjoy. And if they are for all to enjoy, then that means there will be a set of problems to deal with.

Now aesthetics and extras (graphics and animations) is a "bit" different. Extras can be evaluated according to their logic, how they fit in the game and their depth, what they add to the game overall ect. Graphics and animations, I think that we can say that both games look good without even comparing the two. But if you want to say ESPN's presentation is better then give a description of why. It is better because of the Depth of the telecast, the personalities involved ect. We like to give evaluations but skip descriptions and what led to those evaluations. In the end, enjoy the games, and realize that you WILL come to deal with a set of problems in the gameplay no matter which game you choose.
Old 07-06-2004, 01:02 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:

LBzrule said:
People have preferences as to what they like and dislike. They would rather deal with one set of problems than another set. That's all this is. We know that both games will have a set of problems, the issue is which set of problems one is willing to deal with.

BINGO.

The tie breaker in alot situations like that is whateva game you're more familiar with.
Old 07-06-2004, 07:20 PM   #8
MVP

Rickster101's Arena

OVR: 20

How's this for being opened minded,both game seem to do a great job of simulating the game of football and over the years of the real pro game it has changed and evolved.

I've been watching the pro NFL game since the 60's and have seen every Super Bowl played and the way video games present the game of NFL football is incredible,if you think they'er not doing a great job then reflect back to the old days when 16 bit was the rage or even farther pong.

These games today are fantastic in almost every aspect and are getting better. I've played quite a few over the years which is saying a lot and the play style today is all out there,I don't think you'd fine too much of a differnce in what these video game companys are putting out its still "Football".

Sure there are bugs and what not but they'er all fun as hell and very relistic in there appoaches to providing and presenting the NFL game.

So I see no reason to gripe myself with all the features they pack in theres somthing for everyone to enjoy or not just my .02 worth,main thing is to still have fun no matter which way you go.

Holla Back
Rickster101

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »