Home

Gridiron Champions (IMV Gaming college football Kickstarter)

This is a discussion on Gridiron Champions (IMV Gaming college football Kickstarter) within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 04:13 PM   #9
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: Gridiron Champions (IMV Gaming college football Kickstarter)

If these guys' Twitter account is to be believed, they've apparently raised nearly $20,000 this month towards making the game.

This despite that the company has shown no gameplay footage (the most advanced thing they've shown is an empty stadium fly-through video), still doesn't claim to have an engineer on staff (though apparently they've got an arrangement with some unnamed third-party developer to build the game for them if they raise the money?), and generally hasn't demonstrated any meaningful ability to execute on their ambitious goals.

Fools and money are soon parted, I guess.
Old 05-21-2017, 06:06 PM   #10
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Really odd open ended funding model that is literally just 'click here to give us money' with no semblance of a campaign other than 'we're going to spend $600 on gaming consoles and put stickers on them if we get to $850,000' among some other token gifts, don't know why anyone would throw money at this without seeing more.

They're currently looking for a developer and an investor, so this is literally the equivalent of 2 people from this forum with some big ideas asking for money.

I'm not sure this is even the money to make a game, it seems like the money to set up the initial company and attract investors.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:07 PM   #11
MVP

TheRosterMaster's Arena

OVR: 0

I've been following them for a little while now so i can give you guys an update of where they are at for those that havent been following.

IMV has found a developer that will co-produce the game. The company wants the least amount of $$$ that IMV thinks will be enough to make the game, $850,000. Once they get that money the developer will start going into full development. IMV doesn't want to release the developer's name until they raise the $$$ cause they dont want people harrassing them. Based on what they have said in live streams and on twitter I have a gut feeling the developer that they will work with is Psyonix (creators of Rocket League), but this is basically me guessing with a little bit of knowledge to back it up.

As of now they have a system of gaining $$$ through donations, kind of like the way Patreons are set up. Certain amount of $$$ will get you certain perks.

The reason more people are sending IMV $$$ is because they have gotten some solid investors/ potential investors and ambassadors. Their most recent ambassador to join the team is a YouTuber called QJB (has over 1.1 million subs). Potential investors currently named are Spencer Dinwiddie (Brooklyn Nets PG) and Lamar Louis (Baltimore Ravens LB).

Right now IMV is looking to get 7,500 people to send them donations (2,500 at each donation level). Once/If they hit that mark they will have $1,020,000. After that Spencer Dinwiddie will throw in an extra $100,000. Lamar Louis' investment details are not public. If IMV is able to get all that $$$ then expect Kirk Herbstriet to get involved.

Since I know all of this you guys prob think im an IMV fanboy, but im not. I dont plan on donating un less this really takes off to the point that i can 100% trust what they are doing.
MLB: Pirates

Working on:

NBA 2K20 FDU Fictional Draft Classes
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-22-2017, 02:23 AM   #12
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRosterMaster
I've been following them for a little while now so i can give you guys an update of where they are at for those that havent been following.

--SNIP--
Interesting, thanks for the info; hadn't really been following it too closely.

I get where you're going with the Patreon comparison. As someone who supports about a dozen different things that site, though, I'd like to note a key difference: the artists and personalities I back on Patreon are actively producing content which I may consume daily / weekly / monthly (depending on the thing I'm backing). In other words, I'm very obviously seeing a product in return for my investment. For example, the developers of Dwarf Fortress are on Patreon, and those guys at the very least are dropping long-form weekly updates as to what they are working on and details about the development challenges they take on and overcome, if not dropping a new game build entirely. Another example - I support internet video game critic and personality Jim Sterling on Patreon, and in return for the many patron dollars he receives from people like myself he produces new video content basically daily.

On the other hand, IMV Gaming at this very moment is producing nothing of value, they have never produced anything of value, and apparently they will never personally produce anything of value; they're an intermediary with a wish, basically. This is more like a GoFundMe than anything else, IMO. They could walk away today and the people who pledged money to them would be owed nothing and would have received nothing. As you alluded to, it feels really shady and it's hard to trust that business model as a consumer.

As for whether Psyonix is involved, it's a reasonable guess but I highly doubt it. Those guys spent a bit over $1 million to make Rocket League and have seen a hundred-fold return on investment since the game released in 2015. They aren't hurting for money; if they wanted to make a college football game, they'd just do it.

Last edited by CM Hooe; 05-22-2017 at 02:36 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 05-22-2017, 10:37 AM   #13
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24

If they want my money, name the developer. I highly doubt it would be Psyonix as that would be ludicrous to keep under wraps. Actually I don't know why they would keep it under wraps at all.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:11 PM   #14
Rookie

TheWalkingCash's Arena

I'll believe it when I see it.

Pelicans

Redskins
Old 05-22-2017, 04:01 PM   #15
Farewell and 'ado

DocHolliday's Arena

OVR: 19

Ill agree with CM on this one. Seems like a couple of Bros with some time on their hands and a decent ability to write.

I would not touch this with a ten foot pole.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:00 PM   #16
MVP

The whole premise makes no sense. If this mystery developer thought it was a good idea they would fund it themselves and cut these guys out. They have no IP on a college football game, they bring nothing in terms of licensing, and frankly they add no real value.The fact people are giving these guys money on a hope and a prayer is scary in it's own right.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »