Home

Should I try ESPN?

This is a discussion on Should I try ESPN? within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-09-2004, 03:50 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 14
Should I try ESPN?

Thought Id ask here because most people on the ESPN board seem to like it a lot. Thing is Ive always played EA games when it comes to football. I like NCAA 2005, but its not hooking me like 2004 did... Any NCAA players that have played ESPN that can give me a comparison?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2004, 03:55 PM   #2
2023 National Champions

Psyblast's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: Should I try ESPN?

Well I absolutely love both games, but I will say this.

The controls are so different, it is very frustrating at times. The running game is totally different, with different buttons doing different things. But if you can adapt to things like that, then yeah, I'd give ESPN a try.
Old 08-09-2004, 05:11 PM   #3
Rookie

OS_Noles_Fan_#1's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker8
Thought Id ask here because most people on the ESPN board seem to like it a lot. Thing is Ive always played EA games when it comes to football. I like NCAA 2005, but its not hooking me like 2004 did... Any NCAA players that have played ESPN that can give me a comparison?
ESPN is a vastly superior game to NCAA 2005.
Old 08-09-2004, 05:13 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 12

Both very good games, but very different. If you are willing to accept the fact that you will be clumsy as hell with ESPN at first and will be hitting all of the wrong buttons, then by all means go for it. If you can give yourself a week or so to get adjusted, you will probably like it a lot.
Old 08-09-2004, 05:54 PM   #5
Pro

Greenevol's Arena

OVR: 7

ESPN plays a great game of football.

The franchise mode is a train wreck of bugs and glitches. But from kickoff to the final whistle, its plays fantastic.

Its also the most realistic looking game ever, IMHO. Ive had it since release day, and im still seeing new animations.

And, its only $20 bucks.

Im big into franchise/dynasty, so ive played more NCAA because the dynasty mode is better.

It takes some getting used to, but ESPN is worth every penny of hte $20 bucks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2004, 06:07 PM   #6
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker8
I really enjoy both games, but transitioning back and forth does take time. After NCAA 2004, ESPN feels herky jerky. But when you go back NCAA after several ESPN games, you don't feel like you have as much control over players....almost like you are docking a boat. After a few games, you feel back at home, just give yourself some time.
Old 08-09-2004, 06:11 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by OS_Noles_Fan_#1
ESPN is a vastly superior game to NCAA 2005.
I disagree. It's better, but no vastly so. There are problems with ESPN that are overlooked only to have NCAA get blasted for the same problems.

For instance, drops are prevalent with the lesser-rated receivers, AI QBs often complete a low percentage of their passes, and, although I'm not a great joystick jockey, I can usually hold the CPU to 10 points or under, and very few yards, with most teams (the exception being Arizona; I get killed when I am the Cards).

There are other things, too. The running is a bit jerky, some of the motions are awkward, and franchise AI is flawed (especially trade AI).

Now, these things are more forgivable for ESPN than for NCAA, I think, because the game has not been around as long. But I really think people are turning a blind eye to the obvious flaws in the game, and to say that its a vastly superior game to NCAA is to overlook many ESPN's shortcomings.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:34 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

I have both games and I think NCAA is the better overall game. ESPN is worlds better than last years game but still has a ways to go before it's a solid overall game. I'd wait till next year and perhaps ESPN will have it together. For this year you will just continue to play NCAA 2005.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »