Home

EA exclusive NFL agreement

This is a discussion on EA exclusive NFL agreement within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 09:59 AM   #17
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: EA exclusive NFL agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzo0007
I think eventually, something has got to give. Either, EA will find its not in their best interest to pay for the exclusive rights, especially if enough people boycott Madden. It might not be profitable.

Also, I think it might make more business sense, especially with their non-profit status revoked, for the NFL to license their games to other developers. I think they could sell many more copies than relying on Madden alone. But again, I think it comes down to what EA is paying the NFL and if they still think its viable.
The exclusive has been around for 13 years now. It's not going anywhere. EA makes plenty enough on madden ultimate team to keep it going for another 13.

The NFL likes exclusives. They can control the image better. Easier to make sure EA isn't putting too many violent hits or unwanted content in the game compared to dealing with multiple companies.

There is no exclusive in the mobile market and the latest attempt was Joe Montana, which looks horrendous.

I think we're screwed as far as new football games go. On the plus side, if gotten pretty good at guitar playing Rocksmith while I wait on the exclusive.
Old 02-04-2017, 10:35 AM   #18
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
I think eventually, something has got to give. Either, EA will find its not in their best interest to pay for the exclusive rights, especially if enough people boycott Madden. It might not be profitable.

Also, I think it might make more business sense, especially with their non-profit status revoked, for the NFL to license their games to other developers. I think they could sell many more copies than relying on Madden alone. But again, I think it comes down to what EA is paying the NFL and if they still think its viable.
The NFLPA also admitted a few years ago they have a strong relationship with EA.

When the license was up for discussion 13 years ago, it was proven that NFL could make more money with one license holder vs all 4 companies making games.

I'm all for competition, but the NFL would need to blow up their business model of exclusive licenses before anything is even thought about.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:25 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 2

*sigh...You all have great points. But I think that just as the NFL changed their existing strategy for video game licensing to disallow for multiple parties, it could certainly change again. I imagine that something drastic would have to happen given that EA/NFL relationship is supposedly so strong. Just remember that nothing is forever and things change. Shenmue 3 finally coming into fruition is a prime example.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:52 PM   #20
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Yeah have to just accept we'll no longer have multiple games to choose from... well at least for the rest of my life.

At least I lived through the years we were able to get multiple games.
Those were fun times of seeing what each game brought that year.

We all know what we're getting every year now.... Either accept it and support EA or not.

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Old 02-06-2017, 01:08 PM   #21
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

Quote:
*sigh...You all have great points. But I think that just as the NFL changed their existing strategy for video game licensing to disallow for multiple parties, it could certainly change again. I imagine that something drastic would have to happen given that EA/NFL relationship is supposedly so strong. Just remember that nothing is forever and things change. Shenmue 3 finally coming into fruition is a prime example.
Taxes?

Honestly, it's not the first time this topic has been brought up in the last decade and it probably won't be the last.

If I had a nickel for every time I've heard the term boycott in the last decade?.......

Last edited by roadman; 02-06-2017 at 01:10 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-09-2017, 01:16 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Taxes?

Honestly, it's not the first time this topic has been brought up in the last decade and it probably won't be the last.

If I had a nickel for every time I've heard the term boycott in the last decade?.......

Yeah, well you do what you can, ya know? When the only game in town, in my opinion, plays terribly, you look for ways to try and make it happen. And I guess the reason a boycott keeps getting brought up is that people are becoming increasingly dissatisfied with the product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-09-2017, 01:59 PM   #23
MVP

OVR: 0

The NFL is running the show here guys....and EA can either pay up or there will be no NFL videogame, it's that simple. It would be interesting though if told the NFL no, we're not paying for an exclusive license because there is no other company making games. Wonder who would blink first? The NFL which has many other sources of exclusive license revenue, or EA in which Madden makes up a large portion of their profits, portfolio, and identity. EA is stuck behind the 8 ball.
Old 02-09-2017, 02:54 PM   #24
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

Quote:
Yeah, well you do what you can, ya know? When the only game in town, in my opinion, plays terribly, you look for ways to try and make it happen. And I guess the reason a boycott keeps getting brought up is that people are becoming increasingly dissatisfied with the product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't disagree, but for each person that is dissatisfied with the game, there are two new people to replace, especially with the popularity of MUT and DC.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »