Home

EA exclusive NFL agreement

This is a discussion on EA exclusive NFL agreement within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 03:46 PM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: EA exclusive NFL agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I don't disagree, but for each person that is dissatisfied with the game, there are two new people to replace, especially with the popularity of MUT and DC.
The game has evolved a lot.

I hate where we are at with football games right now, but Madden has a lot of features. There is a wide range of things Madden can do to appeal someone from every demographic. Personally, I think the football sucks. But the concept behind Draft Champions is awesome, MUT is fun in an incredibly nostalgic way, The franchise elements have always been there, and now you can do it online with your friends. I don't even really have to play "football" in the game to enjoy it.

I think the only thing they are missing is something like 2K has with Online Team Play. I know they shelved it because they didn't think it was a priority, but My Park and Pro-Am are some incredible features of the 2K franchise that have to be incredibly profitable.

Last edited by Thunderhorse; 02-11-2017 at 03:48 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-12-2017, 06:38 PM   #26
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhorse
I think the only thing they are missing is something like 2K has with Online Team Play. I know they shelved it because they didn't think it was a priority, but My Park and Pro-Am are some incredible features of the 2K franchise that have to be incredibly profitable.
I think a big challenge of making 11-on-11 online team-up fun for football (as opposed to 11-on-11 team-up in FIFA, 6-on-6 in EASHL, or 5-on-5 in NBA 2K Pro-AM) is making playing as an offensive lineman fun. I don't think any football video game to ever exist has even attempted proper pass blocking controls beyond "run into the other guy". I could also see defensive team communication - particularly when executing zone coverages - being a big problem, and those situations could easily devolve into utter chaos that doesn't resemble real-life football at all.

I suppose you could make it 7-on-7 to get around the OL problem at least, but in the case of Madden NFL in particular that goes against one of John Madden's most important concerns (he still consults on the game, believe it or not), that being 11-on-11 football.

I'd love to see some team (presumably Tiburon at this point) take an honest crack at it, all that said.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:36 PM   #27
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
I think a big challenge of making 11-on-11 online team-up fun for football (as opposed to 11-on-11 team-up in FIFA, 6-on-6 in EASHL, or 5-on-5 in NBA 2K Pro-AM) is making playing as an offensive lineman fun. I don't think any football video game to ever exist has even attempted proper pass blocking controls beyond "run into the other guy". I could also see defensive team communication - particularly when executing zone coverages - being a big problem, and those situations could easily devolve into utter chaos that doesn't resemble real-life football at all.

I suppose you could make it 7-on-7 to get around the OL problem at least, but in the case of Madden NFL in particular that goes against one of John Madden's most important concerns (he still consults on the game, believe it or not), that being 11-on-11 football.

I'd love to see some team (presumably Tiburon at this point) take an honest crack at it, all that said.
5 on 5.

Let two guys be lineman if they want. Let them play WR/TE if they don't want to. I think this would create an interesting dynamic if the other 6 players on the field are generics with basic abilities.

If 5's are too much. Go back to 3.

Last edited by Thunderhorse; 02-13-2017 at 01:06 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:16 AM   #28
MVP

reverend_heat's Arena

OVR: 6

Makes you wonder if EA still pays for exclusivity to keep others out of the market, (as was the point initially for sure) or if they feel like they are somewhat of a prisoner to the deal now, as in, if they give it up would the NFL immediately go to Take-Two Interactive and leave EA without the ability to make Madden at all.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:28 PM   #29
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverend_heat
if they give it up would the NFL immediately go to Take-Two Interactive and leave EA without the ability to make Madden at all.
This is an interesting thought.

It's certainly a perspective that is more forgiving of EA, which isn't something I really don't like to do, but it has merit.

Maybe having the exclusive isn't all that great because of the heat for being the only guys that can make a game. I notice a lot of guys who loathe 2K do hold out hope that EA will compete in that market. EA has at least tried in that regard when it comes to that niche. Take-Two probably doesn't have that issue - there are still (albeit limited) next gen options out there for people who don't want 2K's product.
Old 03-18-2017, 02:01 AM   #30
Rookie

steeleye5's Arena

Ea/NFL arrangement just for 3rd party companies? If a first party developer came around and said lets make a football game with the NFL in it, could they do it?
Old 03-18-2017, 09:52 AM   #31
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeleye5
Ea/NFL arrangement just for 3rd party companies? If a first party developer came around and said lets make a football game with the NFL in it, could they do it?
No, not in the console or pc space. I think some companies have bought rights in the mobile space though.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-18-2017, 02:53 PM   #32
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
No, not in the console or pc space. I think some companies have bought rights in the mobile space though.
Did something change with that?

I thought that was how games like "The Show" were able to beat 2K's baseball game out of the market, That's Sony's game. Perhaps this was possible within the language of their specific, individual agreement and not applicable to EA's relationship with the NFL?

For years, some people pined for Microsoft to remake the fever series.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »